Another LX470 DRL Question/Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry guys - tried researching on here, but I'm slow like Forrest Gump.

Have a 2002 LX470. Stuck an LED in my high beam housing. Think I completely forgot about the whole "you can't use a LED" scenario as the DRL typically uses the halogen high beam at a lower voltage.

Was about to leave on a trip and my passenger side LED high beam didn't come on at all, even used with the halogen bulb (the driver side still had an LED bulb in it). Then, my driver side LED high beam wouldn't turn off at all in any scenario, so I just pulled the plug and went on my trip w/o any high-beams working.

Now that I'm back from my trip, just wanted to ensure a few things:

1 - High Beams work when I need them to.
2 - I don't want DRLs on at all, don't care for them whatsoever.

Want to do this trick below, but can I leave my LEDs in there, or do I need to switch back to the halogens?

Screenshot_2.jpg

Have a 2002 LX470. Stuck an LED in my high beam housing. Think I completely forgot about the whole "you can't use a LED" scenario as the DRL typically uses the halogen high beam at a lower voltage.

Was about to leave on a trip and my passenger side LED high beam didn't come on at all, even used with the halogen bulb (the driver side still had an LED bulb in it). Then, my driver side LED high beam wouldn't turn off at all in any scenario, so I just pulled the plug and went on my trip w/o any high-beams working.

Want to do this trick below, but can I leave my LEDs in there, or do I need to switch back to the halogens?

View attachment 3395917

Oh yea BTW, I'm not going to put them on a switch. I'm just gonna disconnect the wire.

In techstream you can turn off DRL.
No clue if this will fix the LED in high beam issues.

Upgrade your DRL halogen bulbs to LED and it won’t turn on anymore. It will work only for low beam but not as DRL. Tried and and tested it myself.

I think there's an issue when they are LEDs, that I outlined in my original post. One doesn't come on, the other won't turn off at all.

I think there's an issue when they are LEDs, that I outlined in my original post. One doesn't come on, the other won't turn off at all.
Either you have a wiring issue or maybe because yours is 2002 Lexus, you need a load resistor inline of your high beam LED.
2006 Lexus is working flawlessly without any issues after upgrading to LED low and high beam bulbs.
I had the same issue as yours after upgrading my 30 Lexus LS400 high beam bulbs to LED bulbs. After installing Load resistor in between high beam bulb wiring, my problem got solved.

View attachment 3395917

I actually placed both halogens in the connectors for the high beam, replaced a 20A fuse which crapped out, and everything functions as normal. I just need to disable DRL, the absolute cheapest way. Did anyone perform the fix from the screenshot? I think I might just go back to halogens for high beams.

I actually placed both halogens in the connectors for the high beam, replaced a 20A fuse which crapped out, and everything functions as normal. I just need to disable DRL, the absolute cheapest way. Did anyone perform the fix from the screenshot? I think I might just go back to halogens for high beams.
You have 4 options.
1 Switch back to all halogen
2 Disable DRL in Techstream
3 Inline load resistor
4 upgrade your High beam dumb LED bulbs to Can Bus error free LED bulbs.

There is website that sells inline plug and play load resistor that is way easy to install and no splicing needed. I am not sure if they have them for LX470

Just use their chart and type in your vehicle make and model and you may find load resistor that fits your car. You will only need one load resistor.
www.superbrightleds.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom