Builds 1FZFE Engine Rebuild + Power Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

guzzla said:
Also noticed the top of the timing chain guide had been chewed out at some time too. That explains the plastic bits in the sump.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=99&u=14684539

Maybe someone can explain what would cause the timing chain to hack out the guide and rip off 2 teeth the way it has.

I found the same thing in my customer's rig.

Necessitated making a simple head job into pulling the timing cover, upper oil pan, etc to swap out the guide/chain/damper. He wasn't happy about it, but i sure wasn't going to warranty any work if it wasn't fixed correctly.

Added another 10 hrs of labor to the bill as well as another few hundred bucks to the part total.

Your rig is probably one of the earlier 1FZs. They have a known problem with the guide material that was addressed with an updated part. My customer's rig is a mid 1993 build date.
ForumRunner_20120131_231134.jpg

i found this in mine when i rebuilt it....
broken 001 (Medium).jpg

I am subscribed to this one!!

I just put a used 42k mile engine in my cruiser and have been thinking of rebuilding my old one. I can take my time and spend a little here and there instead of being pressed for time and money.

How was the Haltech install?

Back in the day I had an RX-7, and the Haltech EMS was a pretty popular system when going stand-alone.

I would like to turbocharge my rig eventually, and since it is a 94 I think going full stand-alone is the best way.

Bump for awesomeness! and to request pics and info about turbo set-up.

Subscribed. I have a old turbo and wastegate left over from my Supra. I ha a 96 80. If I were to go this route I think I would rather have a OBD 1

I think the blokes on this side of the pond would like ALL KINDS pics and part #s for this beast.

Damn, I've not read this thread for ages and have missed all these posts.

Here's some more pics from my archives...

I used a genuine Safari manifold I found on eBay and welded in a piece of piece of pipe for the external wastegate.

The Turbo is a GT3582...

I ran a heat shield for a while but pissed it off as it really did nothing and made working in the engine bay a PITA.

I recently remade the pre and post turbo piping and air box. $in direct into the turbo and 2.5in post turbo to intercooler.

Turbo oil drain nipples.

I made an additional support at the base of the dump pipe, mounted to the side of the gearbox bellhousing.

I originally secured the turbo to the manifold using HT bolts. But these came loose so I swapped them for studs and had no further issues.

I may have mentioned this somewhere else, but, i like everyone else loves the diesel motors. I want one bad.

At cruise Moab i was talking to some folks from Canada and a few folks from across the big pond and they were kind of laughing at our desire for the diesel. They said that yes, on general they get good gas mileage and have good low end torque, and they are good motors.....but then they said, they would all prefer a blown gasoline motor anytime.

That kind of stuck with me.

After spending the last couple years neck deep in turbo's, and having a solid 15+ days on a dyno with the 1FZ, I don't understand these numbers on your dyno plot.

The dyno shows around 885ft/lbs at 3310revs at that rpm the hp would have to be in the 550-560hp range as hp is just a calculation based off of torque and rpm and why the torque and hp curve always cross at 5250rpms.

Horse power = (torque ft/lbs * rpms)/5250

Additionally at the high end the hp number would have to be in the high 600's and with a GT3582 that's not possible with 30% drivetrain loss. That would mean almost 900hp at the crank and the 3582 only pumps around 67lbs/min of air.

I guess what I am saying is that the torque numbers on this must mean that the dyno was having problems? Just out of curiosity have you been on another dyno?

Any chance you could do a 0-60 for the 0-60 thread?
Thanks!

Well, not before time and certainly not without its complications right to the very end, the mighty 80 had its first maiden voyage on the weekend and it was an overwhelming, oversteering success :mrgreen:

Straight off the dyno with a relatively safe tune on board and pumping out a very healthy 245RWKW and 1173Nm Torque (yes 1173Nm :shock: ) at 10psi, I loaded the old girl up and headed South into the unknown for some 'real world' testing:steer: And in case you're wondering, on and off road, this thing hauls some serious ass now. It idles as smooth as a Swiss watch and the power and torque, on or off boost, is silky smooth and simply relentless .Every cent I have spent on this project was easily justified this weekend :D

It likes a drink when you're up it for the rent but that's collateral damage in my book, however, travelling from Sydney to Camberra, fuel economy was 16.5L/100km - bearing in mind pre turbo it was 30+L/100km. I'm confident of getting into the low 15s when I swap the diff gears from 4.56 back to 4.11.

But, like all good speed junkies, I can't wait to take it back to the shop in a few weeks to really make it boogie:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom