Expedition trailer made from FJ40 tub (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I am planning to build an expedition trailer made from 1 or more FJ40 tub(s). I have seen a couple of these. I know Kurt williams has one. (pictured) Just curious if anyone else has or knows of one and could post some pics so I could get some ideas. Thanks.
fall07-kurt-008.jpg
fj40 trailer.jpg

you should PM this dude, he built one too. check out his avatar. IH8MUD™ Forums

Still looking for pics. I procured my second tub. Getting closer to being able to start construction

I hope you have hardtops too. Maybe ambulance doors in the back and an upper lift hatch on the tongue end?? How long do you plan to build the body?

So far I have 2 tubs and 1 top w/ sides. Kurts trailer eliminated the sides. He cut off the lip on the top of the tub but then had trouble with dust infiltration. I will eliminate the windows while retaining the factory connection with the tub and roof. Basically I will cut the windows out of each side panel and then weld the remaining top and bottom pieces back together. Should help with the dust.

So My plan is to make it about 6'-6" long. This is where is gets crazy. I am a big fan of pop up tent trailers, so I would like to find a donor pop up and use the lifting mechanism, furnace, water heater etc. to make a miniature off road version rather than an RTT. The bed would be the same dimensions as a queen bed and then I would do a single cantilevered off each side for a total sleeping capacity of 4. The rear will have the 1/2 ambulance doors. The front I may just close off or have a solid tailgate for acces to storage and water tank etc. Half the bed will be a pull out kitchen, the other half will be storage. I work in a cab shop so I am pumped to build the kitchen. What do you think?

With the recent procurement of the second tub, I may just be starting a build thread before too long. Also considering staring to build expedition storage drawers.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see your progress.

Please take lots of pics.

I wouldn't mess with lifting mechanism from a donor camper, most don't work very well.

I am also considering This kind of lift system.
Pop tops

Here are a couple pictures of my donor vehicles. The grey one is a 78' The red one is a 65'
Picture 017.jpg
8181280.jpg

I really like these picture of Kurts. seeing his contributed to my initial inspiration. Hope he doesn't mind me posting them.
Slyline_Swell%20(34).jpg
fall07-kurt-012.jpg
HITR%20182%20%28Small%29.jpg

Do you have a photoshop pic or sketch of your plan?

Hand drawn, but this is the basic Idea.
Untitled.jpg

Wow! Looks great.

Any estimates on weight?

Here is a 2D drawing that I did on the computer. It also shows My plan for a four door 40. I will use spare door parts from the donor tubs that I have.
FJ40 trailer.jpg
FJ40 trailer1.jpg

4 door 40 looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom