Expedition trailer made from FJ40 tub (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any trailer updates?

glad to see your working again and running your own business to boot i will be watching your build,, i like the slide out ideas , very cool.. very cool for sure..

please dont build this thing below.. at first glance i thought it was a gondola from a ski lift or somthing and then it hit me.. i see one of these everyday

Another photoshop idea, why doesn't anyone keep the windows when they make tub trailers? Seems like it would make a pretty nice camper.

Troopie%20Trailer.jpg

i drive past this just about everyday i live 5 mins from here.
home-r2-c1.jpg

ride-r2-c1.jpg

I then turned the rear support to the opposite angle and welded it back on. I had to add some tube to one of the verticle supports so it would attach to the bottom. I got it all tacked together when i ran ut of weld wire. Once I finish cleaning it up I think it will look like a factory RHD carrier.

Very cool. I did a similar 'flip' when I built my cooler rack, I've never thought of doing it for dual spares :cool:

Very cool. I did a similar 'flip' when I built my cooler rack, I've never thought of doing it for dual spares :cool:

I plan on either sourcing a RH carrier or doing this mod to build a cooler/jerry can rack on the RH side... keeping a stock-ish look (until I can buy or build a heavy duty carrier/bumper.)

Dual spares would require that you pay some attention to the tire diameter to be sure they would both fit when the racks are closed...

Mark

Here is a pic. of a cooler rack I built to be used with the OEM tire rack. Its probably pushing the maximum capacity for the tire rack, but it works well.
005.JPG

Moved the project into the garage

Well My FZJ80 is out of the garage so I moved the trailer project in. I got a little done on the front of the trailer. I welded in a support bar across the tailgate opening. I then took out the rusted rear sill. Next I welded in some 16 guage sheet to cover the opening. This gives a good idea of the depth in the front. After that I cut out the drivers side fender. I ran into a lot of bondo and rust tonight. Luckily most of it is being replaced with new metal. I am still not quite sure how I am going to do the radius corrners.
CIMG0038.jpg
CIMG0040.jpg
CIMG0044.jpg

One more. My plan is to get all the exterior metal in place, then intstall the floor in the front portion. Only then will I remove the existing floor and inner wheel wells so as to retain structural integrity.
CIMG0045.jpg

Last edited:
I put in a few hours after dinner and got one of the corners on. It was a LOT of work! Precision cuts and a lot of test fitting. Its not perfect and I know body filler will be my new best friend, but overall, for my first time fabricating a projet like this I did a pretty good job. I have no idea how body guys do this work. just making it up as I go. Its nice to finally see some real prrogress. I am excited to finish up the other side.
CIMG0046.jpg
CIMG0047.jpg
CIMG0048.jpg

Nicely done.

I worked late again on the trailer and got the passenger side front quarter panel on. It was dificult to get everything squared with the radius, but this one went on easier than the first. The radius is pretty close to a 12" dameter. so I used a Gott watter jug to start the bends. It was the closest thing i could find that was a straight cylinder with the same diameter. once i got it started I had to work it by hand until it was prety close to 90 deg. Then after everything was test fitted and clamped I started near the wheel well and worked forward with the tac welds.

Here are a few pictures of tonights progress.
CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0050.jpg

CIMG0051.jpg

This last one is my favorite. I have an electric hoist in my garage so I picked up the trailer and turned it so for a profile shot. Its upside down but you can rsee how the proportions ended up.
CIMG0052.jpg

very nice. that will have plenty of space. are you going to modify the front portion's floor to eliminate the wheel wells? that will get the COG nice and low and create even more room.:popcorn:

very nice. that will have plenty of space. are you going to modify the front portion's floor to eliminate the wheel wells? that will get the COG nice and low and create even more room.:popcorn:
Yes, the wheel wells and floor in the front will be removed as soon as i put in the new floor. It will go in aproximately 3" above the bottom edge. That will give me enough room below the floor to hide the frame. >>> Imagine the front floor level in an FJ40 - thats where it will be.

With the added depth, my plan is to have a side exiting pull out kitchen on 48" full extension sliders. I was originally planning to have the kitchen pull out the front and rest on the tongue but there is no way that would work. There is just not enough depth - Unless I wanted a very short kitchen.

So side exiting seams to be the direction i'll go. Still want to do some kind of pop top rather than RTT. Salvaging a lift mechanism from a pop up is not practical. So I am leaning towards a scissor mechanism. Id still like to do a bunk on the opposite side the kitchen slides out.

Last edited:
I flipped the trailer around tonight and started working on rust repair on the opposite end. This is the rear end of the trailer and will be set up with and OEM tail gate. I cut out the remnants of the rear sill (forgot to take a before pic, but it was pretty much all gone.) I realized that in order to weld in a new sill, I had to have clean steel to weld to. There wasn't any to speak of, so I had to take it back to where there was some good steel. The corner had previously been repaired, but shottily done. So I had to cut all that out. This time I had to fabricate a patch. You can see it, pre install in the first pic.

This is a fun project, but it really takes a long time to get these corners to work out right. First time doing anything like this.
CIMG0054.jpg
CIMG0055.jpg
CIMG0056.jpg

Wow, LOTS of hard work there bud, I am totally digging it!

Keep it up! Go SLOW with that sheet metal welding, it will pay off when it comes time to smooth it all out.

Drew

Wow, LOTS of hard work there bud, I am totally digging it!

Keep it up! Go SLOW with that sheet metal welding, it will pay off when it comes time to smooth it all out.

Drew
Hey thanks Drew. If it turns out half as nice as yours I will be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom