Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hazard switch. Normal course of action might be to find another or buy one. However a small flat head screwdriver to carefully pry open the tabs and wiring harness revealed what I'd hoped to be an easy fix:

IMG_4349.jpeg

Quite a bit of dirt and grime fell out - and comparing the contacts....I saw exactly why GO and GR were not passing 12V. (Which if you are rebuilding one, I made this diagram):

If you have the switch in your hand, removed from the truck and look in the end of the plug:

Blank diagram (2).jpeg

1. With the switch pushed in (OFF) pins 2 and 3 will have continuity with each other and none else. (this allows current to flow through your normal turn signals)
2. With the switch pulled out (ON) pins 4, 5 and 6 will have continuity with each other and pins 2 and 3 are interrupted with a new 1 to 2 connection, overriding your turn signal switch and sends voltage to each side turn signal.)

IMG_4357.jpeg

My pins 2 and 3 failed. You an see the build up on both sides.

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4350.jpeg

Q-tip and Brasso:

IMG_4352.jpeg

Cleaned with rubbing alcohol:

IMG_4353.jpeg

Same thing for the other side. Then, lubricated with dielectric grease (Super Lube is dielectric)

IMG_4354.jpeg

Reassembled:

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

Test:

Last edited:
Thanks @Green Bean ! Very satisfying for sure. Now, onto the headlight switch.

Problem: 1st pull on the headlight switch, only headlights come on. 2nd pull, All lights. Seems the headlights and parking light wires are swapped somewhere.

With the defrost tube, it is rather annoying digging around in there working on the light switch. Grrrrr. But....that is next on the list.

Hazard switch. Normal course of action might be to find another or buy one. However a small flat head screwdriver to carefully pry open the tabs and wiring harness revealed what I'd hoped to be an easy fix:

View attachment 3436280

Quite a bit of dirt and grime fell out - and comparing the contacts....I saw exactly why GO and GR were not passing 12V. (Which if you are rebuilding one, I made this diagram):

If you have the switch in your hand, removed from the truck and look in the end of the plug:

View attachment 3436313

1. With the switch pushed in (OFF) pins 2 and 3 will have continuity with each other and none else. (this allows current to flow through your normal turn signals)
2. With the switch pulled out (ON) pins 4, 5 and 6 will have continuity with each other and none else. (this interrupts pins 2 and 3, overriding your turn signal switch and sends voltage to each side turn signal.)

View attachment 3436288

My pins 2 and 3 failed. You an see the build up on both sides.

View attachment 3436282

View attachment 3436281

Q-tip and Brasso:

View attachment 3436283

Cleaned with rubbing alcohol:

View attachment 3436284

Same thing for the other side. Then, lubricated with dielectric grease (Super Lube is dielectric)

View attachment 3436285

Reassembled:

View attachment 3436286

View attachment 3436287

Test:

Just one small addition to what you stated in case someone is reading this later and troubleshooting. In the on position, pins 1 and 2 are connected as well. This is what sends the power to the flasher and what was causing your issue (GO and GW open and not making a connection). Nice fix!

Looking for links/ideas/solutions on a muffler that looks like the original round cylinder. I'm having a hard time finding something that looks OEM.

Will continue to google around to see what I can find.
@fj40ingkc - didn’t you find something close to OEM for one of your 40s?

@fj40ingkc - didn’t you find something close to OEM for one of your 40s?
Yes I found an OEM one, last one that seems to be available, and then I bought a few mufflers trying to match the size and dimenstions. One of them seems to be just about correct and can be welded to tubing designed to match OEM route. It’s for the muffler that goes in rear behind rear axle.

I’ve had it a year now, it looks correct for the size and shape. Would need to bend the other tubes to match/buy fittings that are correct to bolt components together. I’m debating going stainless will update as I move forward :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom