1st Land Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to start a build thread for my FJ40. 40's have always been my favorite car.

My wife and I first saw this one by an animal shelter that we volunteer at. After weeks of driving past it I finally left a note on the windshield and got my hopes way to high but heard nothing. I gave up on it, but after about a year I was convicted that I would get a Land Cruiser of some variety. So in a last ditch effort I left another note on the windshield. Persistence pays off and he finally got back to me. The owner was an interesting 80 something year old guy who told us about his drug smuggling glory days for a couple of hours in the cold December weather but refused to actually make a deal. I stayed in contact for a few weeks and we finally came to an agreement.

It's a Jan. 75 with a Chevy 350 swap and mini-truck front disc brake conversion. I had always told myself that anything other than a 2F engine was a gross bastardization of what a 40 was supposed to be. But I guess my convictions had never had to confront the reality of making childhood dreams come true. Through my time working on it now I have learned that the 350 is far from the only thing people have done to corrupt this poor thing.

Anyway, we have had it for about a year now. So far the progress has been mostly in getting it back on the road and keeping there. I'll do my best to run back through everything I have done to date, not that it is particularly exciting but more so just for posterity's sake. Now I am starting to think about committing to some bigger purchases to make her even more road worthy and closer to what I want now.

The first two pictures are where we first found it and the last one is when we finally got it home. Even though it is banal, we call her Elsie.

IMG_0121 2.JPG

IMG_0122 2.JPG

IMG_0227 2.JPG

Wanted to start a build thread for my FJ40. 40's have always been my favorite car.

My wife and I first saw this one by an animal shelter that we volunteer at. After weeks of driving past it I finally left a note on the windshield and got my hopes way to high but heard nothing. I gave up on it, but after about a year I was convicted that I would get a Land Cruiser of some variety. So in a last ditch effort I left another note on the windshield. Persistence pays off and he finally got back to me. The owner was an interesting 80 something year old guy who told us about his drug smuggling glory days for a couple of hours in the cold December weather but refused to actually make a deal. I stayed in contact for a few weeks and we finally came to an agreement.

It's a Jan. 75 with a Chevy 350 swap and mini-truck front disc brake conversion. I had always told myself that anything other than a 2F engine was a gross bastardization of what a 40 was supposed to be. But I guess my convictions had never had to confront the reality of making childhood dreams come true. Through my time working on it now I have learned that the 350 is far from the only thing people have done to corrupt this poor thing.

Anyway, we have had it for about a year now. So far the progress has been mostly in getting it back on the road and keeping there. I'll do my best to run back through everything I have done to date, not that it is particularly exciting but more so just for posterity's sake. Now I am starting to think about committing to some bigger purchases to make her even more road worthy and closer to what I want now.

The first two pictures are where we first found it and the last one is when we finally got it home. Even though it is banal, we call her Elsie.

View attachment 3563724

View attachment 3563734

View attachment 3563735
The strips are a cool beans 70’s artifact….and must be kept👍👍👍

I hear you on only buying a 2f powered 40. I bought one with a sbc swap that I am a few weeks away from replacing with a 2f. Its alot of work but Ill be happy with the 2f when I open the hood. Nothing wrong with a good running SBC though. probibly better for buying parts. certainly cheeper.

The strips are a cool beans 70’s artifact….and must be kept👍👍👍
They are actually from a repaint some time around the mid 2000s. Currently working to restore the original paint, but it will be a long process.

I hear you on only buying a 2f powered 40. I bought one with a sbc swap that I am a few weeks away from replacing with a 2f. Its alot of work but Ill be happy with the 2f when I open the hood. Nothing wrong with a good running SBC though. probibly better for buying parts. certainly cheeper.
Yeah I completely agree. It has been fun to learn on and given me a lot of opportunity to day-dream about swapping back in a 2F, or maybe something else.

I've been following your build. I wanted a 40 to be my wedding car but we got married firsthand got the 40 second. But luckily she loves land cruisers as much as I do now.

When we got it home the first project was putting in a new fuel filter, and running some new hose from the tank to it. Went with a cheap-o electric one but it has been working great to date. We changed the oil, spark plugs, and did a few other odds and ends and she was mostly drivable.

Because I am tall, hitting the clutch was a squeeze for my leg between the wheel and door. Luckily, another upgrade done by the previous owner was power steering. Because of this I didn't feel the need to worry about wheel diameter, so I found an early 80 series wheel for $35 on Proffitt's website. I fitted it in and my left knee no longer gets cut up by the door handle surround.

I started daily driving it, probably a little too early. One day as I was pulling into my parking lot I lost all clutch pedal pressure. I was able to coast into a parking spot. I spent the day hoping that I would be able to pump the pedal enough to at least get me home. Unfortunately, I came back out to her and she was dead. The clutch slave had succumbed to the dry desert air. I walked off base and had to get her towed out the next day. I ordered a new clutch slave and was able to install it while it sat on the street in front of my house.

IMG_0457.JPG

The next problem popped up with the starter. The solenoid no longer was engaging and was seeming to just spin. So before I was once again stranded on base I ordered a new starter and put it in. Knowing what I know now, I would have just rebuilt the old one.

I also forgot to mention that one of the other early things I did was install a new distributor in hopes of getting a stronger more reliable spark. This also might not have been necessary but when I started working on her last year I knew nothing about working on cars.

The first really big project didn't come up until summer time. I started to notice in driving that my temperature was getting worryingly high and quickly approaching overheating territory. In browsing the forum I found that the Taurus 2-Speed fan solution was probably my best bet to combat this.

I took a trip down to the local pick and pull to find a fan and also went ahead and ordered the delta current control wiring to make things a bit easier.

While I was in there, I decided to pull my radiator to get it recored as well. The rad shop I took it to said that I would probably be best served to just go ahead and replace it because it was so far gone.

Getting everything out and then put back together probably took me way longer than it should have, but I found the process incredibly rewarding as it was my first big success.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

They are actually from a repaint some time around the mid 2000s. Currently working to restore the original paint, but it will be a long process.
That being said, I also think the stripes are very cool.

My first Land Cruiser was a 1976 FJ40 I bought new in Boulder Colorado. Before the warranty was up it needed new rings and valves. I was lucky it was covered but dismayed at the failure. At that time I learned it was not all that uncommon and was one of the reasons SBC swaps were so popular. Fast forward almost 50 years and the trend now is to have a Toyota six under the hood for originality and to enhance the value of a collectable vehicle which I completely understand from that perspective. My 73 FJ40 I bought last July has a strong running 350 Chevy small block backed up by an indestructible GM SM 420 transmission. Mine will never go to car shows or be sold at a Barrett Jackson auction so I'm content to keep the drive train I have and actually prefer it. I only mention it because depending on the approach to your 40 having that SBC under the hood is not such a bad thing.

Last edited:
Mine came with the clutch pedal set down like 2", Jack was like 6'8", I'm 6'2" but I always liked being able to use the clutch easily.

The first really big project didn't come up until summer time. I started to notice in driving that my temperature was getting worryingly high and quickly approaching overheating territory. In browsing the forum I found that the Taurus 2-Speed fan solution was probably my best bet to combat this.

I took a trip down to the local pick and pull to find a fan and also went ahead and ordered the delta current control wiring to make things a bit easier.
View attachment 3577309
I really like my Taurus fan, so much that I grabbed annother when I went back to the pic-n-pull. Another (cheap) way to control it is the Volvo relay from the same years. They use the same fan, but the Volvo relay is sort of a soft start. I was blowing fuse until I discovered relay. I also run the fuse outside of my main fuse block as it melted the fuse holder over time. The stand-alone fuse socket has held up well.

Good looking cruiser and pooch.

Yeah I completely agree. It has been fun to learn on and given me a lot of opportunity to day-dream about swapping back in a 2F, or maybe something else.

I've been following your build. I wanted a 40 to be my wedding car but we got married firsthand got the 40 second. But luckily she loves land cruisers as much as I do now.
Cool ! Drove my 74 FJ40 to our wedding at the town municipal building in ‘78. Married by Mayor Mayer. Luckily, she loved Land Cruisers as much as I did too

Live in TX, nothing electric worked for me on our sbc 40, including taurus fan. Had to build a shroud and go with mechanical clutch/fan. Never had any issue since, even on the hottest days.

My flywheel has a flat spot that has gotten progressively worse. So the next big project on the list will be to replace the flywheel.

In reading on here is sounds like I should also go ahead and replace the clutch while I’m in there. Are there any other while you are in there jobs I should knock out?

I’ve been thinking about also addressing my transmission/transfer case, which has a pretty raucously loud whine in every gear across the rpm range (though it changes slightly). Should I do go ahead and tackle a rebuild or is a replacement the better route? I am sure that my seal is blown but I recently installed @shipmag hose.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would do the clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing while you are there for the flywheel. My rear main engine leaks despite a new seal. I have a speedy sleeve to install with a new seal that should fix that issue - and can be done when the flywheel is off.

Tools and skills to rebuild tranny/transfer are more that just putting in the above. Be prepared for some down time as you will not know what parts you might need until its apart. Find good parts source(s) now that have everything so you can order what you need as soon as you figure it out.

Last edited:
I would do the clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing while you are there for the pressure plate. My rear main engine leaks despite a new seal. I have a speedy sleeve to install with a new seal that should fix that issue - and can be done when the flywheel is off.

Tools and skills to rebuild tranny/transfer are more that just putting in the above. Be prepared for some down time as you will not know what parts you might need until its apart. Find good parts source(s) now that have everything so you can order what you need as soon as you figure it out.
What he said. I have built a transfer case, but not a transmission. I’m a three banana kinda mechanic. For the transfer, you need a press, feeler gauges, freezer and oven. It’s detailed oriented, but not terrible. With a full rebuild kit in hand, assembly can be completed in a day.

Disassembly is up to you- quick and dirty or full resto. Q&D 2 hrs. FR I have no idea, just depends how far you follow the white rabbit. Which ever you decide- clean,clean and clean some more.

I would do the clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing while you are there for the pressure plate. My rear main engine leaks despite a new seal. I have a speedy sleeve to install with a new seal that should fix that issue - and can be done when the flywheel is off.

Is doing the rear main seal worthwhile if I don’t currently have a leak?

That's always the question. $ of parts vs time to go back and fix it. I can pull the motor/tranny/transfer by myself in about 3 hours, about the same to put it back. When I did the rear main, I spent more than half a day trying to put the tranny/transfer back in by myself. Pulled the motor, put it all back together, installed the package done in a few hours. Way easier IMHO.

When installing the new rear main seal, dad told me it would leak, and yes it did. I need to pull the package and install the speedy sleeve to solve the leak.

I'm not a clutch or brake rider but I know lots of people who are.

Jack the guy who I got my 72 from; "if you have a hammer and a torch it has to fit". The there was auto shop class in high school, "Jack up the hood and drop in a new truck".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom