Front Runner Roof Rack for RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi There:

I'm thinking about adding a rooftop tent to my '93. I'm still running the OEM roof rack so planning to upgrade to a gutter rack/stronger cross bars to handle the extra load as well. I'm trying not to spend a boat load so steering away from $1K+ platform racks. Curious if anyone has experience with Front Runner Dometic's Load Bar Kit / Gutter Mount.

Link to product: https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...Z99vQXPExpZBXWGJQzkomix-wkEjwlmAe4Asn8MMwVZTo

I've never heard of Front Runner so curious if anyone has experience with them. Obviously a much better price point at $367 vs a platform. Their rep was quick to reply that the system is rated at 660lbs+ static / 220lbs dynamic, so believe it should be sufficient for a load with the tent + 2 people.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Front Runner is a well know company when it comes to roof racks and various gear. The 2 crossbar rack is great for a RTT. I run 2 bars on my smaller RTT and 3 bars with my larger RTT. The only thing I don’t love about the rack is that it has no locking hardware to mount the rack to the roof. If security is a concern you may want to look at a different option.
IMG_7091.png

Front Runner is a well know company when it comes to roof racks and various gear. The 2 crossbar rack is great for a RTT. I run 2 bars on my smaller RTT and 3 bars with my larger RTT. The only thing I don’t love about the rack is that it has no locking hardware to mount the rack to the roof. If security is a concern you may want to look at a different option. View attachment 3548177
Nice. Thanks so much for the info. Definitely seems like I’m on the right track with those bars. Do you happen to know the tent weights on your 2 bar vs 3 bar? I’m prally looking at a 180lb roofnest, so also trying to figure out the right support needed.

Nice looking rig by the way!

No prob. My shop I work for is a dealer for Front Runner so I’ve sold and used all variations of their rack on an 80. For your tent I’d go with the 3 bar setup. Be sure to buy their rubber trim that goes into the track on the crossbar and put it on the front bar top and bottom so you don’t get any whistling. I also add that rubber in small pieces where the tent mounts to the bar to reduce and metal on metal rattle.

SNIP The only thing I don’t love about the rack is that it has no locking hardware to mount the rack to the roof. If security is a concern you may want to look at a different option
Front Runner offers a couple of locks. I thought at least one of them fit the rack clamps?

Front Runner offers a couple of locks. I thought at least one of them fit the rack clamps?
I’m not aware of any locks that Front Runner offers. You can source tamper resistant bolts if you want that would give you a bit more piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom