FJ Cruiser prototype - for real? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

72cruiser,
i had one pic left on a friends comp, i lost all my other pics because my comp took a dump on me...

...so yulp its a new one..

it was from a run on Bad Luck Parie...

I've been looking at this thing for a few months now and still don't really know how I feel about it. Things I like is that it doesn't totally look like everything else on the road - one of these would draw attention, for sure. If it's as tough as an FJ, that would be good. Given the choice between this and a Taco, like Lowtide, I'd probably take the Taco. maybe that's just because it's a little too Moon Patrol for me or seomthing.
zMoon_Patrol.gif

I don't like EVERY aspect of the design, but overall it appeals to me. Some aspects are far too busy but the key thing is that it may represent a return to the roots of the cruiser -more off raod /less luxo barge. Who knows, maybe front and rear winch options. You have to like the painted metal exposed in the interior and those adjustable search lights in the mirrors. I just have one word for Toyota: DIESEL

The made in Mexico thing does creep me out -anything else from Toyota made there? I know Volkswagon has a plant there -isn't that where the new Beetles are made? Their quality seems pretty good.

airon23 said:
Maybe if everyone gets together and lets toyota know what is really wanted is the old fj40 body and just maybe a few upgrades maybe then they'll listen to us and make one?

i would buy what you are describing in two seconds as long as they kept costs pretty low.

I don't mean to dis the 40 but I think it is seen as too small to be marketable to a wider market. Real (usable) back seats are required as is some interior storage space for most people's needs. Perhaps Toyota is aiming for a trump card in the Xterra market segment -FJ tradition, better off-road capability, and unique styling. If the basic package is good (Tundra or Tacoma chasis?) can't it be tweeked to the extreme if wanted? Think of the TRD packages that could be avilable dealer installed -not to mention what people like Christo could do....

Replacing the RAV4??? That doesn't sound too "cruiser tough"

Usable back seats fold flat to create decent cargo area. check out the materials -metal and washable fabric. This ain't no girly Rav4...... C'mon, you guys won't be happy unless they build a soft top will you

airon23 said:
Maybe if everyone gets together and lets toyota know what is really wanted is the old fj40 body and just maybe a few upgrades maybe then they'll listen to us and make one?
If only the entire LC community represented a large enough demographic for
Toyota Motor Sales, USA not to sneeze at. But alas, we do not.
If everyone on this forum were to buy the same new vehicle at the same time, in
NA, that'd still only be 3572 units. One major metropolitan dealership probably
sells more Corollas than that in a quarter. We simply are not economically viable
to TMS USA.
I believe that Toyota of Japan might like to market more vehicles here. But who'd
buy a new Hilux with a 2RZ-FE if they could get a Tacoma with similar dimensions
and the 5VZ-FE for less? Unless they gave us the SFA Hilux and/or
1PZ/1KZ/whichever diesel they're putting in it nowadays.
And I wouldn't count on us ever getting a Toyota diesel of any kind anymore. Now
that people are willing to buy hybrids, TMS USA's reasoning for marketing a diesel,
fuel economy, is now moot to them. Even if they were to begin marketing a direct
competitor to the 250(0) and 350(0) series pickups, I foresee them going with
bigger hybrid powerplants instead of diesel. The only way we could possibly get a
diesel p/u here is if they somehow decided to make a diesel/electric hybrid for
heavier applications. But there really isn't any reason for them to do that. In a
hybrid, it's the ISA that makes all the power, even with the motor running. So even
from a low-end torque standpoint, a diesel makes little sense to them. You get far
more low end torque at far lower RPMs from an ISA than from a diesel.
This depresses me, because long-term, the hybrids aren't reliable. The battery is
only designed to last 10 years or so. And they won't maintain a stock of them after
that. Of course, you could still run them with the engine, but it's vastly underpowered for the vehicle.
And since the batteries weigh close to half a ton (for the Prius), labor for swapping
one out will likely be more than it'd cost to trade it in on a new car.
Oh, and watch for the big p/us to go hybrid, as well. Another reason for Toyota not
to bring in a diesel p/u. No one else will be offering one either. Nothing to compete
with.

OK, I'm depressed now ;-(

I guess I'll keep looking at used 100's or just keep my 80 forever

landtank said:
I think that they are over thinking things. Bring back the timeless design of the later 40s with the driveline out of an 80 series. Plain and simply, a Rubicon Killer.

ah another truck prone to head gasket problems

the is 300 will be all new as an 06 model coming out fall of 05 - 3 versions, 4dr, 2dr, 2dr hardtop convertible - that's the current lineup anyway, but always subject to change...

Too small? Dodge is selling the heck out those POS Heeps and they are even smaller. Seems like Toyota should be able to pound that market and really cut a huge gouge in the Heep monopoly. Let alone pick up those who would like to have a good wheeler and hate Heeps.

Heck, I'd buy one if affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom