Camp Coffee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also use a percolator, but just recently got turn into this little gadget and it works rather well..

Thats pretty slick. I guess if I'm boiling water at camp tho I might as well wait 5 more mins and percolate a whole pot

Been using the perculator for years. When I find the four leaf fold over type filters I usually buy the lot. The stamped seamless type pot will last much longer than the flat bottom ceramic and steel type.

Same as at home, some quality single source beans ground before I leave and brewed in a french press pot.

Nothing like a truly great cup of coffee while enjoying a great view.

61DFW0RJVxL._SL1500_.jpg

If you see that old black pot on the firepit. Fill with water, boil, add coffee, rolling boil for a few minutes and a splash
of cold water to settle the grounds. Couple of old guys having morning coffee.

P1030439.JPG

I have been through every iteration of camp coffee. Including, cowboy, drip filtered, percolated, french press and aeropress. My favorite is french press followed by aeropress and then cowboy.

I still can't bring myself to carry any coffee into the high country.

JetBoil the water and french press the pre-ground beans. When I'm backpacking I just use the Via ultra-grind stuff. My wife doesn't do coffee, so I'm usually just making 2 cups for myself.

My coffeesnob level has gone up exponentially in the last year or so, so take this with a grain of salt.

A long time ago, (on the trail) I ran a percolator for a while and thought it was the bomb. Then moved to a French press that left lots of soot. Then I switched to the Starbucks Via instant things. Then I went back to the Fench Press.

To me Via & percolator coffee is gross. Those are emergency caffeine sources ONLY. I'm not above consuming them, but only in case of emergency.

At home, I don't even drink coffee. I don't even have a plug in coffeemaker anymore. I roll espresso only. I don't have a mobile espresso rig yet, so on the trail I have to slum it with the rest of you :grinpimp:

The best bang for the buck is pour over coffee. For $6 and a pack of filters, you can have no-compromise drip coffee. It makes one cup of coffee at a time, so by its very nature it is always fresh and delicious if you do your part.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RBTSMM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_4lp3vb0VMP1EW

If you like French Press, but don't like the soot, look no further than the Espro Press. It is not cheap, but you get a cup that is almost as clean as drip coffee. It also makes a larger volume than the pour over, so it might be better for a group.

Espro Press | French Press | Seattle Coffee Gear

If you have delicate taste buds and can appreciate the difference in quality and flavor between Bud Light and a craft brew, then your coffee-making will benefit from having quality perfectly aged beans ground just before use, using a scale to weigh your beans & water, using the right water temperature - all in an effort not to under or over extract your coffee. If you enjoy a cold Natural Light or twelve at the end of the day, you will not taste the difference and will think this is a waste of time.

I just use a french press from an estate sale. It's better than the swill some is brewing on our expedition trips.

<snip> This. Unless @spressomon is on the trail with us, then I get in line I now have a hall pass deal for 1st in line at 'spressoBAR for an espresso or cappuccino. :cool:

Fixed it for you Tom :) And thanks!

I use an old percolator that's been on every camping trip since I was a hippie hitch hiking up and down HWY 101 in the 70's. It's well broken in and always brews a great tasting pot of coffee. It's also a great pasta pot, built in strainer.

I agree with all of this. Make a great pour over, and immediately get in line for a Cap at the Spressomon camp site. But bring your own milk, 'cause it runs out.

And... instant coffee and peculator coffee is, well, gross. Undrinkable. You can call it "Via" and charge $1 per cup for it, but it's still not worth drinking. Run away.

French press can be very good, pour over drip in a Melita cone can be excellent, but if you want the real goods, you gotta hang with the Spressomon.

Pour-over. I like French press but not the grit so much. I roast my own coffee so everything is always fresh. I've had this pot since I was about 13...
I use an old percolator that's been on every camping trip since I was a hippie hitch hiking up and down HWY 101 in the 70's. It's well broken in and always brews a great tasting pot of coffee. It's also a great pasta pot, built in strainer.
N Fork.jpg

I like the sound of all that...but my problem is normally when I'm taking my morning coffee I'm in a zombie like state and that all sounds nearly impossible to get right even when I'm awake!!
If that's the case then look at the jet boil. Super easy and fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom