Scarlet our 1966 FJ45 LPB Restomod (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cppilot

1965 FJ45 LPB original second owner
SILVER Star
Threads
After contemplating and sole searching I decided several months back to take one of our 45’s, a 1966 LPB to be exact to another level.

We found the engine and some other components here on mud from another member.

This truck was not stock and had been repainted before. Never thought a true Restomod was an option as I’m more in line with the all stock mind set. However after watching Nolan create some true master pieces out of some old relics, I thought maybe I might test the waters, “ by no way to the same level”.

Well I did more than test the waters. I jumped in with no life preserver. Full disclosure, I did not perform most of this work. I decided to sell or trade away most of the true 45 parts that I wouldn’t be using so one, I couldn’t change my mind and two I could make the pocket book feel like it was less empty. 😳 A few members here on mud were the recipients of those parts….Thank you.

My thought was to go with the cummins power plant, upgraded FJ60 axels and brakes, late model FJ60 seats with a custom frame to get the most out of the cab leg room wise, NV4500 transmission, late model Toyota split transfer case, new Bilstein shocks and added some creature comforts since this will be driven daily. We added a Dakota Digital gauge cluster and a Vintage air and heating system just to name a few. We are still working out some kinks but we are very happy with the results. we still have lots of sound deadening to do and a few other things. We wanted to keep the original look for the most part and I think we accomplished that. It’s a work truck that will be used.

Here are a few photos of Scarlet…..she drives wonderful.
Regards
Mark
IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9476.jpeg
IMG_9531.jpeg
IMG_9547.jpeg

Last edited:
After contemplating and sole searching I decided several months back to take one of our 45’s, a 1966 LPB to be exact to another level.

We found the engine and some other components here on mud from another member.

This truck was not stock and had been repainted before. Never thought a true Restomod was an option as I’m more in line with the all stock mind set. However after watching Nolan create some true master pieces out of some old relics, I thought maybe I might test the waters, “ by no way to the same level”.

Well I did more than test the waters. I jumped in with no life preserver. Full disclosure, I did not perform most of this work. I decided to sell or trade away most of the true 45 parts that I wouldn’t be using so one, I couldn’t change my mind and two I could make the pocket book feel like it was less empty. 😳 A few members here on mud were the recipients of those parts….Thank you.

My thought was to go with the cummins power plant, upgraded FJ60 axels and brakes, late model FJ60 seats with a custom frame to get the most out of the cab leg room wise, NV4500 transmission, late model Toyota split transfer case, new Bilstein shocks and add some creature comforts since this will be driven dailey. We added a Dakota Digital gauge cluster and a Vintage air and heating system just to name a few. We are still working out some kinks but we are very happy with the results. we still have lots of sound deadening to do and a few other things. We wanted to keep the original look for the most part and I think we accomplished that. It’s a work truck that will be used.

Here are a few photos of Scarlet…..she drives wonderful.
Regards
MarkView attachment 3452595View attachment 3452596View attachment 3452597View attachment 3452598
Beautiful Mark. Curious how you handled the spring perches on the front FJ60 axle, I thought that springs needed to be out boarded wider than the factory FJ40/45 perch width to clear the pumpkin/use the factory FJ60 spring perch locations. Look forward to seeing more details on the build.

Thanks EWheeler, the old FJ60 perches were taken off and new perches were added. I can get you a picture of that if you need one.

Used the FJ60 parking brake a relocated it to the left of the drivers seat …
IMG_9554.jpeg
awesome set up. An actual parking brake that works….

I didn’t say that….😀

wow, many more pictures please. I don't think you will be able to post too many :)

Here ya go Matt. I have lots of little things left to do but wanted to get some miles on her. Headliner, Dynamat, touch up paint etc.

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9495.jpeg

Thanks Michael…that is the plan.

Couple shots of the twin sticks we put in and the Vintage air/system. Both are working fantastic. The A/C will run you right out of the small cab🥶

IMG_9571.jpeg
IMG_9573.jpeg

Mark,

Nice work! Please post some before and after videos of driving with and without the sound deadening. I’d love to hear the Cummins. Looks like a 4BT? Did you have any performance work done to the engine?

What engine and transmission mounts did you use?

Last edited:
Hi Chris, Thank you. I will definitely post up some before and after with Dynamat installed. Trying to get a bunch of miles on before that process. A lot of work was done before I got the engine. Dowel pin, 3000+ RPM governor spring, fluid dampener, valve upgrade, upgraded ARP head bolts and much more.
We have have a custom made “not by me” transmission mount that came with the package.

My buddy’s shop made our own motor mounts.

Now, if it road and sounded like a Ferrari that would be nice. 😀 however as we all know they do gather just as many thumbs 👍 as a Ferrari on the road….😀

It does remind me of my other car I put lots of miles on 🚒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom