bought a new 8274 for the front of my 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I started tearing into it and when I broke the upper and lower housing apart water poured out! Not a lick of gear oil in it, just water. Luckily, none of the gears were rusted a bit. I did find however that the needle bearing in the lower housing that holds the lower shaft in place was completely gone. This caused some of the teeth on the main gear to get eaten a little bit, but I think it will still be ok. I did order a brake rebuild kit, lower rebuild kit, and new solenoid cover from dealers truck equipment. I found a local golf cart supply company and bought some continous duty solenoids that look very similar to the ones in the solenoid pack on my 8274. I'm going to try them out and see what happens. I also bought a new motor from DB Electrical because my motor looked like it had been submerged and on its last leg.

The entire thing is disassembled and I am painting it right now. I'm waiting on my motor and need to place another order for a new needle bearing (8356), plastic endcap (7582), and 3 rubber electrical boots (2090).

Nick

I also bought a new motor from DB Electrical because my motor looked like it had been submerged and on its last leg.

Nick, I bought that same motor for mine and have been happy with it. It is made in China however. Has worked well for me so far, including some heavy winching in the bottom of Dark Canyon.

Nick, I bought that same motor for mine and have been happy with it. It is made in China however. Has worked well for me so far, including some heavy winching in the bottom of Dark Canyon.

Got my motor today and it looks like it will be good. I'm trying to find some solenoids to replace my 4 solenoids that are shot.

Nick

Got my motor today and it looks like it will be good. I'm trying to find some solenoids to replace my 4 solenoids that are shot.

Nick

I just bought my OEM solenoids from a Warn distributor - expensive, but you don't have to wonder if they'll work for sure or not.

I just bought my OEM solenoids from a Warn distributor - expensive, but you don't have to wonder if they'll work for sure or not.

Issue is that those are 2 80 amp solenoids in series, and the 8274 pulls a max of 275 amps. (warn 9000 winch pulls a max of 480 amps)

See an issue?

Issue is that those are 2 80 amp solenoids in series, and the 8274 pulls a max of 275 amps. (warn 9000 winch pulls a max of 480 amps)

See an issue?

I guess, though the first set worked well enough for 32 years until the terminals and buss bars became corroded. Who's solenoids do you use instead of Warn's for this application?

I guess, though the first set worked well enough for 32 years until the terminals and buss bars became corroded. Who's solenoids do you use instead of Warn's for this application?

That's the problem I'm running into. I called this guy 12voltguy after reading about his solenoids on pirate and he said I should use the solenoids from dbelectrical. They are 90amp but it seems hard to find anything higher than that. I tried to get some information on some of the albright contactors but know one seems to really know much about them.

Nick

ETA: The DBelectrical solenoids didn't work. I ended up ordering a new control pack for my 8274 w/ the new style warn solenoids. Works like a champ. Should have done this to start with.

Last edited:
As i said earlier in this thread: a Tyco EV200 is around $130, and rated to 500 amps.

I run an Albright solenoid, but feel its undersized for the job. IMHO, all electrical on the winch should be rated for its max current draw (450-480 amps in most cases)

Edit: The albright solenoid would be a better choice for an 8274, as it only draws about 250 amps.

And I doubt the first set had any kind of heavy use in the first 38 years.

Last edited:
Issue is that those are 2 80 amp solenoids in series, and the 8274 pulls a max of 275 amps.

You should spend some time at WARNs website.

8274 will pull more than 275 amps at 8K#'s.

:meh:

You should spend some time at WARNs website.

8274 will pull more than 275 amps at 8K#'s.

:meh:

Your right, I was looking at the 24v version.

Its 450 amps. Just like most other warn winches.

Got it rebuilt. I bought a new motor, new solenoids, brake rebuild kit, lower rebuild kit, new needle bearing, new solenoid cover, installed drain and fill plug. I also ordered 100' Amsteel blue 3/8" rope with a Viking Saftey Thimble to put on it as well as a hawse aluminum fairlead. That should be here in a couple days. I also ordered some rocker switches from OTRATTW for my in-cab remote. I did take posers advice and did not use any grease to hold the bearings in place when reinstalling the brake. I bought some rare earth magnets off ebay and used those to help w/ the bearings. Now I need to start working on fabing up the mount for the front bumper to install this sucker!

2010-09-27_21-35-40_911.jpg

2010-09-27_21-35-53_585.jpg

2010-09-27_21-36-18_77.jpg

2010-09-27_21-36-02_718.jpg

Looks good Nick; better than mine!

I've run into a problem w/ the motor. It seems like it is binding up when I tighten the two end bolts down on the end of the motor cap. Its almost like the armature nub that sticks out into the brass bushing in that end cap is too long and when it is tightened down, it creates to much friction. I've tried smoothing it out w/ 800 grit sandpaper, but no go. I've made sure the bearing on the other end of the armature that fits into the upper housing is seated properly and that seems fine. Don't know if it is a manufacturing issue or what. I'm going to call DBelectrical tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Nick

Called DBelectrical today and told them about the issue. They didn't even hesitate and said we'll ship you out another one today. Had a UPS shipping email w/in about 20 minutes. Very good customer service.

I called them before I saw your reply and spoke w/ michael and got prices. I then called Dealers Truck Equip in Arkansas and their prices where significantly less for the same rebuild kits.

I ordered:

Lower Housing Rebuild Kit - 29.30
Brake Rebuild Kit -69.49
New Solinoid Cover - 35.46

No Tax. Shipping was about 10 bucks.

Called Warn and they are shipping me a new sticker set for my winch for free.

Nick

Hey Nick,

I need to replace one of the end plates (round end, post #31, bottom picture) that attach the winch to the bumper. Do you know the part #?

Thanks,
Charles

Hey Nick,

I need to replace one of the end plates (round end, post #31, bottom picture) that attach the winch to the bumper. Do you know the part #?

Thanks,
Charles

I don't, but if you call:
Dealers Truck Supply
6601 I-30
Little Rock, AR 72209
800-568-9006

and ask for Warn Replacement parts (I think the guys name is Reggie) and describe what you need, they can get it. They have some of the best prices I have found. Either that or you can call Warn directly @ 1.800.543.9276 and describe the part to them you need and they will give you the part number, then you can either look for it online or call dealers truck supply w/ the part number and buy it from them. I had to do that for one of my parts w/ Warn and then called Dealers Truck Supply and bought it from them.

Hope this helps.
Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom