Espresso (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol, the first ever scrotum latte art. I shall title it "Deez".

(Properly oriented...)

image.jpg

It doesn't get in the way of pro baristas in route to nice crisp well defined latte art... but I've found the type and brand of milk can make or break mine. And keeping the milk temp around 155*F makes a huge difference too getting consistently fine textured micro-foam. I can get decent microfoam at the more traditional 165*F point but its more inconsistent at the small volume of milk I typically steam up for a capp (<100ml)...thus the fat globules get stretched to or beyond their max and you move beyond true micro-foam...

The other important related data point: Often the steam tips are really designed to heat more milk volume than what I typically steam up for a capp. Either swap out the steam tip to a one or two hole version (if available) or waste more milk ;)

]

Also since my mypressi has blitzed out yet again...I've designed a retrofit prototype part that will replace the existing NO regulator assembly. This will allow me to propel it from any compressed air source (my OBA!) using a much more reliable external regulator. I have a friend doing the machine work, since I don't have a lathe, and hopefully in a few weeks we'll know whether its a project all-for-not or success.

FWIW: The Portapresso puts out incredibly tasty espresso. But dancing with it for more than 1 or 2 espressos requires more patience and dance routine than I typically can muster on trail mornings :D The mypressi is much faster and outputs nearly as tasty 'spro but much, much quicker, so I'm hoping I'll have a viable press for our group espresso demands once more...without the unreliability and/or time overhead.

Bastid...

mmm, mmm, mmm...looks so delicioso! I'd say you have this espresso making thing figured out Cam!

I'm lacking a little bit in the equipment category.

I started with the Mr. Coffee $30. Hario $20 Grinder. Then a DeLonghi for $100. Upped to a OE Pharos grinder $240, Next, was this Cuisinart for $220. All have been remarkable improvements over the last. I think I want to chase a small lever machine next. I really need something that is portable, work has me move around all the time. I entertained the idea of a Mypressi, but while the pulls may be good, they just don't seem long term reliable (The product, or the company). The ROK looks bulky, but probably not hard to pack in a suitcase. Looking for suggestions here.

A buddy supports my habits with roasting his own beans, so that's a soon to come step.

mypressi is a dead/defunct entity...fini.

I had the prior version of the ROK, The Presso from the original mfg, and pulled hundreds upon hundreds of shots while in Land Cruiser mode. Like most espresso gear it has its plusses and minuses: You have to work very, very hard to get "espresso". It can be done but the stars need to be fully aligned ;). OTOH its dead simple: No electricity, NO canisters, etc. are needed. Supposedly the ROK iteration is built more solidly to eliminate the handle breakage problem that plagued some of the first gen units (I never experienced a mechanical reliability issue with mine though).

I've owned and used just about every portable espresso machine/maker on the market and all of them stopped short in the real espresso department except the Portaspresso (and the mypressi when it worked...was not reliable...).

Up the ladder in terms of cost and capability would be one of the Portaspresso products: The Rossa HC and PG espresso presses (a couple different variants within each platform). I have the Rossa PG Brass Air Espresso unit (can be used with/without the pressure gauge).

Coupled with my Pharos it is capable of putting out absolutely incredible espresso, whether comparing to any portable or even commercial electrically fed machines,...simply in a league of its own.

Yes its expensive but they are a high precision hand machined product...made in AU not china; you get what you pay for. You do need a way of supplying compressed air...a high pressure bicycle tire pump works great or any other source capable of ~150-200psi.

http://www.portaspresso.com/page010.html

If press style coffee is your thing then maybe the Aeropress or the Espro would be potential candidates (and equally capable at home or in portable mode). Either is relatively inexpensive, mechanically simple, very portable and output super tasty press style coffee. And they are relatively quick and easy to clean. But espresso they're not.

HTHs

Presso, LC tailgate, Sieg & Sydney.jpg

Portaspresso, elk hunt.jpg

Portaspresso, pulled shot.jpg

Last edited:
That a good write up, thank you. Now, I really want a portaspresso.

I have an Aeropress, and I love it, but it most certainly is not Espresso.

^ also with the Portaspresso you can easily do pressure profiling and varable pressure pre-infusion. I recently heard Ross, the man and machinist behind Rossa/Portaspresso products, has a big back log of orders resulting in a month or longer wait...YMMV and just a FWIW.

Blue Jaguar touche :D

from camp sackapotato via portaspresso

image.jpg

Last edited:
N
Not a bad for "camp" espresso! Is the L1 unpacked yet?

Nope...in storage for the foreseeable future. As long as my old trusty Silca floor pump keeps compressing air, a relic from my long ago cycling days, the Portaspresso will be my go-to macheene to appease my addiction :)

If not for the stupid proud pricing of late on Creminas I'd like one of my own to fill the gap...a cleaner workflow for cappas;)

Last edited:
Not quite as pretty a pull as the Blue Jaguar, but tasty nonetheless...

image.jpg

This is another of Redbird's Brazilian offerings, though roasted to a "rich" medium vs. just medium like the Blue Jag or Sweet Blue. It was a buttery nutty dark chocolate bomb. Super smooth.

image.jpg

Need some help.

Cameron has got me hooked on these drinks.

I am looking for a decent machine in the $300 to $400 range, but I am a complete newb and have no idea what I am really looking for.

What little I know is that for entry level, you need to triple your budget.

I got in for about $750. My grinder is my weak link right now. Mine is almost adequate. Another $200 would put me in a more adjustable (but not necessarily a better grinding) electric, or $150 more for a (discontinued at the moment) hand grinder.

However, this was for a 30 year old machine.

The more you spend, the less frustration you'll have, that's for sure. Consistency in equipment performance and technique is THE key.

Contrary to what most espresso newbies would think: Spend more on the grinder. $400-$500 is a little more realistic...if you are ok with hand grinding. You could get a Lido3 and maybe a used Gaggia Classic for ~ $400 and with some experience you could make better tasting espresso than many cafes. But to paraphrase Cameron: You will have your work cut out for you in this and even 2x this budget amount.

Also if you know what to look for and have plenty of time you might find a silly deal in a thrift shop, garage/estate sale on an Olympia Maximatic (like Cam's) or Cremina (or one of several Italian lever machines)...although rare they are out there if you're willing to put forth the effort & time.

Plenty super helpful infomation on http://www.home-barista.com/forums/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom