Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need this badly. Please keep us updated.

Georg is probably pretty busy prepping for the move to his new shop (look in the Trails/Events section to read more).
I am definitely one of those people that will be signed up for this on the fairly short list.

To answer a few questions .........

Why Sag?
There are many reasons why this kit, just like many others ( like the one we offer for the FJ40/45s ), utilizes a Sag pump vs the OEM Toyota units.
1) cost
2) availability
3) pressure output
4) ease of installation
A rebuilt sag pump can generally be purchased for $40-$100 or less. They're very trouble free and cheap for the rebuilders to work on because they were used for so many years by a variety of car manufacturers and most of the parts for these pumps interchange. So parts availability is excellent and parts cost due to the sheer demand and quantity is inexpensive. These pumps can be purchased at any auto parts store. Pressure output is about 50% higher than the Toyota pumps at about 1200 psi.
The Toyota pumps will cost you about $100 or more for a reman and a lot of them have leakage issues right from the start. The problem is that replacement parts are expensive due to the much lower volume of these pumps and the fact that some of the parts don't interchange between different pump models. The biggest issue is the pump shaft itself. The front seals harden over time which eventually wears a groove into the shaft. Most rebuilders try to keep their cost down so they don't replace the worn shafts. They're basically hoping that it'll outlast the warranty period so they run the shafts with a groove worn in them, assuming the new seal will do its job. The only way to not have to worry about a possible leak issue is to buy a new pump from Toyota but they're over $400. I've bought quite a few of these and they work great. But obviously they're not cheap. Availability for these is scares and usually they have to be ordered which can take anywhere from a day to a week. Just the cap for these units alone costs $28 at the dealer.

We've been toying with the idea of offering a kit for the 62s as well and eventually we will produce one. But we have a few other products in the development stage right now that need to be finished first.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids
Now we need a bracket kit for the NPR 5.7 liter alternator to be installed on a toyota 3b. My alternator rebuild cost me $375.00. A used one was $650.00. A npr with vacuum pump goes for 100.00 on ebay. I had no choice so had to pay way more then what other brands would cost.

This is what just a few miles of driving and a few parallel park jobs looks like. Not sure if I can wait much longer!

IMG_7331_zpsx4mnwnza.jpg

The clouds are parting. Rays of light shine down from on high. The trumpets sound. All the animals of the savannah gather together. 1,000 bald eagles soar across the sky. The mighty Saginaw has come to take his rightful seat in the engine bay of life. All honor to Georg, blessed be his hands.

In for one when available.

So ... before I take apart my daily-driver 1983 FJ60 ...

It looks like the OEM pump has a shaft ~1" diameter. Are there any varieties of Saginaw pumps with the same shaft size?

I'm in on this need too... my gear box is leaking like a sieve as well as my cooler. PM sent @orangefj45 Edited: Rebuilt my gear box and thankfully at this time my pump is good enough.

Last edited:
I've learned that early (pre 74) sags have a keyed 5/8" shaft and from 74 on had a 3/4" press-fit shaft.

I have my local machinist queued up to make me a steel bushing to give my Toyota pulley a 3/4" bore.

Are these available yet?

Our final prototype is on its way to Rubithon right now in a good friends 60. I wanted to get some miles on the setup and make sure it does well Offroad also. The 60 is sprung over on 35s.
If it holds up to this ....... then we'll sell the kit.
:)
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Our final prototype is on its way to Rubithon right now in a good friends 60. I wanted to get some miles on the setup and make sure it does well Offroad also. The 60 is sprung over on 35s.
If it holds up to this ....... then we'll sell the kit.
:)
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I'm sprung over and on 35's, can't wait to drop some cash on this.

Me too !

John

I was looking for a kit for a while.I wish I would have found this thread.I ended up getting the JT Outfitters kit.I had to rework the bracket to work with my vacuum rail and had to manufacture a taller bubble farrel for the high pressure line to work with my gearbox.I made it work better.Emailed them twice.No response.Not going to deal with them again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom