Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are three components to .....

I just converted to manual windows and have a few of those black relays (new) in a box I'll send you if you want them.

Thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on it if this thing needs to be overhauled.

in keeping up with my OCD, I'm thinking of exhaust wrapping my inner cooler pipes just to keep the engine heat away as much as possible.

So my window crapped out again, good thing is stuck in the closed position.
Had some free time before the storm so I decided to see what benefits there are by wrapping the turbo pipes from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Then I sprayed it with high temp silicone paint. After that I wrapped the AC lines better.

1428539288887.jpg

1428539307854.jpg

1428539333269.jpg

I'll tidy it up better when the weather gets better. I sprayed the entire tubes but forgot to take pictures

So my window crapped out again, good thing is stuck in the closed position.
Had some free time before the storm so I decided to see what benefits there are by wrapping the turbo pipes from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Then I sprayed it with high temp silicone paint. After that I wrapped the AC lines better.

View attachment 1058429

View attachment 1058430

View attachment 1058431

I'll tidy it up better when the weather gets better. I sprayed the entire tubes but forgot to take pictures
Storm? Must of not got to me yet.

Well. It got dark and it got a few big drops. When I packed it in for the day, it stopped. But it's looking like it wants to start again .

Yeah, it was a bust here. No rain at all. I started working on the pig and stopped thinking it was going to pour.

Looking to make a base camp with the RTT?

Yeah, would like to take the rtt and the kayak. Also for trips like round up, it would be nice to not have the rtt on the roof so I can wheel.

Where you been Mike?? 37s, SOA... I have a build thread in trailers section... just need to finish this one...

J
View attachment 1059266 View attachment 1059267
View attachment 1059268

I knew you were making one, I just thought it was for you. Wonder what the final weight and carrying capacity will be on that. I'm looking for something like a 416, not too heavy, but enough to do what i want it to do. If you go heavy then it's really gonna suck on the highway.

Got this in the mail today.
1428704614515.jpg

Figured I don't want to spend another summer sweating like last year. So every bit is gonna help. My AC lines run near the turbo, so this should help a bit. It's not exactly a snug fit, but it will do the job.

1428704637509.jpg

Yeah, would like to take the rtt and the kayak. Also for trips like round up, it would be nice to not have the rtt on the roof so I can wheel.

I knew you were making one, I just thought it was for you. Wonder what the final weight and carrying capacity will be on that. I'm looking for something like a 416, not too heavy, but enough to do what i want it to do. If you go heavy then it's really gonna suck on the highway.

This one will probably be lighter than a 416, but wider... see way too many 416s on their sides. Springs are FJ60 OME medium fronts. Axle and spindle set-up is 3500# rating. I'll build whatever whenever.. Sell this one if you or anyone is interested.. I even have some solar panels and AGM batteries to boot with sun chargers too... HA!

J

I got one more class to pay for then I'm done studying on my own dime. I'm saving up for lockers, a trailer and possibly a new house since she'll probably kick me out for buying too many toys :D. But if its lighter and wider then I may be game by summer.

The 416 IIRC has an offroad capacity of 500# and highway of 650-700#s.. The OME's sport the 2F and any contributing/relative weight like a pro...

Mine weighs approx. 620#s skinned out +/- 25#s (doing the math on material and component weights, that includes the 37s and rims) I'll have to measure width.. Much wider than the 416.

I'll get you dimensions to compare to the below...

J

trailerspecs1.jpg

Last edited:
You bringing the kayak to the beach?
not this trip. I'm just saying in general I'd like to experience the outdoors fully.

edit :the turbo blanket seems to be working great. just gives off a minor cloth burning smell

Last edited:
Phoenician, not sure if it has been brought up before, but is that your cooling fan just forward of your upper radiator hose? If so, have you thought of either a custom fan shroud or a fan spacer? You are loosing a ton of cooling capacity and adding a lot of recirc under the hood. Having that fan atleast 50/50 in the shroud would help the engine coolant and charge air temps, maybe make the water/ meth not even necessary.

-Trevor

When we were fist doing the swap we wondered if the toyota shroud would be able to cool the engine at idle. I've not had an issue with it it usually sits at 190* unless I'm doing 70 with the AC on, then it hits 200 or 205. So to answer your question, yes that's the fan, and no, no one has brought it up. Thanks for the idea, it's worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom