FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If somebody can deliver to me near Fort Bragg Ca or Chico I can get it to Florence Or. I think that should fill in the west coast gap. Might take a lot of "dum dums"!

This is the latest... the green lines highlight what's already underway... the yellow what's next (more or less! :D). The two batons may take different routes, or they may stay connected. It will all depend on availability of drivers.

The two "red x's" point to the spots where we still need some coverage.

View attachment 1336593

Montana? It will probably be summer time. Even if we get coverage in AR, I doubt we will be able to make good progress through the Sierras and the Northwest in the Winter.

Those of you who haven't checked the two ongoing threads... make sure to do so! They are really cool!

Our Travelogue...
Travelogue...part duex

Good news is that the red "x" area is covered now. We're good to go from Memphis to Texas.

Heading into Long Island NY to meet up with 4 Other GCLC members + 4-5 Other FJ40.
Tour LI then Back into NJ.
Sun Oct 16th. Meeting Roland for Baton Hand Off at Morristown Nat. Historical Park (Home of Jockey Hollow & George Washington HQ.)

If somebody can deliver to me near Fort Bragg Ca or Chico I can get it to Florence Or. I think that should fill in the west coast gap. Might take a lot of "dum dums"!

Good news is that the red "x" area is covered now. We're good to go from Memphis to Texas.

Well! Then it seems like we're covered all the way into Washington State and beyond! Scheduling such a long leg will be a challenge... but it's got to be done, so I'll come up with an initial draft in the next few days and we'll see where that takes us...

Well! Then it seems like we're covered all the way into Washington State and beyond! Scheduling such a long leg will be a challenge... but it's got to be done, so I'll come up with an initial draft in the next few days and we'll see where that takes us...

@Bripars40 is Memphis to Hot Springs

@cruiserbarn is Hot Springs to Texarkana

@Copenhagen1 is Texarkana to some point east of Dallas

@cbmontgo is Dallas to Weatherford TX and will deliver to @1911. Not sure where it goes from there.

Tentative plan for now is @Bripars40 meets @cruiserbarn in Hot Springs on Sunday Dec 11. Probably be the next weekend before I can get it to Dallas.

@iptman , have you been in touch with @Booch ? I'm not sure when he's planning to arrive here in Charleston... I'm afraid @ErikinSC and I may be heading down to St Augustine without the baton on the 19th...

@Bripars40 is Memphis to Hot Springs

@cruiserbarn is Hot Springs to Texarkana

@Copenhagen1 is Texarkana to some point east of Dallas

@cbmontgo is Dallas to Weatherford TX and will deliver to @1911. Not sure where it goes from there.

From here, I will take it northwest towards @Fireman , who is in Iowa Park (near Wichita Falls).

@Fireman will take it northwest towards @POTATO LAUNCHER in Amarillo.

If there is someone in west Texas that wants to participate, we'll have to figure how to include them - I could go west/southwest from here, and they could take it north?

EDIT: @graham5david in Odessa would like to be in the relay. Looking at the map, it would be a little shorter for him to go to Amarillo than either Wichita Falls or to meet me. Would it be possible to include him in the Amarillo to New Mexico leg somewhere? Odessa is a long way from anywhere! ;) (I used to live in Midland).

Last edited:
Absolutely, think I have a 79' 40 doing NM route with me. All 40s are welcome to join in. It is 275 miles from Amarillo to Odessa. We should be able to make that happen.
Lee, I did my time in "slowdeatha". 9 years was all I could do.

Last edited:
From here, I will take it northwest towards @Fireman , who is in Iowa Park (near Wichita Falls).

If there is someone in west Texas that wants to participate, we'll have to figure how to include them - I could go west/southwest from here, and they could take it north?

EDIT: @graham5david in Odessa would like to be in the relay. Looking at the map, it would be a little shorter for him to go to Amarillo than either Wichita Falls or to meet me. Would it be possible to include him in the Amarillo to New Mexico leg somewhere? Odessa is a long way from anywhere! ;) (I used to live in Midland).
@POTATO LAUNCHER will bring the batons to me in New Mexico, maybe in Romeroville, NM along the 1926-1937 alignment of Route 66. I'll take one baton to @AZOKIE, maybe in Quemado along US 60, and (hopefully) the other to @Living in the Past. From there, I don't know.

Absolutely, think I have a 79' 40 doing NM route with me. All 40s are welcome to join in. It is 275 miles from Amarillo to Odessa. We should be able to make that happen.

Good deal; hopefully @graham5david will see this and let us know what he thinks.

Lee, I did my time in "slowdeatha". 9 years was all I could do.

We did seven years in Midland, from 1981-'88. We didn't mind it at the time, kind of liked it - but I wouldn't move back!

Me in 1981:

you guys just let me know the date and time and where to meet and I will make it happen. I can meet y'all in Amarillo or nm or wherever. Just give me a heads up.

Good deal; hopefully @graham5david will see this and let us know what he thinks.

We did seven years in Midland, from 1981-'88. We didn't mind it at the time, kind of liked it - but I wouldn't move back!

Me in 1981:

slowdeatha. Lol. I call it the but crack of texas. I'm good to meet you guys wherever. Just let me know and I will make it happen.

I did five years in New Orleans from 1978 to 1983.

Here I am in 1980:

Vermilion-Block-380-'A'.jpg

I designed the platform shown (during installation) at age 24, it's 110 miles offshore in 340 feet of water. Thirty years after the above photo was taken it looked like this, not too many months after the Deepwater Horizon accident. Of course it made the national news also:

Vermilion-Block-380-'A'-(1).jpg

Last edited:
@iptman , have you been in touch with @Booch ? I'm not sure when he's planning to arrive here in Charleston... I'm afraid @ErikinSC and I may be heading down to St Augustine without the baton on the 19th...
I have. I just picked up the baton from @Shark56 this afternoon. I plan to head down Skyline Drive next Sunday for the handoff to @Booch. That gives him almost 3 weeks to get it to you.

Charlestong8tr, are you and ErikinSC still planning on a November 19 meet date in Saint Augustine? sggoat just sent me a PM and said that he would not be there in Saint Augustine until November 26th. I think sggoat is supposed to take it from St. Augustine to Alabama to meet with GaArchitect. I can make either one of those days and I am planning on taking partial trip with the baton holder. I can even hold onto the Baton if sggoat can't make it until the 26th.

I have. I just picked up the baton from @Shark56 this afternoon. I plan to head down Skyline Drive next Sunday for the handoff to @Booch. That gives him almost 3 weeks to get it to you.

Sorry been crazy busy with work traveling again today , I may have an issue getting the baton on Sunday I broke a valve spring on my return trip of camping this past weekend . Ive ordered a complete set which I will be swapping out sat please keep fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom