Best way to fill roof rack holes? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn't realize I never posted what I ended up doing. I use the plastic plugs with some HD sealer underneath. And painted over the plugs. Looked great, very unobtrusive, can't see them from the ground. Worked out fine, but now the paint is slowly coming off. Could do it over again, 2 hrs work, or leave them as is.
If you go the glued plug way, you should check them frequently during the rainy season cuz a leak could damage the headliner. I may still go with the rubber washer and rivnuts later on.

It has held up good for a couple years with no leaks.
DSC03264.jpg

I like the Idahodoug idea, plastic plugs and silicone. I have seen the larger plastic plugs under dashboards of some cars holding up sound deadening felt/carpet, they are quite flush as well. And if you want to be really cool why not look under the bonnet of a Discovery? The plugs that hold on the sound deadening are quite wide across the head so easy to get plenty of surfacr area for sealer but again pretty flush and you could touch them up with a paint stick.

regards

Dave

my plugs are fine still.

Have you checked that these are the proper size for the LC?

Those plugs are actually a good idea. You can find grommets and expansion plugs at your local auto parts store. It wouldn't be hard to make them yourself.

my plastic plugs with sealant are holding great

Removed roof rack due to rust, one bolt was frozen, pulled it out. "Temporarily" taped over.

If I remove the headliner can I get at the underside of this, or is there even more involved? :( I am concerned about rust underneath the roof.

Recommendations other than a >$1500 trip to a body shop? I don't mind rustoleum, linex or similar solutions after the rust is cleared off, but first I need to get it cleaned up on the outside and, I fear, the inside.

Also, recommendations on how to cover this over temporarily against rain? Summer has passed and rain clouds are on the horizon. I used clear tape before in order to be able to observe whether there was any condensation, which did occur, and the tape quickly deteriorated. I just don't want any leaks before it is fixed.

Edit: I'm in the San Jose/Sunnyvale, CA, area if anyone has a body shop to recommend. Please PM such "off topic" details, thanks.

Ouch:
DSC_6638ss.jpg

Last edited:
I wanna get mine welded up and little rust cleaned up.. Guess I will get it done whenever I can raise the funds for a paint job.. Oh and the drivers side holes from flare removal.. Gonna be expensive trip to the paint booth

Just wish I could weld.. Guess I could buy a hood or something to practice on..

I removed my racks over the summer due to low garage in new house. Now winter's coming and i'll need to drive everyday.

Had no rust problems so just holes.

Grinded down to bare metal.

Tried JB Weld... Holes too big.

Tried metal epoxy putty... ditto...

Think I'm going to use pop rivets & JB weld around the edges (stainless rivets bonded with JB weld)
Then I'm going to bondo and sand over the 'bump' and repaint.

Done.

Let me know if I shouldn't do this for any reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom