Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

-Next up was adding some more sound proofing to the center console. The gear whine is coming up through the shifters so just added a few layers of carpet padding I had laying around to see how it works. I also added a 5 speed boot over the other one.
IMG_3267.jpg

-New Donaldson replacement air filters arrive Monday.

-I also attempted to replace my fusible link with my spare to see if that would make my airbag light turn off. I buggered it up trying to widen the terminal end to fit over my positive terminal bus. Original went back on for now.

-Last thing will be figuring out a fuse for the alternator so I don't fry batteries if I have an over voltage issue again.

-Next up was adding some more sound proofing to the center console. The gear whine is coming up through the shifters so just added a few layers of carpet padding I had laying around to see how it works. I also added a 5 speed boot over the other one.
View attachment 1196502

-New Donaldson replacement air filters arrive Monday.

-I also attempted to replace my fusible link with my spare to see if that would make my airbag light turn off. I buggered it up trying to widen the terminal end to fit over my positive terminal bus. Original went back on for now.

-Last thing will be figuring out a fuse for the alternator so I don't fry batteries if I have an over voltage issue again.
What's the Cat-5 cable for?

Ham radio mic.

Cool. I used a Cat-5 cable in a car once when I wanted to put the aftermarket XM receiver in the back of the car. The extention cable was like $100 so I put converted it to Cat-5 and extended it for $15.

While working on truck last night I opened up the TC plug to see if I needed to add some oil since I swapped 4wd switch. About 1/2 quart came out meaning my seal between trans and TC has failed. Picked up some Amsoil 75/90 manual transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube GL-4 to top off the trans before driving again. I guess I will eventually just replace the TC oil to Amsoil so they both can live in happy harmony sharing fluid until I get around to replacing seal.

Last edited:
Two things happened today.
Drove the 80 for the first time in awhile. Everything is good except the stupid airbag light. No clue on how to get that off with no electronics in the truck. I might try swapping in the airbag module from the parts rig to see if that fixes it.
The other thing is I am now officially out of the Jeep world. :D I sold my Jeep Liberty CRD about an hour ago. This is the last thing I needed to do before my trip to Costa Rica to find a BJ40. I was a bit sad to see it go but it needed to go if I want a decent 40. It was a great little diesel that gave me some good memories of places it took me.
One last photo post of the CRD...now on to being a Land Cruiser only household.
DSC_0132.jpg

The 80 is getting a big brother. Spend the past weekend in Costa Rica searching out a BJ40. It's no gem but it's diesel and will hopefully serve me well just like the guy who had it. I have never seen so many Land Cruisers in one place. Most were 40's, 70's and Prados. Saw about a dozen 80's and surprisingly two lx450's.
Here's what will be shipping north soon.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And my favorite of the weekend.
image.jpeg

As for my 80 I have a Denso reman alternator that arrived yesterday in Austin that will be getting converted to internal regulated instead of using an external regulater. I also ordered a Tiny Tach to use to get a reliable RPM reading in order to adjust my Dakata Digital box correctly. After that it will go into the BJ40. Thanks @GLTHFJ60 for suggesting the Tiny Tach. Seems like a neat little gadget.

Very nice and congrats. It sounds like you have opted to ship rather than drive the BJ40 back, was that due to available time you have to spare?

Very nice and congrats. It sounds like you have opted to ship rather than drive the BJ40 back, was that due to available time you have to spare?
Yup. I have to save all my vacation time for family vacation in Hawaii in June.

Tiny Tach came in the mail yesterday. Looks like very easy install. Clamps to injection line.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We also added another diesel to the drive way. 2003 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed that will be my stepson's car when he turns 16 in June. I will be using it as my commuter until then. Much better than driving the 7.3 everyday that drinks 30 gallons of diesel every week.
image.jpeg

Love the TDI!

TinyTach should be a super easy install, just make sure to scrape the paint off of the injection line you clamp it on beforehand. Feel free to paint over the tinytach after the fact.

Cim, are you still having troubles with the digital dakota getting the tach to read right?
Yes. I believe its the alternator at this point. When its charging I get a good feed but when the regulator turns off/on the needle bounces. We checked the W wire feed with some fancy thing our engineer had at work and it showed a bad signal coming from the alt. New alternator is at work at the moment and I will be ordering an internal regulator for it today. Just need to find the proper one since the stock Denso never came internal regulated. There are a few write up showing how to modify it which looks pretty easy.

If it doesn't already have it get a Panzer plate for that TDI before the 16YO gets his hands on it. Oil pans aren't cheap or convenient and new drivers seem to have a habit of smashing them on those cars. Pretty easy to install too.

Also I have all of the timing belt tools in case you need to do that any time in the future. Just let me know.

If it doesn't already have it get a Panzer plate for that TDI before the 16YO gets his hands on it. Oil pans aren't cheap or convenient and new drivers seem to have a habit of smashing them on those cars. Pretty easy to install too.

Also I have all of the timing belt tools in case you need to do that any time in the future. Just let me know.
Good call on the Panzer plate.

After talking to Adam at Nations Starter and Alternator this morning he talked me into sticking with an external regulator. He recommended the V1300 HD. Looks pretty shout.
v1300-regulator.jpg

• Universal 10A Continuous Field Current Capability
  • Over Voltage Protection
  • Protected Against Loss of Ground & Under Voltage Conditions
  • Fully Encapsulated
  • Adjustable Voltage Set Point Range +/- 0.5V
  • Under Voltage Warning Light

What advantages did he cite with using the external VR versus the internal one? My internal one has been working flawlessly.

What advantages did he cite with using the external VR versus the internal one? My internal one has been working flawlessly.
Heat mainly. He said that is why the "store brand" or chrysler external regulators fail all the time on our application and mentioned the internal conversion parts don't have a big enough heat sink for the 120a alternator so it would be the same problem. My main concern was not overcharging due to failure. This one has protection against that. I just placed my order so we will see how it goes once installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom