0 to 60 times. How slow/fast is your 80? w/ videos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In for video! :) what tire size and any armor?
I am running 35x10.50 Super Swamper SSR on 15" wheels, 4.10 gears. Basic ARB/Slider/rear Bumper set-up. I will snap some video. With fj60 case it will do one hell of a burn-out.

Imagine what would happen with a few pounds of boost :)
too much of a good thing IMO! You would need oil coolers, charge cooler, etc. The l92 makes a mountain of torque compared to the LS3, which I felt was a little peaky. But yes, an LSA would be fun.

I'm getting about 11.0 seconds on two runs

1996 80 series, Safari intercooled turbo. Boosting 6 psi max, 5565 ft elevation, 41F, ARB non-winch front bumper, 285/75/16 tires (measuring 31.75 inches), 171,000 miles

Stone stock '94-could use tuneup-225k. 34f -around 600ft above sea level-87e10- dog and tools about equal to no rear seats or running boards- 11.7 0-60

Test and tune night at the drag strip. I tried to get other local FZJ80's out there to race me, but no one showed up.

Stone stock '94-could use tuneup-225k. 34f -around 600ft above sea level-87e10- dog and tools about equal to no rear seats or running boards- 11.7 0-60
Any vids of this? I'm curious as to how it's nearly 4 seconds faster than my brothers stock '94 with 250k miles.

Anyone using this free app for your android phone

Using the above app

6220lbs
35's
stock drive train with part time
Snorkel :grinpimp:

0-60 ↔ 14.67
1/4 mile ↔ 18.53 @ 70.46mph

Being part time I experience a large amount of wheel spin off the line that likely tainted my overall time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
GPS has it limitations when measuring speed. Cruising at a steady state, in a straight line over a relatively long interval it is going to be accurate. To use for determining speed and acceleration over 1/8 or 1/4 mile times the GPS sampling rate is not sufficient for any level of accuracy.

Maybe I can mount my camera or find something else as I used my phone app for stopwatch. No cars in eve coming I474 west-stopped in the middle of highway and floored. Probably looks a few degrees up hill as it's west headed out of the IL River Valley toward Bartonville. Phone in hand next to speedo. Very easy. 11.72 exactly. Left off the .02 for reaction time accuracy. Feels like it rolls much more freely in cold weather after 10-15 miles driving and axle/bearing/transfer lubes thin out. I can almost go down hills without brakes when cold. Will try more but seemed like slow motion watching it rise.

Very vague statement all depends on the GPS. The standard for measuring vehicle dynamics is via GPS. Most popular is the Vbox. Not to mention many many people track road race cars with GPS phone apps. most modern GPS will be easy more than capable for our trucks. So what if the difference is 12.1 or 12.2 it's not world records we are looking for just close.

GPS has it limitations when measuring speed. Cruising at a steady state, in a straight line over a relatively long interval it is going to be accurate. To use for determining speed and acceleration over 1/8 or 1/4 mile times the GPS sampling rate is not sufficient for any level of accuracy.

Very vague statement all depends on the GPS. The standard for measuring vehicle dynamics is via GPS. Most popular is the Vbox. Not to mention many many people track road race cars with GPS phone apps. most modern GPS will be easy more than capable for our trucks. So what if the difference is 12.1 or 12.2 it's not world records we are looking for just close.
Yes and no. Depending the receiver and location it can greatly deviate. True probably not enough effect anything, but there are a couple straight aways here that would be perfect for 0-60 run, but also happens to be in a GPS vortex. Can't get signal in an open spot. (I've tried many GPS's in this area, no worky)

We aren't talking about GPS signal reception, yes a GPS won't work without reception we are talking about a GPS with reception and whether or not the sampling rate is high enough.

Two very different things. My arguement isn't that if you don't have reception you should still use a GPS ;)

We aren't talking about GPS signal reception, yes a GPS won't work without reception we are talking about a GPS with reception and whether or not the sampling rate is high enough.

Two very different things. My arguement isn't that if you don't have reception you should still use a GPS ;)
So with GPS reception within location 26meters reported from the device is as accurate as it reporting within 6meters?

(Not arguing, really just asking)

If you're using your phone the accelerometer makes up for the variation.
Gotcha. I rarely use the GPS on my phone. Or at least for these things. I don't have my 80 back yet, so my results will wait until then. I will use my phone :)

If any of you guys have an ultragauge, it will measure a variety of performance measures. I haven't done mine because I know it's going to take two calendar weeks.

If any of you guys have an ultragauge, it will measure a variety of performance measures. I haven't done mine because I know it's going to take two calendar weeks.
You have one of those new fangled land cruisers I presume ;)

Comparing my results with others it seems the phone to be as good as a guy with the stop watch in hand.

I downloaded it today (free!) And tried it on the way home tonight. Interesting, the system won't start until you are completely stopped. I felt it was quite accurate and quick to respond down to the 100th of a second. At least there would be a set measuring device acriss the board for this excersize so folks can compare better. It was much easier this way: Push start and as soon as the vehicle starts to move, the system kicks in and starts timing you. You just keep it pegged until you go past 60 then look at the results which are provided in several increments.

Only downside is I can't forward the results to download so I will post a pic of my phone screen in the am. Now Im going to go measure my injected V8 FJ40 this weekend and compare what and how much difference there is 0-60.

Anyone using this free app for your android phone

Using the above app

6220lbs
35's
stock drive train with part time
Snorkel :grinpimp:

0-60 ↔ 14.67
1/4 mile ↔ 18.53 @ 70.46mph

Being part time I experience a large amount of wheel spin off the line that likely tainted my overall time.:rolleyes:
? I'm part time. Maybe you need new tires? I'm lucky to break tires loos in the rain in a straight line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom