Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the JTO kit either. Not at all. I'm not one to bash other vendors but that "kit" just plain sucks. I refuse to install them on customer vehicles. My reputation is worth more than the little bit of money I would make installing that junk.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of the rig and the sag ps pump installed.
We should have a trip report tomorrow night.
:)

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah I'm not a fan of the JTO kit either. Not at all. I'm not one to bash other vendors but that "kit" just plain sucks. I refuse to install them on customer vehicles. My reputation is worth more than the little bit of money I would make installing that junk.
Here are a couple of pics of the rig and the sag ps pump installed.
We should have a trip report tomorrow night.

View attachment 1280944

View attachment 1280945
That is really nice.I had to rework the whole kit to make it work.The box is A1 Cardone.My friend at the local auto parts store says that they have a lot of problems with that pump.I wish I had seen these posts before I bought the kit.I made it better.

Thanks!

We're in Stockton CA.

I've used a lot of the Cardone pumps and they've been pretty good. Not perfect but overall good.

Did you ever decide on cost for the kit? Been wanting to do this conversion since I got my 60. The thread title was a real parts tease!

I'll try to come up with a solid parts list and price this coming week.
We should be able to start filling orders by thus Thursday.

will this require a steering box rebuild if not currently leaking?

Thanks!

We're in Stockton CA.

I've used a lot of the Cardone pumps and they've been pretty good. Not perfect but overall good.

I'm just going by what the Owner of the Carquest parts store in Crestline,Ca.told me.There are better he said.He has had to return quite a few.I've known him for many years.

The most common leak on these boxes are the input seal and o-ring. They usually harden over time and loose their elasticity ( especially the seal ) due to the heat in the engine compartment and their proximity to the exhaust.
Both parts are fairly easy to replace and not expensive at the dealer.
Essential to replace them when changing the pump?!
Not really but it certainly can't hurt.

will this require a steering box rebuild if not currently leaking?
I have a saginaw pump and my completely unmaintained factory power steering box has never leaked a drop. To be fair, I didn't unscrew the lines from the box end, so I might need to replace seals if and when I ever need to do *that.*

Thanks!

We're in Stockton CA.

I have a saginaw pump and my completely unmaintained factory power steering box has never leaked a drop. To be fair, I didn't unscrew the lines from the box end, so I might need to replace seals if and when I ever need to do *that.*
On my 87 gearbox,there are brass bubble farrells.You shouldn't have any problems.I believe you have the same setup.

image.jpg

Any update on if these kits are available? My pump is going quick, I'd love to get this done.
George's post above says next week.

Any update on if these kits are available? My pump is going quick, I'd love to get this done.

Also looking for an update, mine is leaking quite a bit now.

View attachment 1198743
View attachment 1198743 This has been in the works for what seems to be way too long ......

We've built a few prototypes and they've been up and running for a while. Came up with is final design after collaborating with another fellow mudder Brad and then modifying that design slightly a couple of times we've finally come up with a kit we're happy with!!!!
The factory 2F ps bracket is retained and slightly modified to work as a cradle for the sag pump.
The kit will consist of:
Modified OEM 2F ps bracket
Reman PS pump with cap
Custom high pressure hose with required fittings
Adapter brackets
Pulley
Belt
And we would need your old bracket as a core; exchange program. Another option would be for the installer to modify their existing bracket themselves.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids
What pulley are you using?I did the conversion with the JT outfitters and am not happy.I saw your thread after I was done.I told you about what I had to do.The pulley in the kit is the skinny one and the belt screams like a banshee.Not happy.Belt dressing helps for a little bit but not long.I need a wider pulley

I need to pull my air pump and replace with a JimC pulley. Would really like to convert the PS while I'm in there. Any update on the kit? Price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom