88 RESTO MOD BUILD FOR DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

First of all i would like to thank Deo(Mel Lowe), Georg(orange45) and Cam for there help. I would also like to thank Stan of HFS in SC. A little brief history, I have a super clean 85 blue FJ60 143k miles. i bought the truck a year ago and did all the required maintance with OEM Parts includeing a new H55 and front axle rebuild, added OME lift, had it painted. The interior is one of the best i have seen. I was daily driving a LX450 but my daughter is going to take that for her first car. So i am left with the sixty. I do alot of highway miles and while the 60 is in perfect running order, there are better motors suited for that type of driving. I heard that GM was going to stop making the erod 5.3 so i called engine depot and bought the last one. In addition i bought the kit from TLC for the conversion. Georg just finished rebuilding a 86 t-case and installed the adaptor for the 4l65 trans. The more i looked at my 60 the more i hated to cut up a great example of a unmolested 60. I started looking for a high mileage 62 for the conversion. My thought is i will just sell the 60 as is and build the 62. I found one near me that had 258k on the clock. the body has a few dings but overall no rust. My plan is as follows
1. rebuild front axel and install the front range kit
2. replace the 4:11 with 3:70 because i have an extra set
3. install the new erod 5.3 with the auto
4. full repaint either toyota 416 or the new grayish blue FJ color
5 have it as a daily driver for years to come.

002.JPG

1731.JPG

1724.JPG

1722.JPG

070.JPG

That 62 will work a lot better for the swap you are doing. Good luck with the swap!

If you are concerned with highway gearing 4.11's will be fine with the auto, remember FJ62's have 29" tires as stock size with 4.11s. going to 31's or 33's as most do with the auto will give you plenty of room on the high end. with 373's you'll have no LOW end.

Personally I'd keep the 60 AND build the 62 :)

I would love keep the 60 but I don't have the garage space. I sold my 40 my daughter and I built to expand my business and promised her we would build another one. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/father-and-daughter-82-build.605490/
My thought was on the gearing I would be able to run 75 at about 2100 rpm. With the 4:11 I would be up at about 2400 which is outside the efficient range of the 5.3. Running 32" tires. If I am wrong please correct me.

Best of luck won't regret it...are you tackling the conversion yourself?
What gears do you run? 4:11 or 3:70 and what is your rpm at 75

I'm running original 4:10 stock FJ62 gears and rpms 2300 at 75mph. Been averaging 16.5 in the city and 20 on the highway. Scan gauge II has been a great addition for coding and MPG!
Recommend upgrading to Autometer gauges and Lokar shifter.
Subscribed :beer::popcorn:

Congrats, you'll love it. Though I haven't heard anything about GM killing their EROD offering....that would be news.

Good luck with all of this! This is definitely what my lady and I want to do to her FJ62 in the future. Subscribed :popcorn:

Subscribed!

I would also try and steer you toward the 4.11s. I have 285/75/16s for comparison. 2300-2500 rooms is nothing for this motor. It feels like it is just idling down the interstate at that rpm. If anything, I wish mine were geared just a hair lower. I don't want to give up any power on the low end.

Above about 55mph, the wind resistance causes the mpg to suffer more than the rpm (I made that up but I'm pretty sure it's true).

Have you received the TLC kit yet? I've only heard about it, but not seen one yet. That should really help with the process. As should have Georg get the t-case/adapter ready.

We need more pics!

guys a quick update, i received the rebuilt transfer case from Georg with the AA mounted on it. i am going with the manual t-case to avoid future problems. Due to a heavy work load, i had a friend of mine at the toyota dealership rebuild the front axel, install the front range kit and new ome suspension. i will post pics when i get it back. I have the new drive train sitting in the shop when it returns from toyota. Also i sold the 60 to a great home the toyota dealer owner. his plans are to keep it in the showroom.

question- what radiator do you all use, it seems the Griffen is the way to go.

IMG_5704.JPG

Good call on getting rid of the vacuum t-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom