Back in the club! New to me 2007 FJ Cruiser (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sold my 2007 FJ cruiser when I was living in DC and I was having to commute in crazy traffic. It just wasn't ideal at the time, ended up picking up a turbo diesel Volkswagen and sold it. I have regretted it ever since!

Fast forward yesterday, I saw one pop up that was finally priced realistically, two owner vehicle and the guy had owned it since 8000 mi with full maintenance records.

I need some little things, passenger side seat belt won't retract, CV axle boot is leaking on the front passenger side, paint on the very front of the hood has a bunch of chips.

I'll be going through it probably next week. I just trailered it because I couldn't find anybody else to go with me to get it. Runs great! 260k on the clock.

PXL_20231201_202253432.jpg
PXL_20231201_211058105.jpg
PXL_20231201_211205709.jpg

Congratulations, a great Toyota that gets a bad rap. For starters that front “lip” on the hood is plastic, it can still be gotten from Toyota prepainted.

I sold my 2007 FJ cruiser when I was living in DC and I was having to commute in crazy traffic. It just wasn't ideal at the time, ended up picking up a turbo diesel Volkswagen and sold it. I have regretted it ever since!

Fast forward yesterday, I saw one pop up that was finally priced realistically, two owner vehicle and the guy had owned it since 8000 mi with full maintenance records.

I need some little things, passenger side seat belt won't retract, CV axle boot is leaking on the front passenger side, paint on the very front of the hood has a bunch of chips.

I'll be going through it probably next week. I just trailered it because I couldn't find anybody else to go with me to get it. Runs great! 260k on the clock.

View attachment 3496695View attachment 3496694View attachment 3496696
Looks Great! Go with SafelyRestore for your seatbelt retractor. I replaced my front nose piece. Went with black. But since, I had a full body Line-X done on the rig.

Looks Great! Go with SafelyRestore for your seatbelt retractor. I replaced my front nose piece. Went with black. But since, I had a full body Line-X done on the rig.
Toyota had a whole seat belt assembly for 168 so I'm just going to pick that up. Quicker and brand new everything. Good to know though!

I see in the manual 10.4 quarts for coolant on the automatic FJ cruiser, I'm currently draining it and it looks like I'm going to be lucky to get a full 2 gallons out of it, I did the radiator and the drain on the passenger side. Does that sound about right? I'm sure some residual will stay in the block.

Well I left the engine block drain trickling while I ran to grab coolant. When I got back it looked like I had a little over 2 gallons so I feel good about that. Toyota coolant is expensive.... they're proud of that stuff!

I'm going to run it in tomorrow and have the transmission serviced at Toyota. For $299 it seems like a good deal. Especially when you consider the price of the fluid alone.

The lady at the tax office said, "I don't see these often, they are expensive". $952 to register it here in Georgia. Taxable value on books was $13k

Stings a bit, but I plan to keep this forever.

Nice find! Super clean.

Yeah good call on getting it all baselined. Id have chimed in had I seen this while you were draining coolant, but would have been a good thermostat change time (although its so up high, its still easy when full).

299 for trans flush sounds very cheap....make sure they are not just doing a pan drop and refill, as that is only maybe 4 qts. of the fluid.

Nice find! Super clean.

Yeah good call on getting it all baselined. Id have chimed in had I seen this while you were draining coolant, but would have been a good thermostat change time (although its so up high, its still easy when full).

299 for trans flush sounds very cheap....make sure they are not just doing a pan drop and refill, as that is only maybe 4 qts. of the fluid.
No it was the full flush with I think 11 qts, I'll have to check the ticket to see exact amount. They even gave me $20 off and a cookie lol because it took them 2.5 hours to do it. I went to Milton Martin Toyota. They seem like good folks.

I decided to just get a Toyota CV boot kit while I was there so I can repair a torn outer boot. I am not a fan of aftermarket CV axles so I'll give Thai ago.

Brake pads on back were just about metal on metal so I plan to change rotors and pads all around when my parts come it. I went RockAuto for the pads and rotors with the corrosion coating.

Also got plugs as part of the baseline.

I am a OEM brake pad snob. I never liked the feel and extra dust created by aftermarket pads
Yeah I hear you, I may end up swapping them at some point, but for now just to get it going. I didn't even think about getting pads from Toyota

1000009661.jpg

Which grease goes on the inner and which goes on the outer? I'm going to look it up right now but if someone happens to see this in the meantime.

Thanks!

I did at least decide to refresh this CV axle versus getting aftermarket!

I'm going to guess that the thinner brown oil goes on the inside?? I need to go inside and download the manual lol I'm the worst.

The answer is yes. The brownish colored grease is for the inner tripod style joint. It’s polyurea based grease. I know it comes with a Toyota part# on it, but you can only get it from Toyota in the boot kit.

I knew it seems like a lot of work, especially when you can get a cheap aftermarket CV axle, but I would 100% recommend buying the Toyota boot kit for $80 and then going the route I just did. Everything looked perfect on my CV axle itself, just the boot was torn.

I think it's a decent deal considering it comes with everything.
PXL_20231207_212608320.jpg

Anybody know what this goes to? If I look it looks like it runs down to the door latch. Unsure why it was unplugged... Currently swapping out my seat belt that was not retracting.
PXL_20231208_164105122.jpg

Well I was making quick progress until I got to the driver side rear, the previous owner had receipts for re
PXL_20231208_195825612.jpg
PXL_20231208_222229283.jpg
placing this axle seal in March, approximately 2,000 miles ago. Well I noticed it was leaking again. When I tore it down I found that the axle shaft has a groove in it.

Any Idea if there's a kit to sleeve these? Is that portion actually part of the wheel bearing? I'm about to do some research.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom