Espresso (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think when we come out west in late july im going to make a side trip to get some more. It's one one the best blends I've had.If these are the roasts coming out of the west , I'm going to try Redbird next! When it arrived I put one of the pounds in the freezer, any thoughts on the best way to defrost or just set it out on the counter.

I go from freezer to grinder without issue. There's been discussion about same on HB and for the most part it doesn't matter: I certainly can't tell.

Scott and his son know a thing or two about roasting and blending...and for the non-over the top citrus in beans lover like me they hit the bullseye with Sunrise; we've probably bought and consumed 100lbs so far from him. We accidentally discovered him a few years ago while in Tucson vacationing...happened upon him at a Farmer's Market there. Oddly he didn't have an espresso machine and was serving up samples of drip Sunrise...and that's all it took.

Redbird is also, based upon the several samplings I've bought, a bean/roast with lower to middle notes. Their Blue Jaguar is "thicker" in taste profile than Sunrise; I find it to be very much like they describe. You will, again based upon the 4-different varieties I've tried from Redbird, discover a common "theme" running through their offering's flavor profiles; all good!

If I order again b4 my trip im going with an espresso roast. My machine has been lonley since I bought the Sunrise.

Product update: I've been using the Orphan Espresso Pharos everyday for house espresso & cappuccinos for the past year...love it. It also served up to 10-double espressos/capps per day apart of two group explores this year...without a hiccup.

But OE has updated the design on the little brother to the Pharos, the Lido2 and it looks very promising for mobile/camp bean grinding if you're looking for a very well crafted burr grinder capable of minute burr adjustment as well as being able to satisfy the grind range from french press, pour over all the way to espresso and even turkish. And a lower price point than the Pharos too.

I'm not affiliated in any way with OE...just an incredibly happy owner of several of their products...this is just an FYI for those that might be interested.

Read about the Lido2 here: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual-Coffee-Grinders_c_1.html

Cheers,

Dan

camp capp at my 'best-western'
image.jpg

spent espresso pucks.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Gen 1 Lido and it is a terrific grinder. The Gen 2 looks even better. It is all I use for grinding.

You should really try roasting. Start with a whirly pop (I have been roasting on it for 18 months) and it is not much of a time or equipment commitment.

Needs
Camp stove (smoke)
Whirly pop
two metal strainers
cooling trays

I order 16 pounds of green coffee for about $80-$90 at a time and it will last about 3-4 months.

I thought about the Lido 2 but given the grinding effort reports that have been posted, for espresso, I think I'll just stay planted in the Pharos world ;)...

Yes...I've thought about diving into the world of roasting...but already have a few other neglected hobbies ;). Fortunately there is a plethora of top-shelf roasters that roast to order.

Nice color, that runs off co2 cartridge ,right?

Nitrogen cartridges...but, even though I haven't tried CO2 myself, purportedly one can use CO2.

The mypressi isn't the most robust espresso press...I've had my trials and tribulations with it including having a pressure plate blow up on this trip in the wilds of Utah. In their defense mypressi was able to ship me a new pressure plate assembly via USPS Priority so I could at least have portable espresso for the remainder of my trip.

But, there just isn't anything that rivals the quality of espresso it can deliver especially but not limited to the portable espresso world (Ok...the Roka might be just the tool...but at over 5 bills to get one stateside I'll have to do a bit more hand wringing over that one ;)). You can easily get separation of flavors and an incredibly balanced shot...very consistently too!

I keep threatening to leave it at home and put my Caravel 1.2 into the camp espresso slot...but stop short when its time to pack the Land Cruiser and think of the typical "dings" it would surely get...:(

Last edited:
Spresso-We stayed this weekend in Mammoth with one of my partners. He is as much into this as you are even to the point of roasting his own beans twice per week so they are fresher (after the 48 hour mellowing period of course). He liked your set up in the picture above, and was looking at the pharos when we left. The only thing he didn't have was the scale.

This just showed up while I was home for lunch...

image.jpg

I made a quick cup of the Sweet Blue...

image.jpg

image.jpg

MIND. BLOWN.

This is absolutely delicious! Thanks for the Redbirds tip, spressomon!

(I know this is a "coffee" post, but I got the Redbird tip in here)

:beer:

Jeff (owner/roaster at Redbird) does a very good job in my book (ditto for Scott at Adventure Coffee Roasting in Tucson)...glad to know your coffee palate and mine are on the same plain! Isn't it fantastic to have so many high quality roaster choices today?!

I'm getting ready to order some more of the Blue Jaguar...still working through the Eithiopian Yirgacheffe Wote Konga and Sumatra Permata Gayo I got from him and mixed, per his recommendation, at 50/50. If my 100 hadn't given me fits you would have had these 3 on the Utah trip :/.

...If my 100 hadn't given me fits you would have had these 3 on the Utah trip :/.

I was really looking forward to that - that's what sold me on the trip! We might as well have been drinking Folgers Instant!

I would if it was good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom