1978 LPB Teardown and Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REAL good price!!
almost makes me want to buy a 45 just to have a reason for the bed and gate

Thread Revival

I'm gonna start a discussion on the direction of this build and invite any and all input from the peanut gallery.

I had decided a while ago that this 45 would have more off-road capability than my BJ42 which will remain stock (save for 2.5" OME and 33's). Having just returned from Cruise Moab over a three day drive with no radio I had time to postulate a plan.

Here is what I'm thinking.... in addition to the 3BT/h55f/4.7 Toybox/splitcase, Roll cage, custom seats & mounts, dash, long range fuel tank, York OBA etc that I am already doing...

Front:
60 Series axle - outboarded frame mounts
OME 2.5" springs - have these already
SOA
Saginaw PS conversion
High-steer - 4x4Labs maybe
U-bolt flip - umm, by default
Some gussets for the pumpkin and ball
37" rubber
2.5" backspace wheels
Gearing change if better suited
ARB locker
Shackle reversal - not comitted to this yet
Smaller diameter steering wheel - mini truck maybe

Rear:
60 series FF
4-link
bob the frame
no bed - highly custom aluminum tray w/drawers and tent mount
37" rubber obviously, same as front :hillbilly:
Detroit locker

The tray will look like a stock LWB bed but in aluminum and shorter and the sides will pull out like drawers. Likewise, the tailgate will flop down to access more storage compartments. The RTT mounting will be low, below the cab. Maybe even right down at the bed rails. I might design a way to lift the tent to deployment height using leverage and an air cylinder. Real James Bond type stuff.

I know. I was thinking the same thing.

Can I be the first peanut? I love everything you just said but you lost me at 'Bob the bed'. Spring over with 37", your departure angle is going to be silly steep even with a factory bed. It will look much better with full bed and give you more storage.

Steering: go 60 series and it will tie in better with your axles. I'd also want a selectable locker in the rear, given it snows sometimes where you are.

6H9 or 6L4, that puppy is going to be the Belle of the ball at the next cruise moab.

Last edited:
Kevin, take a look at my build, the "Ugly Duckling." Much of what you are contemplating Don FC187 on Pirate has done to my rig. Not sure how I missed you at CM. I was the bloke hobbling along on crutches and driving the dark FZJ80.

:cheers:

Steve

P.S. either the cage or bed bob happens next week, depending on what Don feels like diving into.

If you are going to stray that far from stock:

make the cab longer and shorten the box appropriately at the front

45Kevin said:
If you are going to stray that far from stock:

make the cab longer and shorten the box appropriately at the front

Yes! Now THAT is a good idea!

Josh,

The axle is centered 4' from the rear of the truck so going up roughly 2" with tires and 6" with lift is still gonna present a big overhang. A bob may still be required.

Sag steering is stronger, so some say, and might be easier to do and retain my two battery towers. Also, nothing mounted to the outside of the frame.

6h9 all the way!

Steve,

We were sitting across the aisle from you when your ticket was pulled. I kinda wanted to grab the mike and introduce myself... Not for my ego but to let those who might want to say hi know who I was. I'll check your build out.

Kevin, the cab is "done" and I'm not sure I want to cut it apart again. Gotta think on that a while.

Kevin, the cab is "done" and I'm not sure I want to cut it apart again. Gotta think on that a while.

It ain't done 'till the fat lady sings.:D

Very interested in your cage design as I have recently aquired a 45 myself, maybe you covered it earlier in the thread, I can't remember.

Kevin, I find it ironic that the person who reproduces the best beds in the world. doesnt want to run one! I ran a full length bed for 12 years with plenty of overhang and big sluice at rubicon was really the only time I would bang the rocks! Yes I ran 40 inch bogggers, but I think the overhang thing is over rated, I would rather bang a few rocks and have the extra space.I guess it boils down to how you intend to use the truck! Now get back on it,cant wait to see the finished product!

whitey45 said:
Kevin, I find it ironic that the person who reproduces the best beds in the world. doesnt want to run one! I ran a full length bed for 12 years with plenty of overhang and big sluice at rubicon was really the only time I would bang the rocks! Yes I ran 40 inch bogggers, but I think the overhang thing is over rated, I would rather bang a few rocks and have the extra space.I guess it boils down to how you intend to use the truck! Now get back on it,cant wait to see the finished product!

I'm with you Whitey. I wheeled my troopy all over and overhang was almost never an issue but space was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom