Bringing home a 60, untested... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I just purchased my second Landcruiser. This one is an 86 FJ60. The only problem is that I need to get it home.

Its in the Seattle area and I'll be coming from Omaha. I'm still looking at shipping options, but I'm also weighing the opportunity to fly out and bring it back myself.

Think I should do it? It would mean crossing the mountains in january and I'm really not sure what road conditions would be like. I'm told that I'd have better luck taking I-90 vs I-80.

The 60 is pretty much bone stock and has about 180k miles on it. I have a friend up there and he's test driven it for me (also did the buying, temp storage) and according to him, its in sound condition.

Any suggestions on what I should pick up if I decide to drive back? Extra fluids & jumper cables are a given.

Thanks!

IMG_20131221_133226_zps04f031b8.jpg

Last edited:
Would be cheaper to ship it! I figure you'd spend at least $500 on gas + the plane ticket. I suppose you're in it for the adventure? But I say pounding out miles on those 2 interstates isn't that much fun.

I've driven both I-90 and 80/84 in the winter, with snow on the ground, and slept in my truck every time. Long stretches of nothing in between, ie: Billings to Rapid City. Taking Hwy 12 across Montana is better road trip/slow trip traveling.

My pro tip would be to make sure the thermostat is working right and the top o-ring is seated right.

Last edited:
Plenty of emergency road supplies. Those are some lonely roads you're talking about driving in a 27 year old rig.
Maybe you could borrow some stuff from your friend up there and mail it back (Sleeping bag, blankets, tools, etc)

I'd luv to do that, especially if you haven't seen the country before, it would be awesome and you'll certainly get to know your truck, I always wanted to do it here in Aus but could never get enough time off work

Spud's airfare might be a bit much for a 2-day road trip. ;)

OMA to SEA is surprisingly affordable right now. $125 one-way-direct through Alaska airlines.

Nah I'm in, but only if I can drive:steer:

when I bought mine back in Oct we did the drive from orange county CA up to Seattle...it was great. Spent a couple of days in Zion and Bryce Canyon. If you can do it over a decent amount of time (ie 4 days) get out and see the country...it would be cheaper to ship as you'll get about 12mi/gal. And make sure you have AAA.

If you come up this way give some warning...could meet up with you for pint in my '40...or if I have my '60 put back together. :)

Congrats on the new rig!

If it were summer, I'd make a trip of it. But being winter, and seeing how it will very likely cost more to fly and drive back than to ship, I would ship it home. You'll have a long future of adventures in your new cruiser. Driving an unknown / untested rig on a long trip in the middle of winter sounds too adventurous for me. Ship it.

Hi, I agree shipping costs less, but are you buying a cruiser because it will save you money ? I usually go get mine , enjoyed every trip and I'm building up great memories . Mike

Think you have gotten the whole gammet of answers.
In Oct of 2012 my wife and I flew out to SLC, UT to pick up my cruiser and drove the 500+ miles back to Carson City over two days. It was a great experience to get to know the truck and I was prepared with cellphone, AAA and mud members phone numbers should something happen on the way home.

I have to say that seeing the country (a trek we have done several times) at a max speed of 65mph is something to behold. We both immensely enjoyed driving back in the truck, listening to good music, seeing different things that we normally would be flying by at 80mph. It truly made for a whole different experience and something we both very much enjoyed. And the only problem that we had on the way home was that BeBe dieseled (at that time) when shut down. Other than that, there were ZERO issues!

You will be amazed at how well these trucks will fair. Go pick it up, plan your route well, contact Mudders on the way for rescue (should you need it), grab some water and oil for the drive and enjoy the ride!

Don't take a chance with balding tires. By a good set of rubber if you need to. Make sure the cig lighter works to charge your cell phone. AAA membership.
Enjoy the ride!

If it were summer, I'd make a trip of it. But being winter, and seeing how it will very likely cost more to fly and drive back than to ship, I would ship it home. You'll have a long future of adventures in your new cruiser. Driving an unknown / untested rig on a long trip in the middle of winter sounds too adventurous for me. Ship it.

^^^^

Question is do you want an adventure?

Driving alone?

Answer: Always be prepared!

Good luck looks like a clean 60!

I would pre-order a few output seals for the xfer case, and pinion seals for the diffs, and buy a gallon of motor oil and maybe some gear oil when you pick up the truck, and drive the thing home. You could have a great adventure. Bringing a few spare parts helps reduce the drama, even if you have to have a dealer or shop do a little work on the truck on the way home. Any shop can replace a seal, but getting the seal (in Timbuktu) can be the hard part. Recall that old trucks driven little tend to spring leaks when flogged on the highway for hours at a time. I second the motion on verifying that the tires are decent, or replacing them.

Everyone should have the memory of driving an FJ (of some sort, preferably older) across the US. And if the A/C doesn't work, you won't bake in the truck while driving it in the winter.

Steve

Order all the fluid and parts you might need for the trip (or replace ultimately, hoses belts etc) off of Amazon/Beno and have them delivered to seller's house.

Sounds bad ass, I think you'd regret not doing it.

Would be cheaper to ship it! I figure you'd spend at least $500 on gas + the plane ticket. I suppose you're in it for the adventure? But I say pounding out miles on those 2 interstates isn't that much fun. I've driven both I-90 and 80/84 in the winter, with snow on the ground, and slept in my truck every time. Long stretches of nothing in between, ie: Billings to Rapid City. Taking Hwy 12 across Montana is better road trip/slow trip traveling. My pro tip would be to make sure the thermostat is working right and the top o-ring is seated right.

Nothing to see? Hogwash. Best country anywhere says me, native of Sheridan, Wy. (Midway between Billings and Rapid City) Gods country, Drive with confidence I know I would!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom