DRL Question on LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm glad to see all this interest in improving the fuel economy of our vehicles. ;)

Add this mod to my list of things to do.

pequiod said:
lay down on and put your head on the brake pedal and look up underneath the steering wheel column, just to its right. in the mess of wires and to the right of the brake pedal metal assembly (looking up at it) is a black box mounted with a connector on its base. you'll be staring at it. reach up and disconnect the squeeze connector and locate a solid red wire with blue stripe. disable or remove this wire and your DRLs are off. On my pictures it is the only disconnected wire on the connector. if u keep your light switch on Auto, lights will still come on automatically when the detector on your dash senses darkness, etc. hope this helps.

I want to put a on/off switch on this DRL wire. Not being particularly electrical wise...what would you recommend for a switch for this (amperage rating?)? And will I need anything else (fuse, relay, etc.) in line?

I think a small micro switch tapped into the same wire you would normally cut will allow you to turn this on or off. I don’t think there is any amperage to be concerned with, the unit that it’s hooked to is a relay, and the wire in question is just a control wire.

How about a switch that will turn on the DRL with or without the other headlights on? Obviously this is the lead that is asserted when the headlights are OFF, right?

I'd like to turn them on/off regardless. Thoughts?

3fj40 said:
How about a switch that will turn on the DRL with or without the other headlights on? Obviously this is the lead that is asserted when the headlights are OFF, right?

I'd like to turn them on/off regardless. Thoughts?

That is how I am setting mine up...I just haven't ordered the switch yet...for now the DRL's are just 'off'.

I just found the DRl wire per the same pictorial that Pequiod listed above...and then will (been too busy with more important mods) put a dash switch (on/off) in between so that I control the DRL manually...

FYI: I just cut the wire in two and taped the ends until such time as I can put the switch in the dash...but for now I don't have DRLs.

is DRL also the low beam on a LX470? I want to put HID's in my LX but only if they don't stay on all the time bec that will be way too much attention :D

mrkool said:
is DRL also the low beam on a LX470? I want to put HID's in my LX but only if they don't stay on all the time bec that will be way too much attention :D

Don't know for sure about the LX...but on the LC the High beam is the DRL...only when in 'DRL' mode the High beam bulb is supplied with less voltage for DRL's lower light wattage output. I don't know anything about HID's but doubt if it would be good to lower their input voltage?

yeah it is not a simple bulb in case of HID's and also they take about 35watts of wattage so cant go much lower then that. Hmmm that will be intersting if some one knew a way around this bec i know i have seen some LX's with after market HID's

I wonder why nobody has posted what seems to me the easiest and most logical solution for temporarily disabling the DRLs? Wire a switch that runs the e-brake sensor hot lead to ground?

No relays required (the sensor switch carries next to no current). No upside down dash diving, you get an indicator light and it's next to impossible to stuff it up even if you're a total wiring newb. By just providing an alternate path to ground, the warning light will be lit both when the DRLs are disabled and/or when the e-brake is engaged. IMO neither should ever be the case when the vehicle is underway.

If you can manage to use the e-brake lever position as your cue that you've got it engaged, and don't intend to drive with the DRLs disabled most of the time, (e-brake sensor warning light would be annoying among other things), this is dead easy and should work across all model years.

You don't even need a lighted toggle, the dash idiot light is your reminder that they're off. Safe for street and convenient for those odd occasions when you want to turn them off for a bit.

Last edited:
That is how I am setting mine up...I just haven't ordered the switch yet...for now the DRL's are just 'off'.
did you ever finish this up?

I have a couple of toggle switches in my electronics junk box that would work fine if you need one.

What do the switches look like? I'm actually about to wire my drl's into a switch.

I've had them off for a while now. I've noticed when it gets darker, not night time dark, but mid evening. People tend to not see you as well. Causing you to turn on your lights. But before somebody hits me before I turn my lights on. I've decided to put them on a switch, so I have options... I like options.

The auto parts store doesn't carry anything impressive. Actually, it's junk.

I wonder why nobody has posted what seems to me the easiest and most logical solution for temporarily disabling the DRLs? Wire a switch that runs the e-brake sensor hot lead to ground?

You will also have to cycle the ignition, as the e-brake must be applied prior to the engine starting for them to be disabled.

FYI: I just cut the wire in two and taped the ends until such time as I can put the switch in the dash...but for now I don't have DRLs.
This did not work for me on my 1999 100.

When I cut the wire and just left it, nothing changed.

I have one bulb that is burnt out, don't know if that is messing something up?

Getting a new bulb tomorrow and will test grounding the wire.

I'm kind of bummed...I have my dash all taken apart and was all ready to wire in the switch. Somehow this mod, is not a easy as just cutting a wire for me.

Thoughts?

This did not work for me on my 1999 100.

When I cut the wire and just left it, nothing changed.

I have one bulb that is burnt out, don't know if that is messing something up?

Getting a new bulb tomorrow and will test grounding the wire.

I'm kind of bummed...I have my dash all taken apart and was all ready to wire in the switch. Somehow this mod, is not a easy as just cutting a wire for me.

Thoughts?
What a moron!!

I was looking at the lights to the side of the head lamp assembly. I thought those were the DRL. I guess those lights just come on all the time?

Anyway, this worked perfect and the photos posted early worked just right. I am posting my pics here, just to help back up the thread.

Just like the other pic, its the wire to the far right in the photo
DRL1.jpg

I carved out the back of the mirror adustment switch assembly with a dremel
Before
DRL3.jpg

After
DRL2.jpg

Here it is all finished. $7 switch from Ace Hardware
DRLswitch.jpg

It works perfectly, Thanks to all those that posted before me!!

I think the switch is a good idea. This way, as a father hauling a whole family, I can feel good that I still have DRL most of the time. Say I got in an accident and my family was hurt/worse, if I had disabled the lights, I would be left thinking...what if I hadn't.

However, I can turn them off at night while at the campsite!! :D:D

Ha, you were thinking your side markee lights were the DRLs? Thats an easy enough mistake to make. The switch looks super clean, great job!

I like that switch a lot.

The only thing that would make it better would be a small dim LED that lit when the DRLs were disabled. That is what I have on my work vehicle and it is very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom