Builds 400HP 6.2L LS with 6 Speed auto swap....no lift. Plug 'n play swap kit in development (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently in the process of swapping a 6.2L L92(Escalade version of the LS3) with the corresponding 6L80E automatic transmission into my '94 80. The engine came from a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and features VVT(Variable Valve Timing). This allows for both low end torque and high end horsepower. The stock engine is rated at roughly 400HP/400FT-LBS at the crank. I am debating doing a cam swap to open the motor up a bit more, so we may see as much as 450HP/TQ when it's all said and done. The transmission will have both automatic and tapshift modes when I'm finished.

My goal for this swap is two fold. First is to create a capable sleeper that will function well as a DD. Second is to utilize this process as a prototyping process and develop a full plug 'n play swap kit. My intention is to provide everything necessary to install an LS engine into an 80-series for the DIY guy or a mechanic to install. This would include motor mounts, transfer case adapter, wiring harness, exhaust, power steering lines, ac lines, radiator hoses, etc. This is a large undertaking and I don't have a firm date/deadline at this point, but I am actively working on this with the goal to complete it as soon as possible. I am working with a few vendors to have the various components produced once I have finalized the design/prototype phase.

At this point in the swap, I have the old motor out and the new motor/transmission sitting in the engine bay. I did a LOT of research with regards to oil pans and found that the pan from an H3 Alpha is the same depth as a regular truck pan, but is about 1.5-2" shorter front to back than a regular truck pan. This gives almost enough room for the tie-rod to clear. I still lack about 3/4" for the tie-rod to clear the oil pan, but I have a plan for that. Other than the tie-rod issue, the front axle clears everything at full bump quite nicely. There is a small casting tab on the bellhousing of the 6L80 that has to be ground down for the driveshaft to clear, but once that is removed it fits without issue. The pan on a 6L80 is centered and allows sufficient clearance for the driveshaft at stock height.

I am currently working on the exhaust options as that is the biggest hurdle with keeping the truck low. Right now it looks like the exhaust can be snaked around the front driveshaft and transmission to merge into one pipe somewhere in the vicinity of the t-case and then carried back to a single exit point in or around the stock location. The other option is to go outside the frame rails on either side for true duals, but I don't think that will be desirable to many people, myself included. I am waiting on a couple of different manifolds to arrive to see what can be done with off the shelf parts. I would prefer not to have to build custom headers strictly for this application, but I'm not ruling it out.

Once the exhaust is complete, I will finalize the motor mounts and proceed with wiring and plumbing. I'm hoping to have the swap wrapped up and in testing by the end of January. I get about 4 hours/night on the project 4 nights/week, so hopefully that should be sufficient time to get it done.

Here are some pics:
Engine nestled in the engine bay.
20141119_231907[1].jpg

Driveshaft clearance at the transmission pan at full bump.
20141118_233053[1].jpg

Current location of tie-rod with H3 pan installed. This is roughly 2-3" from full bump. As you can see there is interference. I think I have a clever way to resolve that without major surgery, but I won't know until next week sometime. The good news is that the tierod moves forward significantly when the tires are turned, so this is the worst case condition. With the wheels turned about 10* I can set the truck on the bumpstops with ample clearance.
20141116_191419[1].jpg

Bogart, thanks for the comment. I had not previously seen jcardona1's thread. With that said, moving the tie-rod to the front of the axle is pretty difficult with no lift. The setup jcardona1 is running is very common in the Jeep world, and while it works it has a variety of flaws as well. Technically using the RHD steering arm still doesn't provide 100% correct Ackerman, although it seems to be a negligible issue as many people do it.

My plan to remedy the issue centers around pushing the front axle forward 3/4-1". If it works, I think my solution will be very simple. My goal is to make a kit that works at stock height. From there, it's easy to add a lift and gain additional clearances should the end user desire. I just don't want the lift to be mandatory.

Should be interesting to see what kind of power you make. In stock form in the Trailblazer SS 400hp/400ft/lbs on the all wheel dyno I could find made 292awhp and 322ft/lbs. SO a loss of about 27% compared to 33-36% I usually see in our trucks. Will be interesting to see if the 6L80E is responsible for the smaller loss or if it is the transfer case. I am betting the A343F is what is sucking up a lot of the power.

But if you can get 292+awhp when stock is 135awhp, you have 216% the power of the stock 1FZFE!

Last edited:
I have a lot of learning to do about smog stuff. Maryland makes it nearly impossible to do an engine swap legally until the vehicle is historic(20 years old) and then it's probably one of the easiest states to do it in.

Commifornia is probably one of the worst states for engine swaps, and it pretty much goes like this: the combined vehicle must meet the emissions standards of the newest component(motor vs vehicle). So a 08 cadi motor into a 94 TLC must meet the 08 cadi standard, and a 94 TLC motor into a 08 cadi must meet 08 cadi standard.

Very interested in what you are doing, in fact spoke with my underground mechanic today about sourcing a lq9 and a labor quote for me... Sub'd!! :popcorn: (I would be :wrench: with you but I'm far..)

This will be a cool swap! The emissions stuff isn't black magic. Air Care CO is just as tough as CA and I got mine past the referee. Just have a clear understanding of what they will be looking for during the inspection (all emissions components from donor, all O2 sensors, no CEL, and emissions readiness monitors showing ready). Fortunately the GM engine management is on the easier side for this stuff.

I am aware of California's reputation for being ridiculous. I'm a bit concerned about succeeding in CA because of the various components needing to be CARB legal. My biggest area of concern will be the exhaust since it will be more or less custom. I don't think I will have the volume to warrant submission for CARB certification, but we will see!

One thing to note, is that my swap and kit will revolve around the late model Gen IV engines and the 6L80. I have no intentions at this time of doing anything 4L60 related. I just think the 6L80 has so much potential and really lends itself to this swap due to its physical characteristics. They're also not that expensive if you stick to iron block truck 6.0's.

Commifornia is probably one of the worst states for engine swaps, and it pretty much goes like this: the combined vehicle must meet the emissions standards of the newest component(motor vs vehicle). So a 08 cadi motor into a 94 TLC must meet the 08 cadi standard, and a 94 TLC motor into a 08 cadi must meet 08 cadi standard.

Very interested in what you are doing, in fact spoke with my underground mechanic today about sourcing a lq9 and a labor quote for me... Sub'd!! :popcorn: (I would be :wrench: with you but I'm far..)

In Kommiefornia the emission standard will be for the year of the engine, not the chassis. The engine must be newer than the chassis. In my 95 cruiser I can put in any engine model year 95 and up and it must retain all factory emissions components to remain legal. You cannot install an engine older than the chassis and remain legal, unless it's for off highway use only.

Have you looked at GM or Holley's swap oil pans, they are a tad shallower.

The H3 pan that I'm using is also marketed as GM's "muscle car swap pan". I looked at Holley's pan as well, but didn't see any benefits.

I could very easily swap to an F-body pan and avoid this issue altogether. The reason I am hell bent on a deep pan is that I have too many friends that have lost motors due to oil starvation associated with shallow car pans. Now granted they were in buggies, but I figure if I can pull it off, why not. My prospective solution of pushing the axle forward has other benefits as well. I am planning to run 35s at stock height and pushing the axle forward will help gain needed clearance at the firewall. The 35s are almost a necessity with the 6L80. The stock 4.10s with 35s is VERY close to the factory Escalade gearing.

You could just notch that pan?

In Kommiefornia the emission standard will be for the year of the engine, not the chassis. The engine must be newer than the chassis. In my 95 cruiser I can put in any engine model year 95 and up and it must retain all factory emissions components to remain legal. You cannot install an engine older than the chassis and remain legal, unless it's for off highway use only.
Good to know.
I'm hopeful that custom exhaust, from oem header/manifold back, is all that's needed, then it should pass CA I would think, as long as all the original stuff is carried over. :bounce:

Good to know.
I'm hopeful that custom exhaust, from oem header/manifold back, is all that's needed, then it should pass CA I would think, as long as all the original stuff is carried over. :bounce:

It would have to be from the catalytic converters back. You would need to use the factory exhaust manifolds unless you found a set that have a CARB certification.

The main problem is the visual inspection. The smog guys do a visual inspection to ensure there are no aftermarket parts or modifications. You may get lucky and get a smog guy that isn't very thorough or one that doesn't know what anything is so sometimes you can sneak stuff by them.

Do you know if it matters if the engine and manifolds come from the same make/model? I am fairly confident I can make some factory manifolds work, but not the Escalade's manifolds. I also have no hope of utilizing the factory GM cats in their stock position. I can probably get them close, but they would be new aftermarket cats.

Stock manifolds are legal in Cali.
Carb approved aftermarket cats are legal in Cali..
I live in Cali. and super interested in this. So much so, that once this really gets rolling, or even now/sooner, and you want to have me mirror what you're doing and then work it through the smog/ref/registration nightmare and get kinks worked out then I am interested. PM me and we can connect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom