Builds 400HP 6.2L LS with 6 Speed auto swap....no lift. Plug 'n play swap kit in development (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reposting @TwoTonic 's comments on @wayneosan 's swap thread mentioning a custom PCB/converter/adapter that handles the tach conversion and the cruise control adapting. Don't think TwoTonic is around much anymore, but his adapters could be part of your kit:

Tach Adapter

Hey Wayne, Congratulations! Can't wait to see the video and hear your review with some real power under the hood.

You'll most likely need a tach adapter-- We've looked at the tach signals of the
'80s a lot on the 'scope and there's no easy way to adapt the PCM-driven tach signals to what the 80 wants to see. We ended up building a tach adapter for the Atlas-- also interfaces the GM PCM cruise control inputs to the 'stalk' '80 cruise system. PM me if you want to chat about hooking those up.

Standing by for that video,
TT:bounce:

Just checking in since I haven't posted any progress in a while.

I've been temporarily pulled away from the project by other commitments in life that seem to pop up around this time of year. Hopefully I will be back to work on it next week after New Years.

In the meantime, I've been doing some research on the cruise control. From what I can see in the EWD, the Toyota system utilizes a system of varying resistance to communicate the user's input to the CC ECU. The GM system utilizes a system of 12V+ inputs to communicate with the ECU. Based on the diagram in the EWD the toyota CC stalk has 3 switches inside that correspond to the 3 functions(set/coast, accelerate, cancel). These 3 switches connect to the sequence of resistors. I am going to try and open up the switch assembly and see if it can be modified to remove the resisitors and just provide a 12V signal to the GM ECM. Has anyone else tried this? @Skrewball @rockrod ?

Sorry I have not been on for a while. I never got around to integrating the cruise stalk to the gm harness. You are on the right track, just need to figure out a way to by pass the resistors and feed the appropriate momentary 12v inputs to activate the desired command. I am certain it can be done. For the drive by cable motors the stock cruise control servo can be used to actuate the throttle so it's a little easier to do as long as the correct feeds are in place (power, speedo signal, ext).

And to add, the stock tach can be driven by adding a Dakota digital tach adapter to boost the signal and convert the 4 count coming out of the gm pcm to the correct 3 count that the Toyota tach needs to read accurately. The signal boost is needed and the Dakota box serves this purpose nicely.

Regarding the H3 pan clearance and the need to push the axle forward, one thought to gain a bit of clearance without new brackets is to use caster correction bushings. Simply don't rotate them to achieve caster correction, rotate them both in the same direction to push the axle forward. You won't get the full 1", but perhaps between the bushings and the motor mounts, you can obtain the clearance needed. OME installation pic attached for reference.
%D2%CB%CA%2080-100.jpg

I've been watching this thread, and the thread by Cardona1 on the beefier tie rod which goes up front. Looks like that kit is around $240, so wouldn't that resolve the oil pan interference issue, while getting a strong tie rod set up?

Regarding the H3 pan clearance and the need to push the axle forward, one thought to gain a bit of clearance without new brackets is to use caster correction bushings. Simply don't rotate them to achieve caster correction, rotate them both in the same direction to push the axle forward. You won't get the full 1", but perhaps between the bushings and the motor mounts, you can obtain the clearance needed. OME installation pic attached for reference.
%D2%CB%CA%2080-100.jpg

I was thinking of this exact thing, may not be enough but worth looking into.

Arya,

I don't really have anything constructive to add except this is your goal, when it's all said and done. Kapish?

Interesting! He must do truck harnesses also. Curious on how they come out.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have many truck style LS engines in Australia. I think that's why Mark's hasn't sought to produce such a harness that would be useful to those of us in the US, but not so much in Aus.

U guys a genius, let me know when u get the kit figured out with a DIY cost!
My broke a$$ prob have to settle for a 5.3 tho

FYI - The facebook link on the ebay auction shows a CC set up:idea:
I like the Duramax offer they were making- $43K for a drive in-drive out service all inclusive. That's in Aussie dollars, so it's about $35k USD. Gotta love that exchange rate :) That motor and tranny can be hellaciously expensive on the used market.

Arya,

I don't really have anything constructive to add except this is your goal, when it's all said and done. Kapish?

Oh daddy likes!!!!!!!!!

I am really interested in seeing this complete and will be inline for a plug and play set!

I like the Duramax offer they were making- $43K for a drive in-drive out service all inclusive. That's in Aussie dollars, so it's about $35k USD. Gotta love that exchange rate :) That motor and tranny can be hellaciously expensive on the used market.
Duramax? Too big and too wide...

Cummins is 1200 :) but a better fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom