Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great looking Cruiser and dig the conversion!

Uhhhggg on the heater core. Mine may need to be serviced (flushed out of the truck) or replaced. My heat sucks and I have done everything to try and fix it. Rear heat works fine so kind of thinking heater core is clogged.

Cheers

Added a few things over that last couple days. Added attic rack, which still needs to be painted, and started installing a Yaesu FTM-400 ham radio. Way more radio than I probably need but I like the fact it has built in APRS and GPS. Taking test this weekend. Fun stuff.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just a quick question for ys as I was drooling over your center console... If you could do it again do you think finding a 6 speed would be worth it?

I have a buddy up in OR with a gen 1 6bt 5 speed combo at it will pull down a house. 1st gear is not for street at all, wondering if that added higher gear would help on the hwy... Since you basically delete 1st, and have 2nd thru 5th = a 4 speed manual.

Thanks,

-Matt

Just a quick question for ys as I was drooling over your center console... If you could do it again do you think finding a 6 speed would be worth it?

I have a buddy up in OR with a gen 1 6bt 5 speed combo at it will pull down a house. 1st gear is not for street at all, wondering if that added higher gear would help on the hwy... Since you basically delete 1st, and have 2nd thru 5th = a 4 speed manual.

Thanks,

-Matt
Yes 1st gear is unused 90% of the time. I loved in when in Moab though. I wouldn't change anything at this point. I plan on installing Marks 60 series TC gears that will give me 8% increase in high range and a lower low range than i have now.

Nv4500 or nv5600 hmmmm

Given the cost and what you gain amd what you lose... NV4500 for sure.

I only have a getrag :'(

Nv4500 or nv5600 hmmmm

Given the cost and what you gain amd what you lose... NV4500 for sure.

I only have a getrag :'(
I think it's twice the size as well.

With winter coming I finally got around to plumbing the heater. The heater core took a dump during conversion and it was bypassed. Pretty simple task. The bypass hose was the perfect length to connect right into the heater core piping. Only lost about 1/2 cup of coolant. No leaks during test drive so that's the good news. Bad news is my temp control stopped working. I have to pop the hood and manually open/close the valve. Hopefully it's something simple. I suspect the motor that pulls the cable went bad but I won't know till I pull the radio bezel to get a better look. Maybe the cable came loose or I didn't reconnect it when I replace the heater core.
image.jpg

Can you show what you hooked to what? I'm wondering if I hooked mine up right. I connected the tubing running from the water pump to the heater valve and then the hose coming out of the firewall to the tubing running to the upper water neck. Hoping that's correct.

Can you show what you hooked to what? I'm wondering if I hooked mine up right. I connected the tubing running from the water pump to the heater valve and then the hose coming out of the firewall to the tubing running to the upper water neck. Hoping that's correct.
Will do. I'll try to take some better ones when I get home from work this evening. I don't have a rear heater so that made it a bit easier to hook up.

Coolant flow comes from the rear of the engine passing through heater control valve and then loops back into DS heater core pipe. Then comes out PS heater core piping and connects to the bottom front PS of the accessory bracket.
I am assuming this is the correct way. I stared at it for about 15 minutes trying to talk myself into a different plan.
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1398.jpg

Finally finished up my compressor bracket. After many different location ideas I settled on mounting it under the truck above the rear axle close to the air tank. No modifications needed to mount in this location. Bracket was made from the rear tire cross member and some scrap metal left over from another project. Total cost was $0. Now to plumb into tank, run electrical to batter, and add on/off switch in cab.
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

First air cleaner filter change. It took a little while since the battery, snorkel and turbo connections, and the canister itself all had to come out just to get to the filter. It should go smoother next time now that I know all the tricks on getting it out. A couple things I noticed is the Donaldson filters that were in it look exactly like the cheaper Wix filters I swapped in.
Since I may have changed them out prematurely and its not as easy job I also added in a filter minder so I know when to change them out next.
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1410.JPG

Replaced dash lights with red LEDs. I had some PIAA super white bulbs in there but after replacing two bulbs on separate occasions I decided to try something different. Now all dash, switch, radio, and A/C lights are red. I haven't driven it at night yet to see how easy on the eyes the red will be.
IMG_1414.JPG

Thanks for the pics! Our heater hoses are setup quite a bit differently on the cummins though, I'll figure it out!

Thanks for the pics! Our heater hoses are setup quite a bit differently on the cummins though, I'll figure it out!
Yeah it seems a lot of the Cummins swaps are different from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom