Advice on Buying a 92....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, I previously had a 94 that I loved but totaled it on the way to deer camp a few years back. Been in a Tacoma since, but came upon a 92 near me that i am going to try to buy. I worked on the 94 enough to be pretty familiar with it. Are there major differences between the two years, besides the engine? Anything in paticular I need to be looking for when I go check it out, other than the usual stuff.

It has 265,000 miles on it. Were the earlier engines known to get the into the 400K mile range like the later models?

Thanks!

Hey All, I previously had a 94 that I loved but totaled it on the way to deer camp a few years back. Been in a Tacoma since, but came upon a 92 near me that i am going to try to buy. I worked on the 94 enough to be pretty familiar with it. Are there major differences between the two years, besides the engine? Anything in paticular I need to be looking for when I go check it out, other than the usual stuff.

It has 265,000 miles on it. Were the earlier engines known to get the into the 400K mile range like the later models?

Thanks!
Oh yeah, to name a few. Semi-float rear axle, drum rear brakes, 15" rims stock, exhaust exits engine cavity on driver's side, so aftermarket sliders are different. 3FE engine was similar to late 60 series, doesn't have the aluminum head so it survives mild overheats better. Main battery on passenger side. Transfer case does not have the VC and slightly different transmission. Still a damn good truck with good possibilities, especially if it's been well cared for.

It’s slow as crap.

Great otherwise.

Not any slower than any rigs on 37s or 40s. if you are geared properly and have a healthy engine. There are alot of usable hp and tq for these engines and the numbers do not suggest otherwise. I found my 3FE struggles more on mild grade between 4-7% on a 65mph speed limit where my 2nd gear will go 50mph and my 3rd struggles to hold RPM below the power band @ 65mph, but other than those particular condition, it will do 70-75 and 50- 60 pulling grade. Pretty impressed with the 150hp motor @ 250k miles and weight in about 6800lbs on 37s.

Last edited:
I think they are really great, especially with stock tires. They are slower, for sure, but not tremendously slow. If you want to keep up with say California highway traffic, it's not going to be great, but nor is a FZJ80.

I'm not sure if the 3FE or 1FZ has a better reputation. I think the 3FE, especially desmogged, is easier to work on. The 1FZ is more likely to need head gaskets (less likely without EGR, so I hear) and valve stem seals. That said, both are good motors. 3FE is just milder mannered and simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom