22REvolution. An 85 Pickup West Texas Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I re-installed the bed so I could get the truck inspected. Looks like I'm going to need to order some taillight lenses. With the bed now on I decided to go for a ride other than in my driveway. Even with crappy mismatched tires, the trucks suspension is remarkedly still smooth. Everything appears to be working properly. I'm thinking I will mount up the new tires I just bought for the truck, get it inspected and drive around a bit. One thing that stood out was how comfortable the bench seat is to me. Thinking of keeping it.

Question: Can I run a doubler and keep the couch?

Started in on some of the rust repair. Figured I hadn't posted up any pictures in a while so here ya go:

IMG_0367_zpsmloeubr6.jpg

Glass removed and all the rubber molding removed.

IMG_0363_zpsmdc5qb1x.jpg

IMG_0368_zpsmw4vbcrz.jpg

First coat of All-metal on top of an aluminum mesh for strength. I figure this repair as opposed to welding in new metal, will outlast me. If you have never used All-Metal or even Bondo brands equivalent of it, I highly recommend it. Cost about 1 1/2 times more than a polyester bondo, but worth every penny for rust repairs. I prefer it to fiber hair bondo also BTW.

Last edited:
Installed my new wheels and tire. It's good to have a friend who has a tire machine and a balancer! 3 beers later and they are mounted and balanced. Since the free 12.5 x 33's didn't work out, I bought 10.5 x 31's in an All-Terrain. I sure notice the reduced power and braking, but do like the looks and feel of them.

Still working on the rust repairs, will get some pictures posted up soon.

Pictures as promised. All I lack to get it inspected is to install the windshield. I put on a new muffler today.

IMG_0390_zps672lcacy.jpg

IMG_0391_zpsyivpgxck.jpg

How well does that metal filler sand?

Sands pretty much like polyester bondos. I used 180 grit and it shaped up nicely.

Went out to the shop to contemplate my next move and was pissed to see a large puddle of oil underneath the engine. I put the truck up on the lift to check her out and was happy to see it was just the steering damper seals that let loose. I have a spare ready to bolt on so no big deal. There was also a small puddle of anti-freeze but I think it is coming from the top radiator hose clamp. it is still the original style one that is most likely worn out. I'll address that also. Tomorrow I intend to install the windshield. Then off to get an inspection.

Well, today I set the windshield in place. A dry fit with the universal rubber molding proved to not be what I wanted, so I simply bedded it in with the black butyl caulking that is routinely used on glass. Once it cures, I will tape off the edges and put on a nice final "pretty" coat. It looks pretty good and shouldn't leak, so I'm happy with it. Hopefully the truck will now pass inspection and become drivable.

Passed inspection, so It's drivable now. Going to order a new radiator and finish up the body work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom