Another what turbo for my 1hz thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of specs in the initial post, but there's one major thing missing.

What do you want the finished result to do?
Top end power for highway only use?
Low end boost for offroad and towing?
Best drivability?

Dougals got a great point cus when I maped the t3 60 I was thinking all round, not 4000rpm. That gives you the option of chucking a .48 housing on it for mucho low end boost. To get the top end stuff the bottom has to be sacrificed. Unless you go compound.... but I digress. I maped the TO4E 46 trim or a T3 turbine and housing with a T4 compressor on it. This will be my next larger turbo set up cus I like the large island and the compressor ramps up at a much lower RPM then the T3 turbines so im thinking it will actually spool marginally faster then the T3 turbines. For example. The GT2860rs at boost threshold (1.2 bar) requires over 50000rpms where as the T4 46 trim needs only 40000rpm. Well its an idea anyhow. Here is the map. All the points are the same. You really need to look at what you want and go for that. Its all nice to say I can take this old gal all the way up to 4 grand, but who the f%#@ treats there truck like that? My Mennonite grampa would be crapping varenika!

t3t4-46trim.jpg
t3t4-46trim.jpg

Lots of specs in the initial post, but there's one major thing missing.

What do you want the finished result to do?
Top end power for highway only use?
Low end boost for offroad and towing?
Best drivability?

I want more power. Better gusto for the hills and a bit of towing down the road.

I would love for the turbo to kick in between 1400-1600 rpm and carry to about 3000rpm. I don't rev it more than that.

Then Build a split manifold for the twin entry (lowers back pressure) .48 exhaust (you can get it from SPA Turbo on ebay 100$) for a T3-60trim with a large external wastegate. Will spool hard in the lower RPMs and wount surge and you can control the boost easily via the larger wastegate. Fairly inexpensive actually. Good for 20psi if you wanted with 360 thrust bearing.

Hey Karter,

A guy here on the isl. is going Variable Geometry on his 1HZ. He has bought the turbo already and is in the process of installing it I believe.

His handle is "Koops" his name is Keith.

He's the kind of guy that pays attention to detail and researches the h*ll out of stuff. Might be worth a PM.

Good luck.

Hey Cam,

Yeah I remember seeing that in his build thread. I am going to do some research.

Question: Does turbo lag from fitting a larger turbo affect factory performance at those rpms where lag occurs? In other words, if fitting an .86 turbine, boost doesn't occur until say 1600; below that, is the 1HZ still going to perform as it would NA?

Here is a guy on outlimits using the GT2876r.....

Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - GT2876 on a 105 1hz

Question: Does turbo lag from fitting a larger turbo affect factory performance at those rpms where lag occurs? In other words, if fitting an .86 turbine, boost doesn't occur until say 1600; below that, is the 1HZ still going to perform as it would NA?

That depends. Until your turbo is producing positive pressure, it's just an exhaust and intake restriction. All the individual details make up the package.

Zoltan.
He's posted some dyno plots, they show on 10psi the torque isn't above NA levels until 1600rpm, max torque at 2400rpm.
If you want higher boost, the peak shifts higher still.

I'm a big fan of fast boosting turbos. My own homebrew effortson my 3.9L Isuzu are now on a T25/T28 hybrid with a 60mm compressor, 53mm turbine and 0.49 A/R exhaust housing. This gives me 19psi at 2000rpm with safe EGT's. IMO any bigger turbo won't. A compressor wheel bigger than the boost/flow required will just risk surge and slow the spoolup.

I don't think a lag it's an issue here .. ( at least not for me ) coz we are not ( I'm not ) " racing " our cruisers .. are we ? it's not any near to monster engine ..

I don't think a lag it's an issue here .. ( at least not for me ) coz we are not ( I'm not ) " racing " our cruisers .. are we ? it's not any near to monster engine ..

I've noticed a big difference from my old T25 to my T25/T28 hybrids. The T25 would spool fast enough to stay smoke free. The T25/T28 would spool slow enough from the compensator opening from 4-7psi and getting 15+ to burn clean that I had to back off the boost compensator to reduce the smoke.

hey dougal any ideas for running a turbo similar to the performance ct26 that everyone talks about?
I am curious to what configuration that turbo could be.

hey dougal any ideas for running a turbo similar to the performance ct26 that everyone talks about?
I am curious to what configuration that turbo could be.

Honestly the closest you'll find in a used turbo is a Holset as they are the only turbos using similar design principles (i.e. low rpm boost and high boost capacity for diesels). Exactly which holset is a bit of a mystery, I've never put the time into understanding their model designations.

Or just ask Graeme about his custom built CT26 based turbos.

Dougal said:
Honestly the closest you'll find in a used turbo is a Holset as they are the only turbos using similar design principles (i.e. low rpm boost and high boost capacity for diesels). Exactly which holset is a bit of a mystery, I've never put the time into understanding their model designations.

Or just ask Graeme about his custom built CT26 based turbos.

Yeah I think Graeme is kinda tight lipped about that kind of thing

Do you have any other recommendations on turbos?

Lots of people give Graeme a hard time about his tight lips, but he is that way for good reason. It takes a ton of cash and time to trial and error turbo combos.

Last edited:
yeah for sure, i thought i read somewhere that his brother in law works at a turbo shop.

It sounds like he has an awesome product but I am on a budget.

when someone takes the time to fine tune a piece, i feel they have a right to keep the info to themselves.
if you want a turbo that performs bloody wickedly on a 1HZ then shoot me an email and i will put you in touch with a guy that makes a 1HZ rock.

The T3 variants are the only used turbos you'll find in a suitable size. The garrett GT2560 is a suitable turbo but I can't think of any donors in your parts of the world for a secondhand one. A new one would be similar cost or more than one of Graeme's turbos.

Here are your options as I see them:
Used T3 or Holset.
New Gturbo from Graeme.

I'd wait a few weeks for Graeme to get back from his summer camping trip and see what options he can provide.

I also think if you are on a budget, I wouldn't be pushing the 1HZ too high for boost. In factory form these aren't suited to high pressure turbocharging.

when someone takes the time to fine tune a piece, i feel they have a right to keep the info to themselves.
if you want a turbo that performs bloody wickedly on a 1HZ then shoot me an email and i will put you in touch with a guy that makes a 1HZ rock.

Wayne if your going to be running this set up I am going to wait as I have to anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom