Buying an 80 advice needed please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have found a 1994 green triple locked truck. Check engine light is on, didn’t get a code. Speedo isn’t working. Underside is what. I really want advice on. Axles and frame have been painted. Seem solid. biggest issue is when I engage the lockers the dash light just keeps blinking. They aren’t working. What do you think the truck is worth? Interior is very clean. Motor has some rusted bolts, valve cover has the white moisture dots from sitting outside. Wheels have been spray painted silver. It drive good. Had some vibrations, but I think that is the crappy tires. I have attached pictures.

car fax shows it’s been in MD all of its life. Came to Georgia last year.

would love your opinion on price.

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

IMG_4104.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg

IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4097.jpeg

Last edited:
The paint is obviously covering some rust. How much would be hard to say. What's the location?

The lift and associated hardware looks brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the source of the vibrations.

Is it a US FZ or an import?

It's rusty !!
Lockers only work if your in low, or if it has a center lock switch. shift it into low the center lock light should flash then go solid. If you get a solid light then try the lockers. Same thing lights should flash and then go solid if there working.

How much are they asking ?

The paint is obviously covering some rust. How much would be hard to say. What's the location?

The lift and associated hardware looks brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the source of the vibrations.

Is it a US FZ or an import?
Car fax shows US delivered 93 to Toyota dealership in MD. It’s A US truck

located in Alabama

It's rusty !!
Lockers only work if your in low, or if it has a center lock switch. shift it into low the center lock light should flash then go solid. If you get a solid light then try the lockers. Same thing lights should flash and then go solid if there working.

How much are they asking ?
Correct couldn’t get it to work. He asking me to make an offer. What do you think it’s worth? Maybe too much rust?

The white moisture dots are from salt !!
Theirs to much rust for me, but I'm a west Coaster and biased.
You can click on my build thread and on the first page see what I payed for the same locked truck ;) zero rust !

You can click on my build thread and on the first page see what I payed for the same locked truck ;) zero rust !

You are correct on the white dots!! 100%. So guess this is a pass? is there a price that makes it worth it? Or do I need to walk? missing that cruiser in SC has been a nightmare.

I think it is what it is. So, it depends on what you really want to do with the truck and are you going to go through it and do the work yourself. This will never be one to make a long term plan with and invest a much in, but it runs. Mileage is unknown. It’s at least somewhat rusty. Verify that it actually has lockers (whether working or not). It has new looking suspension parts. Worst case probably worth $2K as a parts truck. Not worth the trouble for most I’d guess.

I think it is what it is. So, it depends on what you really want to do with the truck and are you going to go through it and do the work yourself. This will never be one to make a long term plan with and invest a much in, but it runs. Mileage is unknown. It’s at least somewhat rusty. Verify that it actually has lockers (whether working or not). It has new looking suspension parts. Worst case probably worth $2K as a parts truck. Not worth the trouble for most I’d guess.
Great point. 235k miles. So this one is a walk away truck?

I don't care what the price is. I wouldn't for a moment consider that to purchase. Plenty of good, clean 80's with honest ownership and representation available.Keep looking.

It scares me when they are attempting to cover up trouble spots. The rust alone is a no go for me but, what else is there that they tried to hide?

^^^What I'm thinking.

Just echoing the agrees here. If you bought it for $5k, you would probably need another $5k to work the problems out. Then you still would have a rust bucket. You'll find one just keep looking. The classifieds here is where I found mine.

The "paint" almost looks more like a protective coating, did the seller mention what was used on the undercarriage and axles?? Just flat black rattle can or something else??

For rust, check the bottom of the front fenders (underneath), the rear quarter panels (you can look inside the quarter panels by loosening the cargo area side panels and taking some photos). Check the rocker panels especially the rear area hidden by the running boards and rubber end cap thingy, and then the wheel wells.

It doesn't appear to have a rear dust/wind deflector on the hatch, but if it does check closely where the mounts meet the hatch sheet metal.

Check the inside bottom edge/lip of all the doors where the weather strip is located and the underside of the hood edge/lip, especially the inside nose of the hood.

IMHO I don't think it's a goner, yet.

Post up some photos of the engine bay.

Post #3 picture 5,8 & 9 tell it all it's a goner !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom