73 FST Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
I'm piecing together a 73 FST to "cruise" around. It had been on Craigslist for a while. After the seller dropped the price for the second time, I decided to go check it out.

The old F155 fired right up and sounded great. There was plenty of rust and rot but nothing that couldn't be replaced or repaired. We struck a deal and I trailed it home.

Last edited:
1st thing to go were the 17" Chebby rims. Thanks to my buddy Matt for donating his 62 wheels and tires, to my project. They look great. I don't plan on modifying the suspension, so the 31s are a perfect fit.

Here is a pic of Matt's cruiser, but that's another story.

Last edited:
At first I really despised the camo paint, but it has begin to grow on me. One day I'd like to go back to its original paint color white, but will leave it as is for the time being, as it reminds me of this old Camel ad.

The rear quarters hosted hack metal repairs and dangerously rusty top edges. I just happen to know a guy who had a decent set of quarters and another guy that does metal work, so I was able to get both quarters replaced at a very reasonable rate.

Thanks Dave & Mitch/Lance.

Mitch made replacing the quarters look easy. The floors were pretty shot out, so I had him replace those too. I ordered a cheapo floor off ebay and a rear mid bed from a Reel Steel. What a huge difference in quality.

While the floors were out, I steamed the frame and transfer case. The frame was full of mud. Fortunately, it wasn't rotted out, just a lil rusty.

I guess I'm getting old, because I have to have a set of hard doors. I like the idea of a glass window and some steel next to me. My friend Denis had a decent set and as a bonus, they were already camo'd. It's not a great match, but it'll do.

Last edited:
A powder coating shop opened next door. They are the new guys in town and are giving out very competitive rates. I dropped a few bits off and had them done. I went with a lighter shade of grey for the bezel instead of white. The bumper was done in silver. These two changes make the front end of the rig scream FJ40, but I'm sure folks will still call it a jeep. :(
Other than these few items, I won't be doing any other exterior cosmetic work.

I had a few interior bits done as well.

I pulled the knuckles to clean and install new bearings, gaskets and seals.
I'm ditching the mini rotors and upgrading to the fj60 vented version. I'm also adding mini ifs calipers + new brake lines.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420850315.681013.jpg
The rear floor of my truck is made from old road signs. I wonder if the previous owner worked for the DOT

Today I'm installing a powder coated OEM rollbar. Although I like the look of the cruiser without the bar, how it came from the factory, I want the added protection of three-point seatbelts. Yeah, I realize this bar will pretty much do nothing in the event of a rollover.

Before it goes in I will be painting the interior white. The silver was paint I had on the shelf but I'm just not feeling it.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420917171.401809.jpg

Subscribing to this one! Mel Lowe you do amazing work!

Do you/will you have the soft top parts?

Interesting read, and great work so far I also saved a 71 fj40 like that once. It had been on Craigslist for months and even had four layers of paint the last one being camo which was liberally applied with a brush and covered every surface on the outside including the seals. Despite all the additional paint it was virtually rust free. I put a lot of work in the truck and around 5 grand but I gave it back some of its former glory and sold it to a current mud member who has done even more work to better it. I ended up breaking even on the deal money wise and didn't really recoup any of the countless hours I spent on it but in the end it was worth it because the rig got a true second lease on life. I only wish I had taken pictures of it when I first got it.

Very impressive work. Keep em' coming.

You forgot about the part about driving that thing on a week long 1600 mile trip to GSMTR! Killer work BTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom