Expedition trailer made from FJ40 tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a photoshop idea I played with...

Another photoshop idea, why doesn't anyone keep the windows when they make tub trailers? Seems like it would make a pretty nice camper.

Troopie%20Trailer.jpg

There was a guy in Las vegas who bought a 69' tub from me who planned on building a camper like that. I have thought about it while planning my build. The reasons I passed on the idea are that I wanted something more compact. I plan to use mine in some extreme off road situations so I dont want a high center of gravity, or something that might come in contact with the tow rig if I go up something at an abrupt angle. I wanted a factory toyota look without it being obvious that I stuck two cruisers together. I also like the pop top idea. I grew up with tent trailers. Cool Idea though! Id love to see someone build one.

Great thread guys, really liking all the ideas :cool:

A couple of notes regarding comments I've seen.

Longer trailer than my setup. It could be longer, but honestly I've never really needed more room. My design (length) was critical to two major factors. I wanted my rear axle to trailer axle distance to be at or near my vehicles wheelbase. A trailer is an absolute boat anchor behind you, pulling un powered axles up even a 12" ledge offroad can be quite the task. With the matching wheelbase's I can almost time my driving and more so the matching length lends itself nicely to handling characteristics of the trailer. The other critical dimension was the tongue length, I wanted to be able "jack-knife" my trailer, even being able to push the trailer sideways without damage. This has proven to be a handy component. Backing up a short single axle trailer on a semi difficult trail is an absolute pita, being able to just shove it around or jack-knife multiple times as part of a 20 pt turn really works out.

That said if your criteria is to be able to sleep in back, absolutely run with it, each user will have their own needs. I disliked the thought of unloading my trailer each night and then re-loading so I could sleep in back, a RTT or ground tent to me was an easier solution, but for some it would make absolute sense. As would using 40 hardtop sides with glass, not in my design criteria but I can see it being a neat solution to the camping needs of others.

Regarding dust intrusion. In all fairness the hardtop lip would not have helped with this in fact it would almost hurt it as built. What I need to do is spend some time sourcing some better weatherstripping. The biggest issue is my top, it is slightly tweaked from the fiberglass work and doesn't sit 100% true on the tub, easily resolved with some good w/s and a slight rework of my hinge I think. In the end it hasn't been that big of an issue. All of my gear is stowed inside of organizable boxes within the trailer. Another major factor is my open filler neck hole, I still need to finish up my water tank and filler neck, which will close off a major source of dust intrusion into my trailer.

I'm really excited to see your design & build progress :cool:

Kurt, its good to get some input from someone with field experience. I have pulled SWB trailers before and I get the jacknife concept. I will be copying you on tongue design. - One long tube, rather than "A" frame style. I never though about pushing the trailer while jacknifed. Sounds interesting. I wont be able to do that until I get a HD bumper.

I am excited about the build too. Im looking for work right now so progress is slowed.

I went to the local thrift store today and scored 4 sets of full extension 24" accuride drawer sliders for $8.00!!! I couldnt believe it. So now my brain is wizzing to figure out if there is a prudent way to incorporate them into the design.

My first idea was to use the 2 FJ40 tool box lids that I have as drawer fronts for gear drawers out each side. They would be the perfect size to go right in front of the wheel wells.

Down side to that is that I want to have bunks out each side and so they wouldnt be accessible with the top up. The bunk Idea also conflicts with a side pull out kitchen which is what I have been planning for the last couple weeks. It would be the most efficient use of cargo space.

So looks like I am back to a front pull out kitchen that rests on the tongue. If I go with a 24" wide cabinet, I could use the sliders in the kitchen drawers. 24" is standard counter top depth, but seams deep for a camp kitchen.

The kitchen on the tongue:

1. Sounds like a great way to use the space taken up by the tongue anyway when you are set-up campsite-style.

2. Will it be a problem if you are not camping but simply stopping to cook a meal and not intending to disconnect the trailer?

VI,

Hope the job search has been successful.

Any updates on your build?

Good luck!

VI,

Hope the job search has been successful.

Any updates on your build?

Good luck!

I have not found full time employment yet. I put the word out hand have found several temporary gigs. Lanscaping and handyman stuff. I have my real estate licence and have a couple deals in the pipe line. I have actually been realy buzy with forclosure clean ups. - little $200 jobs. Not sure if i am actually making money or not so project has been on hold until i know im ok and can spend some money on sheet metal. I want to keep going on it and will just as soon as I know im safe. Thanks for the concern.

This project has been side lined For the last 10 months. I Ended up starting my own business and am finally getting comfortable enough that I can start into it again. That and the fact that my dad is currently building a tear drop has motivated me to pick up the project again. I have continued to plan and dream about how to bring it all together, so the other day I went down to the the local steel shop and picked up some 16 gauge sheet metal. I got a full 8' X 4' sheet quartered with a 1/2" bend on the long edge. This will be used to increase the depth of the front of the trailer. The grey tub will be kept, but the red will be scrapped other than the top just below where the hard top will mount. When i am finished replacing the sides and interior I will have a front cargo area 24" deep. This is where I plan to locate batteries, water tank, propane, water heater, etc. The grey tub area will remain as factory.

Last edited:
Realy nice job gentlemen, your tub conversions are destined to be classic. Hoping to follow any more builds with photos suitable for publication. Hope to see you in Moab soon as the snow melts.

Outstanding news on the new business and the trailer.

Looking forward to updates.

Another photoshop idea, why doesn't anyone keep the windows when they make tub trailers? Seems like it would make a pretty nice camper.

Troopie%20Trailer.jpg
I like the way it looks but it would be a very heavy trailer for off road use. Plus the COG would be kind of high.

I went out to work on the trailer Saturday. My plan was to get buzy cutting and welding the front end of the trailer to make it deeper and to enclose the tailgate area on the front. I soon realized that i would have to weld in a support across the tailgate area to keep things square. I needed 1.5" X 1.5" square tube and unfortunately the steel shops are closed on saturday.

Fast forward to this week. I got the steel I needed today but it has been raining all week and the trailer project is outside. No Bueno. My garage has my 40 in it right now. Just dropped in the SBC 350 tonight. Got it bolted to the tranny but I have to fabricate motor mounts tomorrow so i can get it off the hoist. Then my new FZJ80 goes in to pull the motor for rebuild. (it has a rod knock) but picked it up for $3K W/ Diff locks! I'v hired a mechanic to do the rebuild so it should move fairly quickly.

SO! when it stops raining, I will get back on it. As soon as the 80 is done I will move the trailer project into the garage and really get going - rain or shine.

Today I finally got to work on the trailer project a little. - Well, I worked on something that will go ON the trailer. My plan is to have 2 spare tire carriers on the back. In keeping with the factory look of the trailer in general, I decided to convert a drivers side tube carrier to passenger side carrier. I am happy with the result. Here are a few pictures showing how I did it.
CIMG0019.jpg
CIMG0020.jpg

Here you can see how it would sit if the rear support wasnt turned. The vertical tubes are suposed to lan towards the center of the vehicle as you can see by the red one. It was a lot more work taking that part off because of the rivets. I had to grind one side off, then get it red hot and hammer it through.
CIMG0021.jpg
CIMG0022.jpg
CIMG0023.jpg

I then turned the rear support to the opposite angle and welded it back on. I had to add some tube to one of the verticle supports so it would attach to the bottom. I got it all tacked together when i ran out of weld wire. Once I finish cleaning it up I think it will look like a factory RHD carrier.
CIMG0025.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom