Custom 8274 winch hitch receiver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for some input on if this makes sense from a safety standpoint and if it would even work.

I’ve started to take a 1 ton diesel to the mountains lately for hunting and camping while I’m other truck is a work in progress. The diesel isn’t really set up for off tossing so it’s nothing more than forest service roads that are somewhat maintained.

The truck in question is a 2002 F-350 CCLB that weights in at 8600 lbs with a ranch hand front bumper with 2x2 recover tube in it, the winches in question are an 8274 or a 9.5ti as I already have them and don’t want to spend the money on a third winch, if the truck is stuck it’ll be snatch blocked back to it to help with the weight of the truck.

Now onto the project, I have an old 8274 front bumper that was welded onto my 84 pickup, this thing has been through two wrecks and isn’t going back on. My plane is to cut everything off but the angled bracing and the winch mount area and add some 2” solid hitch bar. The hitch pins I use are rated for up to 30k, the bumper is bolted on with all grade 8 hardware. Does anyone see any potential issues with this setup? Will I need some gussets between the hitch bar and the flat plate it is on to add some structural stability during side loading?

I haven’t order anything yet so there isn’t a mock up, I didn’t want to order stuff and have the project be a flop.

Old front bumper
IMG_2961.jpeg

Hitch Bar
IMG_2964.png

I would build it lighter. Material just where you need it and a tube in the hitch, not solid.

8274 is not light.

I have essentially the same truck. It's real easy to get it stuck offroad.

I’ve also got a 9.5ti I can use. This is more so I have a winch I can install for going camping or into the mountains that’s not permanent.

I did talk to Ranch Hand and the hitch can take 20,000 pounds straight pull, has a receiver capacity of 300 lbs and supports up to a 9,500 lb winch.

Edited to add: both winches need new line, I’ll be going with synthetic instead of wire cable.

Last edited:
Went ahead and cut off some of the extra metal that’s messed up to give a better idea of what will be the actual winch mount. I fully understand that winch mount winches suck. This truck just don’t see hard core off-roading to justify another new bumper for a winch.

IMG_3038.jpeg

So continuing with this just to see, I got the plate finished up today. Ground off everything that wasn’t needed and also ground off the rebar that was welded to the front to try and straight it from the first wreck. Almost ate a cut off wheel for lunch but thankfully caught it after it chipped.

For fun I’ve done some roughy weight calculations, the current mount plus hitch bar is 38 lbs and an 8274 with synthetic rope according to the internet is roughly 55 lbs. A 9.5ti with synthetic rope weights in at 70.8 lbs and the cradle is an additional 26 lbs So:

8274 + home brew receiver mount = 93 lbs

9.5ti + Cradle = 96.8lbs

Either one is heavy, but if I have to choose a winch to get a full sized truck out it’s going to be the 8274.

71908544762__DCF27552-5367-46C6-AED8-7804291C4839.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom