Camp Coffee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jeezus! I'd be twitching so much after that many shots people would call me "Mr Buzzy, the human vibrator"!

I like cowboy coffee, camping, at home, at work. Simple coffee goodness, just like coffee, only betterer :hillbilly:

That's just in the morning, when I get to work probably 3-5 more of the quads and when I get home I'll do another and then a double shot with a bit of cream right before bed. Luckily our espresso machine at work is FREE!

I'm not as intense as @spressomon, but this is my most recent coffee set up, both on the trail and at home. In the past, I've tried mocha espresso makers that scorch the grounds. All sorts of french presses, but you either have to leave the grounds in too long to get a strong cup, but then you've over extracted the grounds and it tastes bitter.

I got a new job at a start up agency that didn't provide coffee. So I got hooked on Starbucks' dark drip coffee. After spending way too much on coffee everyday, I invested in this set up to save money and up my camp coffee game.

Hario V60 w/ Yeti Tumbler

10950423_1663957053880135_96156365_n.jpg

Hario Slim Mill

51LZlieTMzL._SL1000_.jpg

just got my hario mill and moka-pot. Might just have to keep the press. the moka-pot is cool, but the press is soooo functional...Will play with the grind of the mill and tamp on the moka-pot some more, maybe the creame will shape up...if I can nail the brew, then it'll time for a second moka-pot; they're a bit small for American Me and
upload_2016-1-17_11-54-26.jpeg

...and they probably stood in line for the coffee goodness :D

just got my hario mill and moka-pot. Might just have to keep the press. the moka-pot is cool, but the press is soooo functional...Will play with the grind of the mill and tamp on the moka-pot some more, maybe the creame will shape up...if I can nail the brew, then it'll time for a second moka-pot; they're a bit small for American Me and View attachment 1192938

Once it's done girgling it's done and pull it off. It's not made to produce a lot of creama, which requires more pressure than the moka pot uses. Still the best way to make coffee though...

YEP, THAT'S THE ONE

While "camping" at 1000 Trails CG Paicines CA...homemade rosemary + pecan biscotti & cappa made by EspressoForge, Bellman, Buena Vista Roasters & Schoch Dairy ;)
image.jpeg

Now you're just showing off... But tell us more!!

If I can do it...anyone can do it! Its the one (and only) "taste" I've been making everyday for 20-years and never tire of!

Didn't need much encouragement to get out the past week and enjoy the unusually high temps and calm conditions the massive bubble of high pressure has provided the Sierra...

espresso set up in the wild.jpg

I like to travel light so Via usually comes on backpacking trips or when traveling JIC. It's not great but often better than gas station drip - or nothing. For camping we used to just bring the percolator- I learned how to use it from my uncle who would make a pot of Folgers on overnight fishing trips with water he scooped directly from the lake. Funky.

I once saw a guy froth hot milk in a French press by moving the plunger up and down really quick. It wasn't perfect foam but again, better than nothing.

I use clean water and freshly ground beans from a GSI Outdoors hand grinder in my perc but I lost the sight glass so just picked up one of these for cheap at IKEA to learn on.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Traditional cowboy campfire coffee
1...Hang a pail half full of water over the fire to boil
2...Add a few pinches of salt to sharpen the flavour and increase the extraction efficiency
3...Add a handfull of crushed egg shell to help in settling the coffee grounds and improve the flavor
4...When the water is boiling fill the remaining space in the pail with crushed or ground coffee beans
5...Leave the coffee under the supervision of the night guard who will top up the water as necessary
6... In the morning remove the pail from the fire and allow the grounds to settle
7...Unwrap a cleaned and polished coffee testing special high density horseshoe
8...Drop the horseshoe into the pail of coffee
9... If the horseshoe sinks and disappears into the layer of coffee grounds the coffee isn't done.
10...Drink the coffee anyway. It's morning.
11 Using the high efficiency and improved optical power of the eyeballs resulting from the consumption of the first two mugs of coffee observe the location of all of the cattle in relation to the landscape.
12... If necessary saddle a horse and return any stray cattle to the main area of the herd.
13...Return to the location of the pail of coffee and perform a further practical evaluation of the progress of the coffee maturation process.
14...If a thunderstorm is in full swing, a gale is blowing , and a film crew is in the vicinity, take your mug of coffee with you, re-mount the horse, and when at full gallop roll a cigarette with the left hand and at the same time use the right hand to drink coffee, rope any remaining stray cattle and fire a non-emptying six-shooter at raiding parties, whilst hanging from the side of the horse to avoid the arrows and flying hatchets of the said parties.
15...Return to the fire to partake of a fourth mug of coffee.

Traditional cowboy campfire coffee
1...Hang a pail half full of water over the fire to boil
2...Add a few pinches of salt to sharpen the flavour and increase the extraction efficiency
3...Add a handfull of crushed egg shell to help in settling the coffee grounds and improve the flavor
4...When the water is boiling fill the remaining space in the pail with crushed or ground coffee beans
5...Leave the coffee under the supervision of the night guard who will top up the water as necessary
6... In the morning remove the pail from the fire and allow the grounds to settle
7...Unwrap a cleaned and polished coffee testing special high density horseshoe
8...Drop the horseshoe into the pail of coffee
9... If the horseshoe sinks and disappears into the layer of coffee grounds the coffee isn't done.
10...Drink the coffee anyway. It's morning.
11 Using the high efficiency and improved optical power of the eyeballs resulting from the consumption of the first two mugs of coffee observe the location of all of the cattle in relation to the landscape.
12... If necessary saddle a horse and return any stray cattle to the main area of the herd.
13...Return to the location of the pail of coffee and perform a further practical evaluation of the progress of the coffee maturation process.
14...If a thunderstorm is in full swing, a gale is blowing , and a film crew is in the vicinity, take your mug of coffee with you, re-mount the horse, and when at full gallop roll a cigarette with the left hand and at the same time use the right hand to drink coffee, rope any remaining stray cattle and fire a non-emptying six-shooter at raiding parties, whilst hanging from the side of the horse to avoid the arrows and flying hatchets of the said parties.
15...Return to the fire to partake of a fourth mug of coffee.

Last "Camping" trip I took along my Saeco Super Automatica Espresso machine. It's very hard going from that to anything else... Trip before that, we just ran pre-ground drip coffee. Eh... I can drink s*** coffee and be okay - but why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom