Am I a looney toon? 37" AT's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
I need new tires for my 80 and have been giving this a lot of thought. I am about to pull the trigger on some nitto terra grapplers in 37x12.5x17 unless anyone can give me a good reason not to.

Pro's as far as I see them
Harder compound (last longer)
longer wear life
better mpg (hahaha)
smoother, quieter ride (new baby)

My one BIG trip every year is to Moab. On slickrock just about anything rubber sticks like glue. I think that these AT's will handle anything local that I can throw at them ( San Antonio)

Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?

Last edited:
Do you already have the gearing to do this? If not, 37's will be disappointing for power loss on the road. Whaddya have now?

I have 5.29's. currently running 37" GY MTR (old style) I bought on CL like three years ago.

As someone who has 37s on stock gears and used it as a daily driver; it's not that bad. Learn to love 2nd gear when climbing hills; running around 4,200 RPM for climbs is alright and won't kill the motor unless you're doing it for long periods of time. You'll stay in the powerband and maintain 65-70mph without a problem.

As far as off pavement...they're awesome!

Do it and don't look back.

Like I said above, I have already re-geared for this size tire. Just looking for any reason not to buy an AT in this size.

Nothing wrong with it at all IMO. The only time I have found ATs lacking in when it gets muddy. Doesn't seem like that would ever be an issue in Moab!

I have run the Nitto Trails for several years. Run 15 psi on the trail and beat them hard. Still run quiet and smooth on the highway. They still balance well enough to crank up 3 digit speeds on the highway in an emergency. I think the Terra's would be a good tire for you. John

Ran some smaller 33 terra grapplers. Good tire. I don't see why not.

They will look like giant Camry tires. Other than that, should be fine. [emoji6]

I think you're making a good choice. From what I've seen the terra grapplers do pretty well offroad and as you've mentioned will be a nice road tire. I had 3 sets of BFG ATs on my old 80 and was quite surprised at how well they did offroad and they were LOADS nicer on the road than my current MTRs. While not 37's, they were great. I think you're onto something.

I need new tires for my 80 and have been giving this a lot of thought. I am about to pull the trigger on some nitto terra grapplers in 37x12.5x17...
I need tires for another vehicle, but I'm thinking along the exact same lines, and, incidentally, that same tire...

I need tires for another vehicle, but I'm thinking along the exact same lines, and, incidentally, that same tire...

:princess: Get the IROKs, you know you wanta! :p

Sounds like the way to go. Planning the same thing myself, ditching the military baja's for something more friendly for the long family trips my 80 sees.

Yep, thems good tires! I run a 33" iteration on a non landcruiser that shall go unnamed. Running 37" ATs seems like a good idea IMO.

If you know anything about the battle of Chapultepec you are probably cookoo pants, so I wouldn't worry about your choice of tire changing anything.

I ran these(BFG AT) all summer/fall
image.jpg
in NorCal one season. Work great on dry rock and dirt. Any appreciable rain completely changed that however and I quickly changed to KM2s.

I've though of going to an AT when my current MT's need replacing. Mine isn't a DD but it does spend more time on the road than on the trail because I usually have a 1.5 to 3 hour drive time from my house to whatever trail I'm running. With most trail runs consisting of 10 to 20 miles of trails, I have way more highway time than trail time. Being in SoCal we don't get much rain so mud performance doesn't play a big role. I ran AT KOs on my 4Runner for the longest and never really had an issue with the type of wheeling I do.

I'm starting to think ATs are a better fit for my case. The AT pros seem to outweigh the cons....

The KO2 is coming out in a 37x12.5x17. Might already be out since the other March releases are.

I too had TGs in 33. Hated them.. too baloon-like. Felt uncertain and were much more of a highway tread IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom