'91 LC80 n00b questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was flat transitioning to uphill at the upper end. It does run a LOT better now, but it's still a turd.
Perhaps you've forgotten what you're dealing with. A 22 year old 6000 pound brick with 155 horses pulling through an automatic transmission, capable of running on 3rd world fuel.
Personally, I think she's doing rather well.

Perhaps you've forgotten what you're dealing with. A 22 year old 6000 pound brick with 155 horses pulling through an automatic transmission, capable of running on 3rd world fuel.
Personally, I think she's doing rather well.
Oh, I didn't forget. The whole reason I bought an FJ80 was because I want to slow down and smell the roses a little more. My other Toyota is fun, but ripping through the woods at race pace is taxing on the soul. It's nice to pile in some friends and go putter around without having to worry about wadding it up or regularly breaking expensive parts.

I got a bike for the same reason, but it just can't carry enough stuff! It's nice for solo adventuring though.

Last edited:
TacoSupreme, welcome to the land of cruisers! Pendleton looks nice with the snow. Good luck on your 80. My firsthand experience with the windows was that replacing regulators sped them up slightly, carefully removing the runs and thoroughly cleaning the. Followed by drying time and a silicone gel applied in the runs made a mess on the edges of the windows, but no real improvement, adjustment of the windows and a new master switch and door switches helped slightly, but the real improvement came with just ordering new runs altogether. Wasn't that bad, and I went through the stealership to order them. Toyotaoverstockparts.com is an amazing source for cheap factory parts. I would start with replacing the runs and master and see how that works, also remove and clean the regulators and grease them with a heavy silicone jelly or white lithium grease.

Rear wiper, remove the hatch panel and check that it the motor is plugged in. Mine started running on its own one day and I couldn't get it to turn off no matter what I did, so I unplugged mine. Also check the relay for the rear wiper. Cruisers have a tendency to leak around the windshield gasket and you get corrosion in the plugs of your harnesses under the dash. A gasket is cheap and a local glass place will do the re-seal for $100 or so.

Brakes when maintained aren't all that great and are lacking for the vehicle size. If you want to upgrade get a full float rear with calipers and disks, I have one if interested, the prop valve is a good idea, I plan to do it myself, but these pigs have a bad fade problem due to weight and undersized brakes, a perpetual problem that you will see frequently addressed on mud is brake issues.

Let me know if this helps and enjoy that 80

TacoSupreme, welcome to the land of cruisers! Pendleton looks nice with the snow. Good luck on your 80. My firsthand experience with the windows was that replacing regulators sped them up slightly, carefully removing the runs and thoroughly cleaning the. Followed by drying time and a silicone gel applied in the runs made a mess on the edges of the windows, but no real improvement, adjustment of the windows and a new master switch and door switches helped slightly, but the real improvement came with just ordering new runs altogether. Wasn't that bad, and I went through the stealership to order them. Toyotaoverstockparts.com is an amazing source for cheap factory parts. I would start with replacing the runs and master and see how that works, also remove and clean the regulators and grease them with a heavy silicone jelly or white lithium grease.

Rear wiper, remove the hatch panel and check that it the motor is plugged in. Mine started running on its own one day and I couldn't get it to turn off no matter what I did, so I unplugged mine. Also check the relay for the rear wiper. Cruisers have a tendency to leak around the windshield gasket and you get corrosion in the plugs of your harnesses under the dash. A gasket is cheap and a local glass place will do the re-seal for $100 or so.

Brakes when maintained aren't all that great and are lacking for the vehicle size. If you want to upgrade get a full float rear with calipers and disks, I have one if interested, the prop valve is a good idea, I plan to do it myself, but these pigs have a bad fade problem due to weight and undersized brakes, a perpetual problem that you will see frequently addressed on mud is brake issues.

Let me know if this helps and enjoy that 80

Thanks man. I think you are correct about the runs. I just sprayed them with dry lube, and while it was wet the windows went up at a fairly normal speed. Going to clean the contacts on the driver panel anyway. I got the rear defrost and squirter to work, still no wiper. I'll get it figured out. I think I have the brakes whooped, I cut the LSPV rod and zip tied it in the "max load" position. On flat pavement it seems balanced, but on downhill gravel panic stops the rear locks first so I still need to adjust it a tad. It just takes time to sort through all this stuff. I replaced the hood and rear hatch struts today, and just went over everything checking for loose bolts. It was amazing how many I found!

I see speedometer services is just down the road in Portland too. Thanks man!

If you decide to use them, post up your experience. I would also like to go that route for my son's 92.

If you decide to use them, post up your experience. I would also like to go that route for my son's 92.
Wilco. At least with my google-fu, that seems like the only option. I'll call them tomorrow.

Also interesting to note the amount of arc welding going on in the window switch. I used emery cloth to clean all of the contacts on the board, and a pencil eraser for the burnished contacts on the switch panel side. Might just order a new one, it works but that has to be a contributing factor to the slow windows.

Ahhhh the memories......I had quite a bit more carbon than what's pictured but what's here would also impede full amperage in these circuits. I hope things go well putting it all back together and this makes a difference (definitely did for me). Be careful with those little springs, rockers, and that square plunger switch - they tend to disappear without much wiggling and are a bitch to find once on the ground.

Ahhhh the memories......I had quite a bit more carbon than what's pictured but what's here would also impede full amperage in these circuits. I hope things go well putting it all back together and this makes a difference (definitely did for me). Be careful with those little springs, rockers, and that square plunger switch - they tend to disappear without much wiggling and are a bitch to find once on the ground.

Too late. 3 out of 4 windows work, but the locks do not. Ordered a new assembly, should be here in a couple days. Also ordered the speedometer correction doohickey which might make it in this weekend.

Finally got a test drive with the new speedo correction from "Speedometer Services" and they did a good job. I called and told them what the speedometer currently indicated at a GPS speed of 60mph, they figured out the correction factor, and it is within one needle width at 60 now. It is off a bit more at slower and faster speeds, but that is the nature of mechanical correction. I think it was $130, and come to think of it you get get a GPS for that price. Anyhow, there is my review.
Also the new switches helped some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom