Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am extremely interested in your air cleaner setup. Can you give me any details on the housing / filter application and or part numbers?

EDIT:
Should have been more clear. I've got the filter number, just not the housing information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DONALDSON-F...743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d26eae2f

EDIT2:
Found the following reference from Baldwin Filter that states this filter fits the FRG09 housing series:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/5 Catalogs&Supplements/Form562.pdf

Found this catalog from donaldson that shows a couple variants. Can't find where to buy online though.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/catalogs/engine/033616.pdf

Looking at the pics on page 6 of this thread, you have a wingnut style endcap, so it's style A. Need to figure out where to buy these online. Any help sourcing would be appreciated :cheers:

Edit 3:
According to the donaldson catalog above, housing G090245 and G090250 are the only two that fit this element, so it has to be one of those two. Looking at the dimensions, both are the same, but the 250 model flows a bit more.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Here you go.
I am extremely interested in your air cleaner setup. Can you give me any details on the housing / filter application and or part numbers?

EDIT:
Should have been more clear. I've got the filter number, just not the housing information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DONALDSON-F...743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d26eae2f

EDIT2:
Found the following reference from Baldwin Filter that states this filter fits the FRG09 housing series:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/5 Catalogs&Supplements/Form562.pdf

Found this catalog from donaldson that shows a couple variants. Can't find where to buy online though.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/catalogs/engine/033616.pdf

Looking at the pics on page 6 of this thread, you have a wingnut style endcap, so it's style A. Need to figure out where to buy these online. Any help sourcing would be appreciated :cheers:

Edit 3:
According to the donaldson catalog above, housing G090245 and G090250 are the only two that fit this element, so it has to be one of those two. Looking at the dimensions, both are the same, but the 250 model flows a bit more.

Do you think the stock air box is not adequate to support the 6bt? I've been told this before.

Do you think the stock air box is not adequate to support the 6bt? I've been told this before.
Yes that's what I was told as well. That was the reason the Donaldson was put in. The snorkel wouldn't cut it either so that's why the housing is open in the engine bay as well.

I have a similar housing and found my filter at napa for $15 ish.. much more surface area than the OEM I wanted to keep but it didn't work out. It is interesting to see the different approaches for installs on the Cummins motors. Nice work

lrg0120.JPG

I have a similar housing and found my filter at napa for $15 ish.. much more surface area than the OEM I wanted to keep but it didn't work out. It is interesting to see the different approaches for installs on the Cummins motors. Nice work
No kidding. I have yet to see two Cummins conversions that look the same.

It was a good afternoon to change tie rod ends. Both ends were toast. I used the proper tool for the job instead of the pickle fork which I usually use. Absolutely no play in the tie rod now. I was amazed that it was that big of a difference.
IMG_1640.JPG

Bad.
IMG_1641.JPG

I also removed my homemade catch can system from the CRD and am thinking of adding it to the Cummins. It's not the best but it does keep the random drip off the ground or on components you don't want misty oil vapors on. Filter medium inside is just steal wool. CCV gases goes into the left side and exits out the top and vents out down by the frame rail. The bottom tube collected the oil. I have a spout that I can crawl underneath and drain during oil changes..
IMG_1643.jpg

I need to come up with a catch setup like that for my motor. That one random drip is the only leak I have now.

Today was a success. Installed brand new OEM (93-94) brass radiator and no leaks! It did take me 6 or 7 times to test fit with the electric fans. This radiator was a tad fatter than the other one I had which made the big fan hit where the mechanical fan would be (don't know what you would call that now). So I had to flip the large and small fan around a couple times to make fit. Luckily I bought extra fan clips. I knew something would not go right.
I got to test my 180 degree thermostat during the test run. Modified gauge showed in the middle when it opened then it dove down like it always does. It creeped back up to about the 4 o'clock position and stayed. I will have to check my mileage on the next couple fill up to see if the colder engine hurts it. I may look for a 185 degree thermostat or go back to the 192 if it does.

Installed a 195 degree temp switch for the electric fans to replace the 185 degree. The Cummins keeps cool enough that the fan doesn't need to be on constantly. I also want to rig up an auto/on/off switch for it using a rear heater switch. Just need to make the time.

Got my Blackstone Labs analysis in yesterday. No traces of coolant or fuel in the oil, which is good. Only concern they mentioned was bearing wear but it wasn't anything extreme. They stated it was on par with engines that see heavy towing or lots of stop and go driving. Who knows what the donor truck it came from was used for. I was planning a rebuild before install but with only 150K on the engine it didn't seem necessary. I will probably send in another oil sample in another 6K to see how things are going.
On another note I did some wheeling in Arkansas yesterday while visiting the in laws for Christmas. They had lots of rain lately and it was very muddy. Truck sank like a ship and my Duratracs turned into slicks real quick. The friends property that we wheeled on had a junk yard of unbelievable vehicles. I counted six 40's, two 45's, old LR90 and 110, lots of Jeeps. One of their two main crawlers was a 40 on 49's using Rockwell axles. I think the only part of the 40 left was the hood and front fenders. I will try to load the pics if I can get the stupid iPad to load them using the browser. For some reason it won't do it.

It was kinda sad to see all these just sitting there not being touched. Most ran when parked.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419434552.654062.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419434567.355434.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419434579.255589.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419434592.023335.jpg

man. sad to see.

Do they have plans for the 40s and 45s? maybe for sale?
Don't think so. From what my friend said is his Dad buys all this stuff to fix up but it never happens.

That happens all the time. Shame.

Pretty selfish to keep them from other people that want to restore them. Once that person dies or whatever, they are often too far gone after sitting in a field for 20 years.

And they are worth $$ as they sit, never understood how someone could look at thousands of dollars rot away.

That happens all the time. Shame.

Pretty selfish to keep them from other people that want to restore them. Once that person dies or whatever, they are often too far gone after sitting in a field for 20 years.

And they are worth $$ as they sit, never understood how someone could look at thousands of dollars rot away.

It often just comes down to pride. Selling them would be admitting defeat/he's never gonna do it, or that he may die soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom