Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Cimarron.
Would you also be able to grab a snap of where your push rod attaches to your clutch pedal?

Unless I am not understanding some very basic fluid dynamic principals, the bore and stroke of a cylinder are fixed values, not variable and cannot be adjusted. The comment about lengthening the stroke, I assume can only refer to increasing the amount of the available stroke that actually gets used.

If for some reason the 80 pedals and master don't actually use all of the 80 masters available stroke, then I could see lowering the mounting point on the pedal slightly would result is more stoke being used. I'd be interested to see if your push rod is attached to th OEM hole on the clutch pedal, or if an additional hole has been drilled below it.
Will do. I do know my pedal was adjusted the best it could be but still sticks out a bit. Not on same plane as brake pedal.

Here are some crappy photos of clutch parts. I didn't have much time and I also couldn't find any part numbers on the anything either.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very interesting. They cut off the eye bracket and extended it about an inch. I guess that means that the stock setup does not use all of the available stroke of the master before the pedal is on the floor. They must have done this to move the pedal out giving more pedal throw translating to more of the stroke being used. @Columbia Cruiser must be affiliated with Jonesey's as he is spot on with your setup.

Tonight both my NV3500 and NV4500 slaves came in. The mounting flange is identical. The NV3500 push rod is 4" where the NV4500 qis 4.5"...they are interchangable if need be.

I removed the pin and quick disconnect, and replaced with a russel -3AN adapter fitting. I am going to run a flexible -3AN line to the frame and the adapter to the standard Inverted flare M10x1.0 and run a hard line to the master.

Very interesting. They cut off the eye bracket and extended it about an inch. I guess that means that the stock setup does not use all of the available stroke of the master before the pedal is on the floor. They must have done this to move the pedal out giving more pedal throw translating to more of the stroke being used. @Columbia Cruiser must be affiliated with Jonesey's as he is spot on with your setup.

Tonight both my NV3500 and NV4500 slaves came in. The mounting flange is identical. The NV3500 push rod is 4" where the NV4500 qis 4.5"...they are interchangable if need be.

I removed the pin and quick disconnect, and replaced with a russel -3AN adapter fitting. I am going to run a flexible -3AN line to the frame and the adapter to the standard Inverted flare M10x1.0 and run a hard line to the master.
It will be interesting seeing how you and Jeremy install your clutch pieces. I don't know squat about them since I've never had one go out to fix.

I went on my quarterly pick n pull adventure this morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find a 95 sitting there. I was more surprised to open the door and see a locker dial but was bummed to find the third members were already taken along with all four axle shafts. I did find both front and rear locker actuators sitting on the ground so I snagged them along with the dial and all the dash switches for backups. Whoever snagged the diffs probably didn't know what they were grabbing since they left all the other locker components behind. Always a good day when you find any Land Cruiser sitting in a pick n pull.

Nice score. I plan to re-wire my ARB's to use the magic dial at some point. There are no pick and pulls anywhere near where I live :(

Nice score. I plan to re-wire my ARB's to use the magic dial at some point. There are no pick and pulls anywhere near where I live :(
I have two big ones that list all the vehicles online and another 3-4 smaller ones that you have to hope for the best at finding what yours looking for.

In Las Vegas this week working a festival out in the desert. Got back to hotel to find this in the parking lot. If only I had time to travel the world.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Today's forecast is thunderstorms so I planned to do nothing since I spent the last few days staying late at work replacing both rear drum brakes, hardware, and hub seals on the F350. I had a hub seal blow up and leak gear oil into the drum which made a nice smokey mess when I was braking. Anyway went out in the garage to grab a few things today and it started to monsoon so instead of running back to the house getting wet I decided to replace both tie rod ends on the drag link of the 80. Easy job as everything came apart pretty quickly. I did have to break out the pipe wrench to hold the drag link to unscrew the knuckle side TRE.
IMG_3869.JPG

I only used two of the four tie rod ends in this kit. Replaced the other two last year but for $100 it made sense to buy all four and save the other two for spares.
IMG_3867.JPG

Rubber was split and oozing grease so it was time for them to go.
IMG_3870.JPG

Easy work taking them off with this tool.
IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

That tool changed my life.

And yeah, the weather is putting a serious damper on my front end rebuild. Got knuckles done, axles/new birfs in, spindles, and one brake backer on before it started raining.. so I'm doing the part time kit in my garage waiting for it to pass.

My family and I are vacationing in Hawaii at the moment and yesterday was one of those days I really wished I had my 80 or any other 4wd vehicle other than a rental car. We had a nice adventure climbing Mauna Kea, Hawaii's highest point at 13,796. This peak could easily be driven to in a 4wd vehicle. Even the rental car could have got up and down but it wasn't worth the risk bringing it down without a true low range. Since driving up was out we went up the hiking trail from the visitor center at 9,200. It was the wife, our two boys, and my brother in law. Besides the altitude killing us everything was going smooth. Hiked through a few clouds which was cool and after 8 hours we reached the top.
At this point it got interesting. Our boys hit the wall after the summit and at this point hiking 6 miles back down the trail was not looking pleasant for them. Since there are observatories at the top there was plenty of traffic to hitch a ride down the steep main road, so we thought. We found a nice German couple in a 4runner to give the wife and boys a ride down while myself and brother in law starting walking the road down to catch another ride. They only got a ride halfway down since the couple was in a hurry to get back to the top for sunset. No big deal at the time. Well clouds moved in and visibility went to 8ft so the park closed the road. Wife was stuck at mile marker 2.5 while me and her brother were at marker 6 making our way down. We were still above the clouds but she and the boys were stuck in the mess. After awhile she was able to flag down Ranger Bryan, also in a 4runner, who scooped them up and drove up to pick up us as well. Of course right when we got to the car they opened the road back up. There was about 30 vehicles waiting to head up. It's definitely a story to remember.

As you can see the fog/clouds were pretty thick. While hiking up it was a welcome since it brought cooler temps and blocked the sun. We were adding and shedding layers all day.
IMG_3915.JPG

View from the top above the clouds. If we would have hiked today it would have been clear skies with 360 degree views of the ocean.
IMG_3923.JPG

It's been awhile since I posted anything in this thread. Seems the BJ40 is getting all the time lately. Anyway I had my Glow Shift egt gauge crap out a long time ago and finally got a replacement. Went with ISSPRO this time. I liked that they had one that was designed for post turbo temp probe, which I have. Since I don't trust a Glow Shift replacement I bought a matching boost gauge to replace the existing as well. Hopefully get them installed this week in prep for a Big Bend trip next week with the wife.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Sweet! Red range starts a little early on the pyro but it looks great! Isspro is a very reputable brand.

Sweet! Red range starts a little early on the pyro but it looks great! Isspro is a very reputable brand.
They better be reputable with the prices they get for their stuff. I do like that the pyro gauge has a pigtail for the temp sensor unlike the Glow Shift I had. I do wish the boost was not electronic but I had to purchase the same series to match the pyro.

I've been a long term ISSPRO user .. ( 10 years or so ) great stuff .. altho those looks like the 1st gen EV1 . .

I've been a long term ISSPRO user .. ( 10 years or so ) great stuff .. altho those looks like the 1st gen EV1 . .
Both are EV2. Part numbers R-12092 for EGT and R-12333 for boost. You can really get lost on their website with the plethora of models to choose from. I found that Dieselmanor.com, where I purchased, had good descriptions of all the models along with photos. My only real wants were red needle and white illumination. I will probably throw in red leds to match my dash at some point.
If everything works out well I will spend the money to get a RPM and oil pressure gauges for the 40.

Gauges installed. I will change to red illumination if I can find my stash of LEDs that are somewhere in the garage.
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_4425.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom