Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those poor kids.

Mike, If you could do it all over again, would you have gutted the expense of new 37s and a more conventional 17" beadlock?
I am going to be looking at getting some new feet for my rig coming up (I know i've said this a million times) and want to hear first hand what you would do. I just bought an old style 37" MT/R from a guy on craigs today for a spare, so I will only need to get 4 new ones.

it's a tough call McGuire. I can get military tires and wheels for cheap all day long. Yes you occasionally get the ones that crack or have dry rot. But if you get a good set, they are great. I've seen them go thru hell and back (even the MTs which have weak side walls). As far as the humvee 16.5 in wheel, it's an awkward size, not sure why the military went with it, but if I bash/scratch or dent the wheels, I won't cry over them. I would just replace the part that needs replacing.
honestly my only gripe is how hard it is for me to split the rims and separate the tires. I'm older than you are so my age is beginning to catch up with me and my hand doesn't work/grip like it used to. I would have zero regrets if I waited a week to find these run flats and installed them then added the balancing beads.

Let me know how the MTRs hold up, I think that will be my next set of shoes. I think the math works out to where you can buy 3 or 4 military tires for a 16.5 in wheel for the price of a brand new tire that fits a 17in. wheel.

Awesome, thanks for the info Mike. And will do, I found a pretty good website that has them a little cheaper than Discount ($350 each).

On a side note, It looks like I am going to stay in Tx instead of moving up to CO, so we will still get to wheel in the future! Oh and you are gonna want to swing by our shop sometime this summer... I have some pretty cool stuff planned for my rig.:cool:

That sucks about Colorado, but good news for us to go wheeling. See if your schedule opened up for PINS. Will definitely try and swing by your shop. I still have a list of things I want and can probably borrow from your ideas as well.

Here's what should be getting Wednesday. 4 corners for $100. I am pleased.
1430186081553.jpg

1430186100449.jpg

The wheels are an 8 lug pattern so might sell them or keep for parts. We'll see

How much lighter are the magnesium inserts compared to what you have?

That sucks about Colorado, but good news for us to go wheeling. See if your schedule opened up for PINS. Will definitely try and swing by your shop. I still have a list of things I want and can probably borrow from your ideas as well.

Ya a few variables changed, the main one being that my girlfriend got accepted and is going to West Point. It will happen eventually though, I really want to explore the Rockies in my 60!

When is PINS again? My summer is pretty full since my gf is leaving on the 28th of June.

And your welcome by anytime! If you get tired of dealing with the welding guys at ACC, I got you covered.

I'm interested to see how much easier the mag runflats are to install than the rubber runflats. Mind taking some pictures of the process?

I'm interested to see how much easier the mag runflats are to install than the rubber runflats. Mind taking some pictures of the process?
No worries Johnny, I'm interested to see that as well. I failed to get the rubber run flats in there by myself, but this looks like it could be a one man job.

Ok picked up the runflats and the wheels. I'm pleasantly surprised how light the magnesium inserts are. I don't have a scale right now but they feel lighter than the rubber ones.

On my way home I decided to get Big Red inspected. Somehow it passed.

Inspection poser pic.
1430344712846.jpg

Heres some tire pics. I won't be able to start tonight, have to be somewhere in an hour. Tomorrow I'll be out of town so hopefully this weekend.

1430344826285.jpg

1430344845767.jpg

The beadlocks are not fully tightened. I'll take more detailed pics when I start swapping them.

Last edited:
Just curious, what kind of mileage could you get out of a set of runflat like that? Say you popped 2 tires in the middle of Moab but only had the one spare. Are they enough to make it back home (Texas in your case) or just limp to the nearest service station? How would they handle on obstacles between you and your destination such as rocks and steep hills if in the event you were forced to use them? Have you ever had to use them? Sorry for all the questions, I just thing runflats are really interesting and I don't think I've seen another rig on this forum that has them (at least not in the 100 section where I'm from). Anyway, sweet ride!:beer:

Just curious, what kind of mileage could you get out of a set of runflat like that? Say you popped 2 tires in the middle of Moab but only had the one spare. Are they enough to make it back home (Texas in your case) or just limp to the nearest service station? How would they handle on obstacles between you and your destination such as rocks and steep hills if in the event you were forced to use them? Have you ever had to use them? Sorry for all the questions, I just thing runflats are really interesting and I don't think I've seen another rig on this forum that has them (at least not in the 100 section where I'm from). Anyway, sweet ride!:beer:

I think the rule is they can go 50 miles at 50mph. That may just be the rubber ones, not sure if the magnesium ones go for longer. It will depend on the kind of puncture you have, if the tire shreds they really have no grip what so ever. In the military it's to get you out of harms way, for my purposes it's to keep me safe on the highway. I'll post up more as i use them and see how they are.
on a side note i noticed they form a double beadlock (inside and outside of the bead).

EDIT: yes all our humvees in Iraq had them. we've had a few punctures but we were able to get back. Don't get me wrong you'll feel it, and it will pull, but it's better than nothing.

Did 630 miles today in a prius. Got home late and decided to install at least one run flat because I'm ADD.
Here's the quick and dirty, if anyone needs clarification let me know, I'm planning to finish the rest this weekend so there will be more opportunities for better pictures.

This was way easier than the rubber run flats.
Careful not to lose the beads I put in last week.
1430448591644.jpg

Install the first half.
1430448626766.jpg

Then the second one and bolt them together. Takes 4 bolts per tire.
1430448656346.jpg

Line it up
1430448708099.jpg

Bolt the rim back on.
1430448733132.jpg

Any questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom