Factory Roof Rack Weight Limits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders:

I'm thinking about putting a 180lb Roofnest tent on the top of my 93 FZJ80. I currently have the factory rack on my rig and trying to decide if I need to upgrade my cross bars, rails, and/or entire roof rack system. Does anyone happen to know what the load limits on a factory rack or have any guidance if using new cross bars on the existing, factory rails will do?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mudders:

I'm thinking about putting a 180lb Roofnest tent on the top of my 93 FZJ80. I currently have the factory rack on my rig and trying to decide if I need to upgrade my cross bars, rails, and/or entire roof rack system. Does anyone happen to know what the load limits on a factory rack or have any guidance if using new cross bars on the existing, factory rails will do?

Thanks in advance!
Officially it's somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs IIRC. I never had one, so haven't read the label on one. Safe to say, the tent itself is already all it can handle and you could'nt use it in camp either for all practical purposes. You need a rack rated to use RTTs in. These will attach to the drip rail. The factory mounts are only riv-nuts in sheet metal, so too inadequate to depend on.

Would not recommend. IMO, the factory roof rack is good for light loads but not much more. Many years ago when I was a newb, I wanted to use the factory roof racks for hanging my hammock. Just tugging on the rig showed that the amount of flex was unsafe.

As @greentruck stated, the factory roof rack is attached to the roof skin with sheetmetal screws. The weight of the tent and occupants will surely damage the roof skin. The drip rails are significantly stronger and this is were all aftermarket roof racks attach to the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom