Camp Coffee (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still use the old school percolator that I've had for 40 years. Camped in Yosemite last week and brewed up some of Costco's Columbia Supremo. Really hit the spot on those chilly 20 something mornings.

The Aeropress was perfect for this past weekend's trip. The compact burr grinder worked flawlessly too. I was amazed at how easy the Aeropress was to clean. The design is very well thought out and using it is a breeze.

At home I use a standard French press, but it travels well too. Price is not bad for a SS double wall with 1L capacity.
Amazon.com: SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter: Kitchen & Dining

61SNpyRp20L._SL1235_.jpg

I broke the glass one back in October so I just got this one and it's great! (It's the identical Secura brand though) And it seems that the SS ones have gone down in price in the last year or so.

I've used French Press most of the time. Just black. Beans ground at home. Looking forward to trying out the Hario I got for Christmas!

I will be on the lookout for a hand mill, any recommendations?

image.jpg

EspressoForge in camp mode. + Buena Vista Roaster's Black Canyon Blend beans turned on the Mahlgut Grist MG-1 and pressed using the EF = Pure brown sugar & caramel (think: Snickers Bar) goodness in the cup.

Repeat for extra goodness :D

Excuse my lame ass latte art o_O

EspressoForge camp duty.jpg
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG

EspressoForge in camp mode. + Buena Vista Roaster's Black Canyon Blend beans turned on the Mahlgut Grist MG-1 and pressed using the EF = Pure brown sugar & caramel (think: Snickers Bar) goodness in the cup.

Repeat for extra goodness :D

Excuse my lame ass latte art o_O

View attachment 1184316View attachment 1184317View attachment 1184318

Ok so somehow I found this thread, I have no clue. I usually am in the 80 and 100 series section. So I am very interested in this espresso forge. I am looking at them and the price is attainable, but man that grinder is crazy expensive. I like the idea of no electric attachment. Can use out wherever and not need connections. Any other hand grinders you like? Appreciate the input.

OE has (or had, I didn't see it on the site) a Lido recommender based on whether you prefer easier adjustment at the espresso side or the brew end of the spectrum.

As far as I've heard, they seem to be well received.

I'm partial to the Mahlgut myself :D

image.jpeg

Its hard initially to wrap your head around investing more in the grinder than the espresso machine but after 20-years playing around with espresso making at home...believe me its true.

Similar in the audio hi-fi world of spending more on the tone arm and cartridge than downstream components (relative). The grinder plays a bigger role than downstream components.

So whilst the Mahlgut Grist MG-1 may seem expensive at first glance I can promise you, especially in the world of hand grinders, you won't be faced with "upgraditis" from a "lacking" perspective with the MG-1. Its that good.

Second place: OE Pharos. But as good of a value as it is...it will frustrate most folks.

The Mahlgut Grist MG-1 is sorta like a balanced and blueprinted 327. It, even after months and months of ownership still brings joy and satisfaction each and every time I use it...which is daily. And the difference in the cup is pronounced.

So for those that have the ability to ante-up I highly recommend "crying once" and be done with the process.

Also, unabashedly, I put together a group buy deal on a bunch of Mahlgut Grist MG-1 grinders in silver and black. I have a few grinders available from this deal and although they're not "cheap" the deal I was able to negotiate for this was better than buying direct. PM for details.

Dan

Also, unabashedly, I put together a group buy deal on a bunch of Mahlgut Grist MG-1 grinders in silver and black. I have a few grinders available from this deal and although they're not "cheap" the deal I was able to negotiate for this was better than buying direct. PM for details.

Dan
Sent pm. Thanks.

upload_2016-1-2_6-59-37.jpeg

I've been looking to get into the making espresso thing for some time. Thankfully found this thread with some awesome things. However less fortunate for my checking account haha.

I feel so out of class in this thread. I thought I was the bomb with my eight o'clock Colombian blend in a french press. Then I thought I'd really hit the next level when I found out about Cameron's handcrafted breakfast blend that I discovered at the local Walmart. Well you don't know what you don't know I guess !!!!

I feel so out of class in this thread. I thought I was the bomb with my eight o'clock Colombian blend in a french press. Then I thought I'd really hit the next level when I found out about Cameron's handcrafted breakfast blend that I discovered at the local Walmart. Well you don't know what you don't know I guess !!!!

Used to drink the Columbian blend faithfully for years until they changed it a couple years ago and called it Columbian Peaks, went to Coffee Bean direct via Amazon and rotate 5lb bags of Columbian Supremo, Italian Roast espresso, and French roast on subscribe and save.

Used to drink the Columbian blend faithfully for years until they changed it a couple years ago and called it Columbian Peaks, went to Coffee Bean direct via Amazon and rotate 5lb bags of Columbian Supremo, Italian Roast espresso, and French roast on subscribe and save.

I remember when Amazon used to sell books and DVD's. Never thought to even look for my coffee there. I might give that a shot, try the Camerons breakfast blend if you get a chance.

I remember when Amazon used to sell books and DVD's. Never thought to even look for my coffee there. I might give that a shot, try the Camerons breakfast blend if you get a chance.

I'll definitely try that out because I go thru 5lbs a month and since its been a bit cold and my SS doesn't come till next week I'm going to be short.

I used to buy direct from them but Amazon is cheaper and actually fresher, I called them out on that and they just said that Amazon is their biggest customer so they get the cream of the crop.

I average about $7/pound using the 5 items per month to get an additional 15% off all 5 items, buy my cashews, some cliff bars, TP, and other cheap incidentals under $10 to make the 5 each month since that knocks off about $5 on each bag of coffee. I'll vacuum pack 4lbs each in 1lb bags and freeze 3 and leave one in the pantry and leave the last one out to use during the week.

Yep, 5lbs a month, the little lady only make a cup in the morning. I've used a Saeco Magic Deluxe for years until I got my Gaggia Synchrony, all used of course from rich bastards that live in Georgetown. I'll make a 4 shot cap before I leave the house and another to take on the road.

I quit the starbucks 8 shot americano's about 12 years ago when I bought my first super automatica, nothing like pushing a button for espresso shots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom