9" mounted ditch lights? pics? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another post regarding cooling system, ....extracted a comment from a user about not mounting lights and winches in front of the radiator for airflow resons. This made me wonder,

Anyone have 7-9" lights mounted to the hood (ditch light position)?

I'd love to hear pros/cons and see pictures. I have rigids mounted on my 4runner, but am considering 9" spot/floods for the LC. Feel like they don't have to be mounted to my ARB bumper, so why not on the hood?

Because they will block your view?

I think quite a few of us have 6"-9" round offroad lights mounted on the front ARB bumper w/o any issues. You started a thread on cooling issues being in LV, but if you do all the things suggested in that thread, I don't think you'll have any issues running any lights up front. Until I got a turbo, I've been happy with the OEM and the Koyo Alum radiator for years.

I think quite a few of us have 6"-9" round offroad lights mounted on the front ARB bumper w/o any issues. You started a thread on cooling issues being in LV, but if you do all the things suggested in that thread, I don't think you'll have any issues running any lights up front. Until I got a turbo, I've been happy with the OEM and the Koyo Alum radiator for years.
yea, I will. but was still curious if anyone had mounted big ol 9" behind the mirrors..

yea, I will. but was still curious if anyone had mounted big ol 9" behind the mirrors..
You may end up with a LEO stopping you for those big lights on the mirrors due to height.

Also a lot of wind vibration at that point.

a 9" light is a big freaking light. I have two 9" lights on my front bumper and wouldn't want to even try them in a ditch light position. On the hood would decrease a lot of visibility. Even if you moved them back onto the cowl cover it would be problematic I think. Perhaps on a bracket mounted to the side mirrors that put the lights directly in front of the side mirrors could work and not cause visibility concerns but I think there are numerous better locations for a 6-9" light.

I am running 10 inch lights on my ARB. Currently mounted in front of the top bar, soon to be relocated lower and behind the top bar. I seldom see anything over 80*F but even when I had my front tag positioned in between the lights I had zero cooling issues on or off road.

Not sure what you mean by "ditch light position", but from the rest of your comment it appears you mean on top of the hood/cowling??????

Are you planning on hanging out the window while you go down the road so that you can see what is in front of you? You will have to.

From you last comment, it seems that you are alternatively thinking about mounting them in front of your mirrors? I guess that wold be better than the hood anyway. The *main* thing that your ditch lights would obscure would be... the ditches?

Seriously, this has got to be one of your less good ideas. Don't pursue it.

Mark...

I am running 10 inch lights on my ARB. Currently mounted in front of the top bar, soon to be relocated lower and behind the top bar. I seldom see anything over 80*F but even when I had my front tag positioned in between the lights I had zero cooling issues on or off road.

Not sure what you mean by "ditch light position", but from the rest of your comment it appears you mean on top of the hood/cowling??????

Are you planning on hanging out the window while you go down the road so that you can see what is in front of you? You will have to.

From you last comment, it seems that you are alternatively thinking about mounting them in front of your mirrors? I guess that wold be better than the hood anyway. The *main* thing that your ditch lights would obscure would be... the ditches?

Seriously, this has got to be one of your less good ideas. Don't pursue it.

Mark...
yea, I'm not planning on it..was more of a curiosity. Figured someone had to have done it..

I’ve seen 9” ditch lights on Jeeps and maybe even 4Runners and Tacos. They have a more solid mounting bracket in most cases vs on an 80. The only known mount in the “ditch” area is to use a mirror bracket like Yodateq makes. 9” would be pushing it on that imo.

I agree that adding lights in front of the grill raises the temps a few degrees but nothing too worrisome if your cooling system is up to par and modded properly. Funny enough I literally just mounted some 9” lights tonight to my bumper.

Zero issues running 9" HID's

beachcruisindemo-Large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom