Buying an 80 warning/advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone tell me if this has lockers?

vin# JT3HJ85J9T0136491

pm me if you find out

You'll have to check the sticker on the door for the K294 code. AFAIK the VIN is unrelated to the presence of lockers.

Hello All!!! I've been looking for an expedition vehicle...been drooling over at Expedition Portal...and have decided that an 80 or LX450 are the ticket. I get the part where everyone thinks the world of these vehicles and would not be afraid to build one to take around the world! I've found a 97 LX450 thats 400mi away and I have a few questions.
1. How many miles are good for a 97? This one has what looks like 94,117.
2. What is involved in the big 90K service? Who does this service? Cost?
3. From the pics he sent it looks like it has the FF and RR lockers. I'm asking him to send a pic of the data plate to verify.
4. I've gone to the Slee website and read about what to look at. Any more ideas what I can do from here before I travel 400mi to look it over?
5. There are a million reasons why I should, are there any reasons why I shouldn't buy this rig?

What concerns me about this LX450:
In his add he didn't have any pics or info on his/her LX. Just that it was a 97 LX 450 and 13K.
When asked to send pics, he/she took only pics of the drivers side and the interior(where I saw the FF/RR selector and mileage) The pics are very grainy and can tell he/she didn't wash the LX or vacuum it out. In fact no attempt at cleaning it up was made.
I'm thinking I'm not getting a grandpa/grandma driven truck. Or maybe he/she just don't know the way to sell something. It's got some scratches on the front left fender and the paint is worn off on the running board where it looks as if he/she drags his/her leg or something.
Is 13K a good buy? Or are these going for less now that it 2008?
Nada has it for 11250 low, 13200 clean, and 14350 for high.
Nada has a LC for 10475, 12300, and 13300.
KBB is within 300 bucks of the above numbers.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice! This is my first dive into a daily driver that I'm going to make into an expedition vehicle. If this thing really has lockers and is in good shape, I'm gonna freak out! It's also the closest 97 LX/LC to me which is great! There are just none of these things out there! And I was willing to travel! Again, thanks! Walt

PS: Sorry if you had to read this twice, I posted it in another thread too.

Hello All!!! I've been looking for an expedition vehicle...been drooling over at Expedition Portal...and have decided that an 80 or LX450 are the ticket. I get the part where everyone thinks the world of these vehicles and would not be afraid to build one to take around the world! I've found a 97 LX450 thats 400mi away and I have a few questions.
1. How many miles are good for a 97? This one has what looks like 94,117.
2. What is involved in the big 90K service? Who does this service? Cost?
3. From the pics he sent it looks like it has the FF and RR lockers. I'm asking him to send a pic of the data plate to verify.
4. I've gone to the Slee website and read about what to look at. Any more ideas what I can do from here before I travel 400mi to look it over?
5. There are a million reasons why I should, are there any reasons why I shouldn't buy this rig?

What concerns me about this LX450:
In his add he didn't have any pics or info on his/her LX. Just that it was a 97 LX 450 and 13K.
When asked to send pics, he/she took only pics of the drivers side and the interior(where I saw the FF/RR selector and mileage) The pics are very grainy and can tell he/she didn't wash the LX or vacuum it out. In fact no attempt at cleaning it up was made.
I'm thinking I'm not getting a grandpa/grandma driven truck. Or maybe he/she just don't know the way to sell something. It's got some scratches on the front left fender and the paint is worn off on the running board where it looks as if he/she drags his/her leg or something.
Is 13K a good buy? Or are these going for less now that it 2008?
Nada has it for 11250 low, 13200 clean, and 14350 for high.
Nada has a LC for 10475, 12300, and 13300.
KBB is within 300 bucks of the above numbers.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice! This is my first dive into a daily driver that I'm going to make into an expedition vehicle. If this thing really has lockers and is in good shape, I'm gonna freak out! It's also the closest 97 LX/LC to me which is great! There are just none of these things out there! And I was willing to travel! Again, thanks! Walt

PS: Sorry if you had to read this twice, I posted it in another thread too.

Well, I see no reason not to buy it.
$13K may be on the high side but it does have low miles, I would be concerned about the maint. history than mileage.
If they didnt make an effort to clean it, I would offer less, Its the principal.
Good luck

EDIT, Its within 400 miles of you in which direction? Hopefully West :)

Okay, here goes...I'm gonna try some pics...
Lexus int1.jpg
Lexus right1.jpg

The LX 450

Hay Brian! Yeah, it's West but the kicker is they moved out here from Chicago where they said they bought it from the first owner 2 months ago who had it leased till last year...is that possible??? Said all work was done at a Lexus dealer in Chicago. How do I check what was done? I read somewhere on here that Lexus takes copious notes and keeps all records of work done to their vehicles. Is there a way I can see what was done? I tried to put a pic of the data plate on here but I'm over my quota. But it does in fact read K294. So, factory lockers! And it was made in 2/97. In the pic of the right side, the rear door seems a little off or it isn't closed...I'm gonna have to ask him/her more questions. Also, he/she said that at higher speeds the rear end sways around noticeably...is this a normal thing for these??? I've not heard about this on the 80/450. I'd kinda like to know if the 90K service was done...oh yeah, what exactly IS that anyway? Thanks for the reply. I'm being a little anal I suppose, but I'm selling my '03 F150 SuperCrew and getting one of these and since it's going to be my daily driver I'd like to dig into it as much as I can. Again, thanks. Walt

90K service is nothing to be worried about, these don't have a timing belt so it is just fluids and checks. that truck looks worn from the pictures, and having come from chicago probably has rust problems. the price also seems very high to me, but I guess that is from the low miles. If you are limiting your search to 100K or less you are probably going to overspend. IMO you could find a rust free locked truck for 3/4 of what they are asking for this one with more miles but better maintenance. high miles aren't really as much of an issue with these as is proper maintenance. Also, you might want to read the cost of ownership thread. It seems that a lot of people have been whining about their trucks on here lately, b/c if you don't work on it yourself, it is $$$$$ and it is very hard to find a mechanic who knows how to work on these.

Todorado,

There are plenty of threads out there and probably some good info in the FAQs (which might be how you arrived at this thread ;)) but I'll add this info since it is a linked FAQ thread.

For FACTORY lockers, here are the FOUR things I suggest you do to verify if an 80/LX450 has them and that they work:
  1. Check for the magic dial either in person or via a close up photo of the area
    1. Rotary switch, immediately to the left of steering wheel
    2. Dial says "Diff Lock" on it with off, RR, and FR-RR positions/selections (see pic)
  2. Check the Data/VIN tag on the lower portion of the Driver's door either in person or via a close up photo of it (see pic)
    1. K292 = NON locking axles (from factory)
    2. K294 = Locking axles (from factory)
  3. Check the axles for the locker actuators either in person or via a close up photo (see earlier post)
  4. VERIFY that the lockers work (hopefully in person)
    1. Find a dirt/gravel/etc. road or area
    2. Put the 80 in park or neutral
    3. Shift the center diff (tcase) into Low
    4. Verify the CDL engaged and the ABS is off (may have to drive forward a little)
      1. CDL icon should light - below the left side of the tach
      2. ABS icon should light - below the temp gauge
    5. Turn the magic dial to lock the axles - Either one at a time or both at once
      1. Diff lock icons on the dash should light - right side, below the speedometer, to the left of the "Open door" indicator
      2. Icons should blink while the lockers are trying to engage. They will light steadily when engaged
      3. If lockers don't engage, try some SLOW tight turns or figure 8s
      4. If the lockers STILL won't engage (sometimes it can take awhile if they aren't 'exercised' regularly) then that could be an expensive fix - sometimes they just need to be cleaned up and other times the entire actuator needs to be replaced ($$$)
Of course there are always exceptions to the above. It is possible that a rig came locked from the factory and then had parts removed (as mentioned above) but that rig won't pass test #4. On the other side, it IS possible to swap factory locking axles into an originally non-locked rig and the only difference is that the tag won't reflect that (test #2). And of course there is always the aftermarket locker mod (ARB etc)

:cheers:

#4 is as important as the truck having lockers at all. i have a 97 and so does landtank, both of us had a siezed locker, mine was the front, his was the rear. digging into these to fix them is no easy task and the actuators are rare used and a fortune new! make sure its working.

Just found this forum. It's great so far. I bought a 97 three weeks ago with 74k miles. It has lockers. I confirmed everything except the K294 on the door tag. I didn't know about that until today and have to wait to get home to check. I also have a red light/button to the left of the mirror adjustment. Does anyone know what this is?

Just found this forum. It's great so far. I bought a 97 three weeks ago with 74k miles. It has lockers. I confirmed everything except the K294 on the door tag. I didn't know about that until today and have to wait to get home to check. I also have a red light/button to the left of the mirror adjustment. Does anyone know what this is?

Kloon,
If both axles lock as described in 4-5-2 above, then don't worry too much about the K294. That will tell you if the vehicle was retrofitted or factory equipped and the odds are low that they would be retrofitted on an otherwise stock vehicle.

The red light/button is part of the security system. Please start another thread if you have further questions on the security system. It is also customary for new 80-section members to start a thread to introduce themselves and their vehicle. Be prepared to have pics ready.

-B-

No lockers - Now what?

OK, so I just purchased this '92 FJ80 Land Cruiser. Got it cheap, it runs, it has some leaks but is in overall good condition with 163,000 miles...

No lockers and thanks to this AWESOME thread about how to know and what to look for. But for those of us just getting in and have no lockers, what are the options? Factory | ARB's ??? Can someone point us in/to threads of the right direction please?

2689509548_25b96d4932.jpg

Here is the new addition, a 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser! While I have always loved these trucks, especially the 50/55 and 70-models, I never thought I personally would ever be in the position to have an 80-Series! It was out of my dream's reach before and now I have one!!! WOW!!! So, this is going to be a fun project!!! This is the Family-ADV machine as I can't fit the whole family on the KTM 950ADV.

Welcome to the 80 world. FYI, the 92 model in the US never had a locker option - a feature that started in 93 with the larger twincam engine, 4 wheel discs, ABS, full floater rear axle, 16" wheels, leather, etc. Look in the FAQ area and you'll find a nice guide year by year of the 80s evolution.

But for those of us just getting in and have no lockers, what are the options? Factory | ARB's ??? Can someone point us in/to threads of the right direction please?

For 91-92 FJ80s, the options are pretty much just ARB lockers for selectable F&R. If you are new to off-roading you should start with the truck unlocked and learn the capabilities. Go with friends that can help you if needed. Then you can decide if you need selectable axle locks or if you you would be happy with an auto-locker. You can also decide if you will need F&R or just rear. I would NOT recommend an auto-locker in the front axle.

A properly installed set of ARB locks with a gear change will be in the $2,500 range so don't jump in if you don't need to. Swapping to factory axles will not be any cheaper and a lot more trouble on your 92. If you went the factory swap route you will need 16" wheels and tyres so add that to your budget.

-B-

I feel smug - basically ALL UK 80s have lockers, the only unlocked ones you find are direct imports from Japan (my "UK" car), which have LSD instead - there is some compensation though, as these imports also have the fridge/icebox, rear air conditioner, bronzed glass, and a much more sensible spare tyre position (swing our rear carier).

Beowulf,

Thanks for the info and sounds like I will be going the ARB in the rear for starters.

I had a '85 Toyota all "pre-runner" done-up with wider a-arm's and locked daily with a LockRight rear end.

And then I got into rally cars and it has a "welded" front locker as no one made a front diff for this front wheel drive set up.
62664987_8721bf4e77.jpg

Plus, growing up in the woods of Alabama helps a lot too.

But this rock stuff is all new and not that I am looking to be a rock-hound, I do want to get around a bit. This is going to be my ADV-FJ80, yea, expedition-portal statud as the kids and dog do not fit on the back of the KTM 950ADV.

Thanks again for the directional input!!!

For 91-92 FJ80s, the options are pretty much just ARB lockers for selectable F&R. If you are new to off-roading you should start with the truck unlocked and learn the capabilities. Go with friends that can help you if needed. Then you can decide if you need selectable axle locks or if you you would be happy with an auto-locker. You can also decide if you will need F&R or just rear. I would NOT recommend an auto-locker in the front axle.

A properly installed set of ARB locks with a gear change will be in the $2,500 range so don't jump in if you don't need to. Swapping to factory axles will not be any cheaper and a lot more trouble on your 92. If you went the factory swap route you will need 16" wheels and tyres so add that to your budget.

-B-

The first LC I looked at, I asked the guy before getting into it if it had lockers, "oh sure it does, why don't you take it for a drive" Opening the drivers door I see no dial of course. After asking him again he's like "oh yea I thought you meant something else." Sure you did guy. I bought it anyway because it was super clean and runs great, but now I found one with lockers. Any advantage to keeping one without lockers?

After asking him again he's like "oh yea I thought you meant something else." Sure you did guy.

Asking a non-enthusiast PO or used car salesman if a vehicle has "lockers" is a dumb question. "Lockers" is a term nobody will understand.

-B-

Asking a non-enthusiast PO or used car salesman if a vehicle has "lockers" is a dumb question. "Lockers" is a term nobody will understand.

-B-

Well I was a little more specific in my question to him than that, but I get your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom