Another what turbo for my 1hz thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The T3 variants are the only used turbos you'll find in a suitable size. The garrett GT2560 is a suitable turbo but I can't think of any donors in your parts of the world for a secondhand one. A new one would be similar cost or more than one of Graeme's turbos.

Here are your options as I see them:
Used T3 or Holset.
New Gturbo from Graeme.

I'd wait a few weeks for Graeme to get back from his summer camping trip and see what options he can provide.

I also think if you are on a budget, I wouldn't be pushing the 1HZ too high for boost. In factory form these aren't suited to high pressure turbocharging.

I won't go the ball bearing turbo route because I cannot justify the added cost. I might as well go the gturbo. But I cannot find a cheap 1hd-t exhaust manifold in north america to cut down on costs.

Lshobie has informed me that he is currently using a precision 3231 with an internal wastegate set up running a .48 turbine housing.
Apparently he gets boost right from idle all the way to about 3000rpm. Before he had the .63 turbine housing and it started roughly at 1800rpm.

I cannot find any maps for this turbo.

So far I know that the stock ct-26 for the 1hd-t runs .48 turbine housing. Hense why it spools down low. Now I know that adding a supra compressor increases the boost. Another fellow on the forum had a few shots of the gturbo and he mentioned that it had a 65mm compressor wheel (inducer most likely).
Graeme also mentioned somewhere that he has custom turbines made and it still utilizes the stock ct26 turbine housing and a bored out compressor housing.

I won't go the ball bearing turbo route because I cannot justify the added cost. I might as well go the gturbo. But I cannot find a cheap 1hd-t exhaust manifold in north america to cut down on costs.

Lshobie has informed me that he is currently using a precision 3231 with an internal wastegate set up running a .48 turbine housing.
Apparently he gets boost right from idle all the way to about 3000rpm. Before he had the .63 turbine housing and it started roughly at 1800rpm.

I cannot find any maps for this turbo.

So far I know that the stock ct-26 for the 1hd-t runs .48 turbine housing. Hense why it spools down low. Now I know that adding a supra compressor increases the boost. Another fellow on the forum had a few shots of the gturbo and he mentioned that it had a 65mm compressor wheel (inducer most likely).
Graeme also mentioned somewhere that he has custom turbines made and it still utilizes the stock ct26 turbine housing and a bored out compressor housing.

The GT2560 is not a ball bearing turbo and you are reading way too much into A/R numbers.
A/R numbers by themselves mean nothing, you cannot compare them across different turbo families or even across the same turbo with different size wheels inside. The CT26 doesn't have a 0.48 A/R housing.

Getting how much boost from idle? How many rpm to get 10psi boost and how clean is the engine running at that?

well, i was running 14 psi and an agressive foot in the old HZJ75 pickup back in 2000. the truck has been driven steady since then. the new owner brought it by last month and it still runs very well, pull strong and original engine 11 years later.
(that was the truck i could get rubber going into second if i pushed it)

it isn't the engine that i would worry about at 14 lbs but as Dougie boy says, the heat generated reduces the usefullness of the turbo. it was recommended to me that over 14 an intercooler is mandatory and recommended over 10.

well, i was running 14 psi and an agressive foot in the old HZJ75 pickup back in 2000. the truck has been driven steady since then. the new owner brought it by last month and it still runs very well, pull strong and original engine 11 years later.
(that was the truck i could get rubber going into second if i pushed it)

it isn't the engine that i would worry about at 14 lbs but as Dougie boy says, the heat generated reduces the usefullness of the turbo. it was recommended to me that over 14 an intercooler is mandatory and recommended over 10.

While others have had issues with similar boost levels. It all depends if you can afford to roll the dice or if you absolutely need a reliable setup. Pushing 27psi into an 18:1 engine gives the same internal pressures as 15psi into a 23:1 engine.

My 58kw 4wd work car can squeal the front tyres going into second. It's nothing to do with engine power or torque, just all that energy stored in the flywheel.

bolt 35" boots on and lets see it happen ...
but all this aside, the 1HZ is a tough engine and can take 14 psi fine

your advice is good and 10 psi with EGTs below 1200F max then the 1HZ will have a nice long reliable run.

Yes keeping EGT's under control is the main thing. Pistons (and heads) can take a lot more pressure when they're not about to melt.

Just to clarify one point, I do not make a 1HZ-CT26 adapter the bolt pattern means its not viable in a 14mm plate. If you want to go this route you need either an exhaust manifold to suit CT26 or a different adapter.

I do make a 1HZ-T25 which suits the Garret GT2860RS or any T25 flanged turbo, except the GT2860R (The GT2860R has a compact flange designed to save space and can not bolt up the adapter flange as 2 of its mounting holes are blind) I know of a couple of people caught out buying what seemed a cheap turbo off eBay only to find it was an R and not the RS.

Gifu's 1HZ-T25

Regards Matt

matt.mcinnes said:
Just to clarify one point, I do not make a 1HZ-CT26 adapter the bolt pattern means its not viable in a 14mm plate. If you want to go this route you need either an exhaust manifold to suit CT26 or a different adapter.

I do make a 1HZ-T25 which suits the Garret GT2860RS or any T25 flanged turbo, except the GT2860R (The GT2860R has a compact flange designed to save space and can not bolt up the adapter flange as 2 of its mounting holes are blind) I know of a couple of people caught out buying what seemed a cheap turbo off eBay only to find it was an R and not the RS.

Gifu's 1HZ-T25

Regards Matt

Matt will this adapter fit the t3 and t4 turbos?

Matt will this adapter fit the t3 and t4 turbos?

T3 and T4 flanges are larger so no they will not suit this flange.

Assuming what you call a T3 and T4 turbo relate to the flanges size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom