Buying an 80 warning/advice (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lockers:D:

picture-109.jpg

No Lockers:crybaby::

111.jpg
old post but good info.

anyone able to repost these images?

Just picked up a supposed to be triple locked 95 80 series. Strange bird though. K292 in the door. Cdl with 7 pin mod done. Diff control module with what appears to be all the correct wiring in passenger kick panel. Rear diff locker works now that I cleaned it all up. No front locker! And I don't see any harness hanging around where there may have ever been one. Puzzled

Just picked up a supposed to be triple locked 95 80 series. Strange bird though. K292 in the door. Cdl with 7 pin mod done. Diff control module with what appears to be all the correct wiring in passenger kick panel. Rear diff locker works now that I cleaned it all up. No front locker! And I don't see any harness hanging around where there may have ever been one. Puzzled
Is the actuator present on the front axle? Maybe the front axle was swapped out for one reason or another. I suspect some subset of buyers just wants "triple locked" and has no real good use for them, see the switch on the dash and call it good. Maybe that was the case with your prior owner?

Is the actuator present on the front axle? Maybe the front axle was swapped out for one reason or another. I suspect some subset of buyers just wants "triple locked" and has no real good use for them, see the switch on the dash and call it good. Maybe that was the case with your prior owner?
No actuator on front axle. I looked it over carefully and can't tell if front has been swapped out. It's just strange to me because everything appears factory. PO stated that he had the lockers engaged last winter. Bs. I'm ok with only a rear locker , but it just seems odd that it's labeled k292.

K292 in the door.
This post says K292 is non-locked from the factory:

Maybe they added the rear locker later in life?

Kinda wondering if the doors weren't added...haha
My guess would be someone put a factory locking rear in and put the required bits and pieces to make it work (nothing wrong with this). Does your dial have just the rear setting or do you have both front and rear?

The 100 series and some 4runners (not sure about the sequoia) came with a factory rear and the switch would only show the rear position.

Front and rear. Dash lights and all. Diff module relays only click when rear is engaged by the switch. All the necessary electrical is there and it's strange because it all appears factory. Not rigged at all.

I'm not aware of frame Vin...
Frame VIN is on dash, viewable thru windshield. Or that too could have been swapped.
It's what I'd have done for the sale.
K292 is the non-locked code, but many have swapped in locked axles from a K294.
The wring harness, at least for the lock switch is in all models from '93 up.
Sounds like a bit of truth stretching from the PO. But if you're seeing the relevant hardware on the outside, odds are good that you too could in time get the locks working. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom