Espresso (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Yeah I know we have a "Coffee" thread but figured there might be a few espresso hounds here besides myself. I think espresso enthusiasts here is a similar size group to 100-Series trail rollers :D

Anyway...I started enjoying espresso at a friend's Italian restaurant in Omaha around 1987 and its been a problem ever since :lol:.

For mobile/camp espresso I've run the gamut from aluminum moka pots, to nicer stainless moka pots, Presso, Handpresso and various incarnation/retrofits of the mypressi TWIST Vx ;)

Stephen O'Brien, CEO of mypressi, had some product growing pains but to his credit he persevered, kept refining the product upping the quality/reliability and stood behind his product with solid warranty...the kind of treatment you'd expect as a consumer but rarely seems to manifest itself in most categories today. Yes...even 4x4/LC stuff :rolleyes:

After futzing around with different grinders I discovered a very nice couple team, Doug and Barb Garrott (Orphan Espresso) in Boise, designed, engineered and successfully launched a quite revolutionary grinder within the past 2-years: The Pharos burr grinder.

Although to non-espresso freaks the grinder seems spendy but in espresso world context its a true bargain for what it offers in grind quality and consistency at $245. You'd have to almost 4X that to get what it offers in the cup for the HG One and well over 1 large for anything electric with similar results. The Pharos was added to my mobile set-up last year and did not disappoint. Heck...it now serves full time counter duty at home!

And then there's the beans. I enjoy a wide variety of beans and roasting styles but lately Redbird Coffee Roasters, Bozeman Montana has been wowing me. Their Blue Jaguar blend is get'n it done for me! Roasted almond, pasty jam...not citrusy...great for espresso and strong capps. Scott's Adventure Roasting, Tucson Arizona, Sunrise Breakfast Blend is another stalwart for us. SBB is a chocolate bomb with balanced citrus high notes too...never a disappointment.

I recently added a lever machine to our home counter and its quite amazing how different the same beans I've been using taste. Fun stuff.

On the trail, even with groups of 7-8 guys, we start each day with morning cappuccinos. And mid-day trail wake-ups with espresso most afternoons. Its become, at least for me, a must have...and I think at least a few of my trail partners who might have been reluctant in the beginning look forward to fresh espresso on the trail these days.

Anyway...just a more refined coffee thread :)

Subscribed.

As an appreciative consumer of Spresso's espressos, he can just write all the posts in this thread and I'll agree with it.

The burr grinder mentioned above, is a combination of art and machine shop. It's worth having even if you just look at it every day.

When I get to the point I can cut down my schedule and actually have time to do stuff, I'm going to learn to make my own espressos. Until then, I'm going to rely on Dan, and occasionally Peets.

" Roasted almond, pasty jam...not citrusy...great for espresso and strong capps. Scott's Adventure Roasting, Tucson Arizona, Sunrise Breakfast Blend is another stalwart for us. SBB is a chocolate bomb with balanced citrus high notes too...never a disappointment."

LOL.

D, I need to try the blue jag.. I inspected on a power house job in Anaconda, MT and got to experience the RedBird coffees in a shop called Crazy Joe's IIRC in downtown Bozeman. I remember the Sweet Blue Brazil ( may have destroyed the name) and it was a cup of chocolate heaven. I had a couple bags for awhile on hand until we went to PA for work.

J

Right on! I have some Brazil Sweet Blue on hand...pulled some this morning in fact!

Jeff (Redbird owner) has a super deal if you like his beans. He'll send you 5# of the same bean with free shipping; you can add individual bags of any type to this order to also qualify for the gratis shipping.

Most of the 5# bags are in the $50-$58 range which is dirt cheap for micro-roasted fair trade/organic coffee. I vac seal them in quart Mason jars and throw in the freezer and pull out what I need for the week.

With most small batch quality beans going for $12-$25 per 12oz...that makes repeat orders to Redbird a no brainer for me.

What a great time to be a coffee lover! There are so many quality micro-and mid-scale roasters in our country...no other time like it!

^ Yes :D

Whether storing by freezing coffee beans is a viable means of extending their shelf life has been debated for a long time. Until fairly recently the general consensus was extending the shelf life of freshly roasted coffee beans was something even freezing, at least with the typical home type freezer, wouldn't accomplish. But a comprehensive blind tasting test had not been published.

Here's the first and most comprehensive blind tasting documentation of freezing coffee beans I recently discovered: http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer-conclusions.html

There is still an on-going debate on the best method for storing freshly roasted beans in the freezer...

I, with beans within 2-3 days of their roasting date (I don't roast...yet ;)), vac seal them in quart mason jars and put them in my -5F to -10F freezer for use within 2-months taking out 1/2lb at a time.

Generally I use a pound a week so 5lbs works out perfectly. And lately a couple of us have been splitting a 5lb order so its even better.

But the realty: Fresher is better. And like a hunting/fishing buddy of mine says: "Nothing gets better in the freezer"...but for relatively short periods storing freshly roasted whole beans seems to have a negligible effect on the overall quality of the bean in the cup.

We are about the same 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. I store my Kona up to 6 weeks in the the freezer in its vacuum sealed shipping bag. Seems to lose a little flavor at the upper end of that time frame..

So, either we need to drink more or not order as much. But, the smaller bags are more expensive and is usually a week on delivery from Hawaii. I'll survive.. ha!

I've been following your espresso words of wisdom, and would like to toss a few more names into the roasting ring for you. I enjoy Zoka's espresso paladino out of Seattle and closer to home Counter Cultures espresso Tuscano out of Durham,NC. For drip coffee, Zoka's Ethiopia yirgacheffe is a must have too. Never thought I'd enjoy cloves in my coffee but it is amazing when done right and by that I mean drip brewed.

^ once I get centered on my new counter machene and the beans I'm familiar with I'll give your recommends a try! :cheers:

The burr grinder mentioned above, is a combination of art and machine shop. It's worth having even if you just look at it every day.
I laughed out loud when I read that, classic CDrew line right there. :cheers:

I'll have to share our experiences when we attended the SCAA show in Anaheim a few years ago around the campfire.

Lots of talk here about sources and storage methods for quality beans. The only real solution to those two problems for me was to start roasting myself. Freshness is easily solved (green beans store for much longer). Finding sources for good beans is easier since there are fewer variables, especially if you're buying single origin coffees and creating your own espresso blends.

Plus, if you're already tinkering with your Land Cruiser, you are sure to enjoy the ability to mod your roaster, obsess over every detail, and dive into another rabbit hole.

I've seriously thought about bringing coffee roasting to home but in the end I'm filled up on hobbies and if one comes in one would have to be benched. But there isn't one I want to sideline right now.

Fortunately we've never been in a better environment especially in the USA for obtaining high quality small batch roasted beans. That certainly has taken most of the pressure off :)

subscribing...

:cool:

Just arrived today

ForumRunner_20130502_190859.jpg

ForumRunner_20130502_190859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom