22REvolution. An 85 Pickup West Texas Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a solid plan. Always liked that the SFA rigs could run larger tires with minimal lift. Half doors are choice. Found a set here but sendy just a bit more than I care to pay.

You'll want to save power steering box from 86. You'll want it down the road.

Replaced all of the hoses under the plenum on my 85 two years ago. All OEM.

How did you get the part numbers?

My local dealer was glad to help.

I'm sure guys on here can help you with part numbers if you need. Just ask

Message CDan or Beno. They can help you out as well.

Message CDan or Beno. They can help you out as well.
CDan is my local dealer.:smokin:

I'm sure guys on here can help you with part numbers if you need. Just ask

Just keep in mind that the hoses on the 85 are different than the 86. They are unique. What is not funny is the 86+ hoses are the same as the early Celica (pre-85).

CDan is my local dealer.:smokin:

Just keep in mind that the hoses on the 85 are different than the 86. They are unique. What is not funny is the 86+ hoses are the same as the early Celica (pre-85).

I downloaded the parts manual and actually managed to get it to work. That was fun! Ended up loading it on an external hard drive because it kept saying there was not enough room on my hard drive. Funny thing is, the external is much larger. Go figure. Maybe it has something to do with the file structure. NTFS vs. whatever...
So I don't find those hoses listed after all that work so I guess it's time for a rescue from CDan. I really try to figure stuff out on my own. Tomorrow I turn 56 and it doesn't come as easy as it used to.

Ok, on to something more fun. I steam cleaned the front of the engine and the underneath now that all the parts are off. Going to make it much nicer when I pull the pan. Which makes me ask.
I read that I will need to raise the engine a couple of inches but I have to say that with the front axle at full droop, it sure looks like there is plenty of room. Can someone confirm this? I suppose every truck is a bit difference so there is no real way to know ahead of time so might as well dive it. It's just that if I find out later that I do have to raise the engine, I will need to have the truck the opposite way on the lift so the engine will be right above the chain hoist. I have it on backwards because there is better lighting if I leave the roll up door open.

One final note. Now that the engine is clean I see blue RTV for a pan gasket. Is this OEM? If so, is there a reusable silicone gasket available or is this not advisable?

Edit: I looked up CDAN under members and not sure this is correct. He has only 4 posts and are very recent. Is this the correct member you are referring me to?

Last edited:
CDan = cruiserdan

Raising the engine is only necessary if you have an IFS suspension. And your pan doesn't take RTV, it uses a cork gasket.

Raising the engine is only necessary if you have an IFS suspension. And your pan doesn't take RTV, it uses a cork gasket.

When I was ordering the parts from Todd, I asked him if all the gaskets were in the kit and he stated that the factory used RTV so that was what I should use. His exact words were "if it's good enough for factory then it's good enough for me". I don't recall what exact gaskets he was talking about, so when I saw the blue RTV for a pan gasket, it got me to thinking that was one of them. I find this odd. I guess I better order a gasket or two...

Here ya go:

OilPan.jpg

If the suspension is old you'll need to jack the frame up to remove the oil pan on the SFA unless on a lift to allow the axle to be at full drop to get it off.

Last edited:
Oh shoot. Sorry, I had the threads mixed up. Pre-8/84 engines use a cork gasket, but after that date yes you use FIPG. I actually really like the Permatex "Right Stuff" in the caulking tube, usually gray.

Sucks to get old... that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

^^^LOL^^^
Removed the pan and balancer today. Didn't need the puller for the balancer. Is this normal?

IMG_0359_zpshrqf61ko.jpg

IMG_0358_zpslc5syysa.jpg

IMG_0355_zps41vktwmq.jpg

I'm sure some of the smaller particles made it past the screen, but in the last picture of the screen you can see some chunks that got stuck half way. Sure am glad I'm going to the trouble. Thanks to this site for the heads up.

I have never needed a puller the get the crank pulley off.

Ya, the balancer usually just pulls right off.

I would remove that oil pickup and squirt a bunch of brake cleaner spray down it to get all those chunks out of the screen.

I would also replace that big ground wire now, while it's easy to reach. The one below the oil filter.

Ya, the balancer usually just pulls right off.

I would remove that oil pickup and squirt a bunch of brake cleaner spray down it to get all those chunks out of the screen.

I would also replace that big ground wire now, while it's easy to reach. The one below the oil filter.

Yup, already got the tube, pan and screen all cleaned up. Parts should arrive in a day or two.
Good idea to replace that ground wire.

Quick update on the project:
Last night the timing case, timing chain, water pump and oil pump kit came in the mail. I'm hoping to install the kit this weekend.
Today I had to take my pickup into town (200 miles away) on a business trip. I took the opportunity to swing by the salvage yards to see the pricing on a set of chevy springs. First place wanted $75 a piece so I went next door and they were $100 each. The third place, the guy was working on a crawler and so I started talking to him about all the cool things and so we hit it off and I got a set of 2007 nearly new springs for $100 cash deal. I was ok with that price and loaded them up. I wasn't 100% sure that was the direction I wanted to go, but I like having parts around just in case, and had just read where Toast really digs his, so I will use them. Double shackles? IDK yet. Seems like it would not have much lateral stability with doubles, and I want to drive this truck not trailer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom