Camping Stove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
winter is here.. who loves winter camping?? I like. but recommend which is better camping stove made of steel or titanium?

$h!t, i'm only an hour n change west of you n i'm not seeing that winter's started. any way, welcome aboard this crazy train of misfits n reprobates. winter campin'? sign me up. now to your question, camp stove? cooking or heat? cooking, most of mine is done over an open fire n bed of coals. sometimes the coleman. heat, i do an upside down fire. a 24" cube will last aprox 6 hours. another good fire lay for long heat, search rakovalkea. it also works well. oh, by the way, a tent? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:don't own one.:grinpimp:

winter is here.. who loves winter camping?? I like. but recommend which is better camping stove made of steel or titanium?

My brass Svea 123 stove has never failed me, at any altitude, at any temperature; bought it new 49 years ago. Still works great with zero repairs or real maintenance. One moving part (the needle for the jet).

^ yeah, but it's not titanium :)

cheers,
george.

$h!t, i'm only an hour n change west of you n i'm not seeing that winter's started. any way, welcome aboard this crazy train of misfits n reprobates. winter campin'? sign me up. now to your question, camp stove? cooking or heat? cooking, most of mine is done over an open fire n bed of coals. sometimes the coleman. heat, i do an upside down fire. a 24" cube will last aprox 6 hours. another good fire lay for long heat, search rakovalkea. it also works well. oh, by the way, a tent? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:don't own one.:grinpimp:
lol))) thank you))) I looking for cooking and heat too))) It's very cold in Canada right now. And I'm a little jealous of you! What kind of tent do you recommend?

My brass Svea 123 stove has never failed me, at any altitude, at any temperature; bought it new 49 years ago. Still works great with zero repairs or real maintenance. One moving part (the needle for the jet).
Thank you so mach! What better gas stove or wood stove?

lol))) thank you))) I looking for cooking and heat too))) It's very cold in Canada right now. And I'm a little jealous of you! What kind of tent do you recommend?
hey martin, we gotta toughen you up if this is very cold :flipoff2: it's got a long way to go before it's very cold, right now it's only chilly😤. why you jelly man?
tent??!??!! read my last 2 sentences again, i don't own one so it's tough to make a recommendation
but i can make recommendation for heat..............a hot busty redhead with the correct chromosomes.......................yeah, you know what i'm sayin'

@MartinClark , this is what winter looks like, last night in the motherland, -15c, that's only cold
1704413387899.png

wanna go camping? :hmm:

Did someone mention winter camping?
7X4A9995.jpeg

IMG_2962 (1).jpeg

Are you looking for a cooking stove? Stoves that run on isobutane mix do not work well in cold weather. Choose something that runs on liquid fuel, like the Svea 123 mentioned above, a Coleman stove, or something like the MSR Whisperlite. I always tent camp, so I don't have experience with wood stoves for camping.

Thank you so mach! What better gas stove or wood stove?

The Svea runs on gasoline or alcohol. Wood is not practical if there is any significant snow.

Did someone mention winter camping?
View attachment 3525253

View attachment 3525254

Are you looking for a cooking stove? Stoves that run on isobutane mix do not work well in cold weather. Choose something that runs on liquid fuel, like the Svea 123 mentioned above, a Coleman stove, or something like the MSR Whisperlite. I always tent camp, so I don't have experience with wood stoves for camping.
tent??!? what the fox that?

curious why you say that :hmm:

I should have been more specific - my winter camping is backpacking with cross-country skis or snowshoes (no vehicles). Wood is impractical to carry, and when you make camp it takes too long to forage and cut wood compared to lighting a gas stove. When the snow cover is heavy enough for skis or snowshoes, dead wood takes longer to find. At least in the places I have winter camped (Colorado, Alaska, New Mexico).

The Svea runs on gasoline or alcohol. Wood is not practical if there is any significant snow.

I would welcome to be proven wrong, but the 123s are not designed to be used with alcohol. I am not sure how well they would run, and would be hesitant to do so with how they are designed. They were made to be run with white gas/naptha/coleman fuel but will certainly work for a while on pump gas.

I have a pak cook (svea 123r clone) that was old when I first used it 25 years ago in scouts and is still going. It has never had any maintenance.

I would welcome to be proven wrong, but the 123s are not designed to be used with alcohol. I am not sure how well they would run, and would be hesitant to do so with how they are designed. They were made to be run with white gas/naptha/coleman fuel but will certainly work for a while on pump gas.

I have a pak cook (svea 123r clone) that was old when I first used it 25 years ago in scouts and is still going. It has never had any maintenance.

That may well be so; I thought I remembered the original instructions that came with mine saying alcohol could be run in a pinch, but that was 49 years ago and I no longer have the instructions. I've never used anything in mine but white gas/coleman fuel.

Where's that Titanium stove?

Im in Alaska. For stoves to cook: for backcountry skiing, hiking, biking, hunting I use a MSR pocket rocket (I have 3).

For camping closer to my truck I use this GSI and also have a 20+ year old Coleman duel fuel.

For heating my tent (when it gets much below 0F (-17C) I use one of these. Only kick it on ~30 min before I have to get out of my bag.

I also greatly prefer canvas tents for winter camping close to my vehicle (as they are heavy). They breath and don’t turn in to a steam room/ice block. I struggled with wood stoves for 20 years, my 0.02 is they are nice when you are going to set up somewhere for a week or so (I still use one when we fall caribou hunt above the arctic circle) but a massive PITA for just a couple of nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom